Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How is FTX Global in India? Plus, a 'complaint'!

First, I have given up after several attempts trying to get any sensible information from the FTX forums themselves. I registered, validated the account as asked and finally, after lots of errors, managed to sign in. I am taken to a welcome page where I am supposed to post first, but as far as I can see you have to buy something before you can access so you can put your purchase number.. is there no possibility of pre-purchase questions? I wrote a message and pressed 'Reply' and was taken to a page which said "Oops we can't find that' and that I don't have permission to access the forums. Really, it's like trying to get into Fort Knox and my inclinations to buy anything from them at all have declined. Thanks heavens for the AVSIM FTX forum!

I was wanting to ask there, of anyone who has bought FTX  Global, how India looks.. I was lucky enough to live in India for some years, travelling all over the country in that time, and so I love to fly there in FS9 and FSX. But the landclass is nothing like the reality. For example, flying over the western ghats, the landscape changes from the green and browns of Kerala to the yellows and reds of Tamil Nadu - spectacular from the air. If FTX Global reproduced that, that would be a good indication that this is a product I should consider. Anyone able to report on this?

I wouldn't try to get back into their forums though. What an awful first impression! This is a commercial enterprise: do they actually what to sell their stuff??

Martin

welcome  to forum  just to add  ftx  forums are not  the only  forums  that require you to add your purchase orders, I could name  a few here just for  starters   f1 b200 you need to register  first so cant  see  why  you just complain about  ftx. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi 

Iam from Mumbai and did notice that the textures look great, but that is where it ends.The scenery is not accurate and the coast along with the landmarks are off.I would probably wait for a land class product to be out to further judge.

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

I wouldn't try to get back into their forums though. What an awful first impression! This is a commercial enterprise: do they actually what to sell their stuff??

The very same first impression I had with the Orbx forums. My first foray was just after Orbx release PNW. At the time you didn't have to own an Orbx product to pose a question; so I asked about the logging roads around Comox Lake on Vancouver Island not being included (I had noticed this on a friends FSX system running Orbx PNW). All the Orbx fans became very defensive until Holger Sandmann posted that they hadn't included the roads in the initial release (they showed up in SP001).

Since then I haven't bothered with the Orbx forums, except for here at AVSIM (thanks to their unofficial Orbx forum).

... you need to register  first so cant  see  why  you just complain about  ftx.

I did register, and can log in, as I said. But I am not allowed even to see any forums: at least that's the only page I can get to: "Access Denied". I am not motivated enough to try any more and they will probably lose a large sale as they have already annoyed me before I even think of parting with any cash. Bad retail psychology I'd say... disenchant potential customers!!

Well, I've been simming pretty much every day for almost 12 years and belong to dozens of forums (though I only come here regularly) and so far, FTX is the only forum I have tried to join (as far as I can recall at least) where I have had this problem. I'll stick to this one, though I have no definite plans to buy FTX Global at the moment

Thanks Clintferns, that's what I suspected. I doubt any good landclass for FSX India will appear by this stage, sadly. I hope I am wrong. I can't help but feel that to get FTX Global, at no mean cost, only to find totally the wrong landclass in places that one knows well, kind of defeats the object, as beautiful as the view may be (and it looks from screenshots on their site that ORBX does make FSX look beautiful, even when 'wrong'!)

I registered a few weeks ago on the Orbx forum without any problems and I could post within no time. Take note that you ONLY have to add your order number if you have a support question on the support forum! You do not have to have bought something at all if you simply want to post something somewhere else there.

About landclass for India: OpenLC should do the trick but it will take some time before it will be released.

If you want to, I can make a screenshot of a specific location with FTXG so you can compare it with what you've got right now: just post the exact coordinates (or simply an airport of which you want to see the surroundings).

I can't access any forum even when logged in, I keep getting that stupid 'Ooops, we can't find it' page.... But that's OK, I'll use this forum, if and when ...

Thanks for the info. What's OpenLC? I did buy OpenVRF landclass for India and Nepal, but either I had problems with it, or I wasn't impressed (I can't recall which) and after a while I uninstalled it.

Thanks too for the screenshot offer. Will try to post one back here before too long...

What's OpenLC?

These are the openLC landclass addon packs that Orbx is releasing for FTX Global (which you must have in order for the pack to work).

Ah, OK, thanks. I'll wait till I see some screenshots first I think..

Here are screenshots of what I have now, taken above the western ghats. I reinstalled OpenVFR, so as to compare their rendition too. It's an improvement over the default, but the straight lines between LC boundaries get worse out of screenshot, Not nice (though I don't recall if that was the reason why I uninstalled the files). The mountains are better in OpenVFR (they are NOT covered in cultivated fields!), but the real and HUGE difference is that the Kerala side should be a mass of coconut trees (not much by way of cultivated fields there) and the Tamil Nadu side, though very well-cultivated, is not green at all. It's all yellow sand and deep red earth (beautiful!).

I know this is in a sense 'details' but as I said above, there's little incentive to spend so much money when areas I love to fly in are so unlike their real-world counterparts. Maybe when the FTX landclass projects are more advanced. I guess it's a lot of work!!

FSX - looking west...

FSX - looking east...

OpenVFR - looking west...

OpenVFR - looking east...

Just to add to J van E's post above.

You do not need to purchase a product to register on the ORBX forums.

You DO need to follow all the validation instructions by posting a single post in the correct forum. Not overly complicated.

The extra validation became necessary due to inundation with SPAM accounts. It's a once only process, but needs to be completed or the security scripts will invalidate the account after a preset period.

For those interested in the thread on Mike's logging roads issue, it can be viewed here.

http://orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19328-PNW-Logging-Roads

And yes, you do need a validated logged in account to see the link.

FSX - looking east...

I am having a hard time reading those coordinates. ^_^ Is it

N8° 37.37' E77° 12.85'

...? When I load these I don't see what I see on the screenshots. Or do you maybe also use addon mesh?

For those interested in the thread on Mike's logging roads issue, it can be viewed here.

As an interesting aside, Orbx PNW logging road/trail coverage in the area is still lacking compared to UTX Canada. On the other hand, Orbx PNW is so vastly superior in every other way in this region that I really can't complain. :smile:

Sorry, that's because I lowered the quality of the screenshots to reduce the upload size! Yes, the co-ordinates are N8 37.37  E77 12.84 @ 7600 ft

I use FSGenesis mesh too.

"You DO need to follow all the validation instructions by posting a single post in the correct forum. Not overly complicated."

I didn't imply it was 'complicated' (I am many things, but not, I like to think, stupid), but I did state that it didn't work. I got to the forum (thread, I mean) where it says you must post one message and I tried to post one. This was after receiving the validation email to my account and following the link. I logged on OK. When I try to post the required message I get a page with the 'Ooops....' and a message saying I don't have the right to post. But as I say, I am really not interested in trying again - I wasted half an hour on it this morning. Maybe once I decide to buy something it may be worthwhile having another go.

This is what I get with those coordinates and MAG at 355... doesn't really looks like one of yours but that may be the mesh (EDIT I think it looks most like your 'FSX - looking east' screenshot: only the rocky part in the front is missing). Anyway, the chance in the colors of the fields can't be seen here, so I guess you would indeed need new landclass for that. I like the colors and variation in this shot more then in your 'FSX - looking east- shot but of course I have no clue which one is more realistic.

9427069965_c357405904_o.jpg

When I try to post the required message I get a page with the 'Ooops....' and a message saying I don't have the right to post. But as I say, I am really not interested in trying again - I wasted half an hour on it this morning.

No. Can't say I would either.

Can you post your ORBX forum name here, and someone can unlock whatever is blocking your account.

There have been some major datacenter (er, problems) in the last 24 hours, so possible you fell victim to those.

Scratch that. Found you. Will get the account reset.