Sign in to follow this  
bensoncpwong

BETA TEAM

in my case, six million dollars in unmarked bills in a large suitcase  to Ryan's vacation fund did the trick ;)

- Jane Whittaker

how can we join the beta team ?

You can start by signing your full name to your posts per PMDG forum rules! Just add your name to your signature.

How can we join the beta team ?

When I was picked to join the FSL beta team it was due to the fact I had 19 years experience operating the aircraft, same goes for most other tester, they're usually people who work on the aircraft, who fly it, who perform maintainence etc.

The balance of testers is made up by members who have over the years shown character that makes them suited to the role or possess an indepth knowledge of the sim. I'd imagine the exact same applies with PMDG or any company. Simply put, you need to bring skills to the table to be asked to test for them.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Who really wants to be a beta-tester?

Beta-testing requires a lot of knowledge, self-discipline, patience, skills. And it includes a lot of dull repeating tasks that are nowhere near just flying the aircraft the way you like it.

I tell testers, rather facetiously, I'd be envious, but actually it's more of an admiration thing ...

Yeah, it's not as fun as people think it is, very tedious and repetitious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

By beta- are you referencing wide or techteam type? I will admit for this you do need a fair bit of spare time - however it's still very fun to myself. Maybe it'd be different if it was for an aircraft I'm not as fabbed about. In the meantime, I'm having a in blast helping the guys at PMDG to make this as perfect as it can be...

I think a lot of people have a wrong idea about these betas. When a big developer like DICE or EA release a beta, more often than not, they do it to draw people in, if they hadn't already made up their mind about buying a certain game.

When developers like PMDG release a beta, they want to find bugs, so they release it to a pretty tiny group, and they work very, very close together with that group. It takes up quite a lot of your free time, and you don't just get to do what you want. You might be going over certain sequences 20-30 times in a row, just to make sure everything works out.

Is it fun? Sure!

Is it tedious? Well, yeah, from time to time.

It's almost as tedious as reading these threads with titles like:

**How do I get to be a Beta tester?

**Will the 777 have weather radar?

**Will the 777 have a 2D cockpit?

**Why isn't the 777 out yet?....they PROMISED it a long time ago!!

**The 777 model has incorrect colors

<GROAN!!>

Edited to add:

**Will PMDG put out a 767?

**Will PMDG put out an Airbus plane?

Too many people think Betas are ways to "get free addons, quicker."

This simply is not the case. It can be a very tedious, methodical process that (in the FS world) combines software and aircraft test practices. I'm a beta tester for another aircraft addon and can assure you of this. Basically taking a piece of software that is supposed to model an aircraft, making sure it works as software, then running it through the gauntlet of AC 25-7C test methods and almost "re-certifying" it for the virtual world.

Rewarding? Yes. Easy? Absolutely not.

(Though, by profession I'm a Flight Test Engineer, and attended National Test Pilot School...so maybe my brain isn't quite all there to begin with to be doing this at work and home for fun ;) )

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Come on guys, calm down the guy didnt say i wanna have fun with the beta

He just asked of i can be in the team

Maybe he has the skills :)

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I think a lot of people have a wrong idea about these betas. When a big developer like DICE or EA release a beta, more often than not, they do it to draw people in, if they hadn't already made up their mind about buying a certain game.

When developers like PMDG release a beta, they want to find bugs, so they release it to a pretty tiny group, and they work very, very close together with that group. It takes up quite a lot of your free time, and you don't just get to do what you want. You might be going over certain sequences 20-30 times in a row, just to make sure everything works out.

Is it fun? Sure!

Is it tedious? Well, yeah, from time to time.

It's also different in terms of MMO, often it's not really the game itself that needs testing but getting thousands of players to put an heavy load on the servers to test stability which you can't easily do. And some don't do their share and gets in trouble like on Diablo 3 or Sim City.

I'm not a beta tester on aircraft, but sure in case of PMDG it is much more to check everything behave properly as they should in real life, which requires a lot more knowledge.

Not easy at all! I've done a couple of Betas for games and Flight Sim addons and it's a lot of work! Forget doing the same ILS approach you're used to do, you're gonna need to test all different kind of them, fly all over the world to test NavData Issues, test flight at the edge of the envelope, engine out, stall, check the fuel burn matches the original documents, between many other things!

But now I understand PMDG is testing the PMDG 777 on different PC Setups, different OS, Different FSX.cfg tweaks, the technical part is probably ready by now.

Alexis Mefano