Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

a free forum

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

hiya all i am currently updating my website could anyone tell me if there are any free forums around so i can have somewhere to discuss my painting thanks any help is apreaciatedshane strong

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

i dont even know what php is lolthanksshane

PHP is a free programming language used on a lot of websites. Checkout www.php.net for more info on this. PHP runs on a webserver which is capable of using PHP, for instance Apache (www.apache.org). If you want to use for instance a forum on your site and you expect a large number of posts inside, you will need a database to store all messages. Html is just a way of presenting information on the screen. Just like your reading this now. Most likely you have ticked a box on this message to retrieve a notification when somebody answered on your question. This is done by PHP. PHP is the one that does all the action, calculates, provides the commands and presents the html codes for your screen.When you clicked in the reply-notification you received earlier from avsim, it automatically opened a website and browsed to this message. Browsing to the message was done by PHP and I suspect mySQL, the database itself. All the commands for this forum to use for opening, searching, adding, updating and deleting information is done by PHP. So if you have a webserver such as Apache, which is enabled for PHP which normally is, you can use PHP. If you are in the lucky situation the webserver has a database such as mySQL or alternatively Microsoft Access or text files, you can use a strong forummechanism such as phpBB.The forum of avsim is also based on PHP and I suspect mySQL as a database. mySQL is free of charge in most cases (www.mySQL.com). It makes work easier when you have some kind of knowledge of php when you start with downloading and configuring the forums and other addons, because there are many of them, a lot, huge number, too many so you cannot choose!There are many guides on the net for PHP, mySQL. Start of at www.php.org. But first be sure that you can access a webserver with PHP first (locally or webhost) so you can learn.Oh, once you get hooked to PHP, well.... start thinking whether you still want to use the flightsimulator. Your will site will be boosting.

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

thanks the only thing i know is my new server will support cgi can i still use it or do i go with something differentshane