Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How is FTX Global in India? Plus, a 'complaint'!

OK thanks for that, 'hcornea'. I think you get the gist of this post though (which was really to get feedback on flying FSX in India, rather than grumble!). When some FTX LC is available that makes India (and other places) look less like England's Green & Pleasant Land, I may go for FTX Global (even though 95% of my simming is with FS9).

J van E - you have no terrain mesh? At those co-ordinates you should be seeing something more akin to mountains, gentle though they are: the Ghats are hardly the Himalayas (my screenshots are not of the 'craggiest' parts!), but even so... Certainly the fields and roads in both screenshots are way off the mark. The OpenVFR one is much closer (but either side of the Ghats is totally wrong, as I mentioned).

I have vivid memories of the scenery and flew across on a few occasions (sadly I took no photos) - though normally I took the train across. (I should have a look at Rajasthan in FSX - more wonderful scenery, desert this time). It's always been a bit of a disappointment to me that India (landclass especially) has been relatively badly served in FS. One sixth of the world's population live there, after all, and the scenery is so diverse. An FSX/FS9 'no brainer', I would have thought!

I have reinstated OpenVFR to my FSX setup by the way - I don't remember why I uninstalled it now, I know it was causing some problem or other, but the Ghats there look a lot better than the default FSX pastoral idyll...

M

Thought some may like to see what this should look like. The first shows an aerial photo & the colour difference. Then some specifics - green is west side, and the red earth is east, in Tamil Nadu (and makes me very nostalgic for the place!!).

M.

Hi 

Iam from Mumbai and did notice that the textures look great, but that is where it ends.The scenery is not accurate and the coast along with the landmarks are off.I would probably wait for a land class product to be out to further judge.

Thanks for that Clinton, as I tend to fly a lot from VAGO-VABB in R/L and the OP's remarks about the visual changes on the Western Ghats is spot-on. Have held back going for the FTX Global although I do have several of their other sceneries

Thought some may like to see what this should look like. The first shows an aerial photo & the colour difference. Then some specifics - green is west side, and the red earth is east, in Tamil Nadu (and makes me very nostalgic for the place!!).

M.

attachicon.gifGhats (1).jpg

attachicon.gifGhats (2).jpg

attachicon.gifGhats (3).jpg

attachicon.gifGhats (4).jpg

3rd pic, saw that when I visited Mahableshwar. Yes, agree with you, a land of contrasts from the western greens from Kerala to Goa and above to the eastern baked of TN.

OMG...please not again.

1. The forums over at FTX are great.  Logging in and out etc. are as easy as anywhere.  Their protocols protect them from being hacked.

2. Don't complain - read the material that is readily available over at FTX that explains what this product does and does not do.  If you don't understand, don't be embarrassed, nobody expects you to be an authority on the inner workings of FSX,  just ask someone to clarify.  Inquire, pose or offer comment, suggestions and advice...leave out the snarky stuff. 

3. If your interested in a particular part of the planet post here or over there and ask someone to post some particular screenshots of that area, I did that already over at FTX for PEI and Charlottetown (Canada eh) and I got what I wanted.  You will have success over there, there are tons of folks willing to help.

cheers, Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Inquire, pose or offer comment, suggestions and advice...leave out the snarky stuff.

Good advice when posting on any forum! :smile:

"OMG".. I am sorry Bryan, I guess maybe you are trying to help, but I really don't need to be patronised like that. "If you don't understand something, don't be embarrassed"... What's to understand?? I did EXACTLY what was required to register, as per instructions and I was told I can't access the forum. I tried several times and still I got the same 'oops' error messages. After almost half an hour I gave up, my time (and patience) are limited. I can manage just fine without the FTX forum if it won't let me in. Maybe I hit a temporary gIitch in the forums, but the result is the same.

Why can't you believe things happened as I say, rather than write such a reply? Am I a liar? Or of very low IQ? I can't see what else you could be implying. As I said, I have signed up to dozens of forums in the 20 years (or whatever it is) I have been using the internet and whilst I appreciate the reasons for the SPAM protection FTX has set up,I am not going to persist in trying to post on their forums for more than a certain period of time. I felt frustrated that the forum won't let me in, despite following the instructions to the letter, and expressed it, pretty gently, here, insulting or demeaning no one personally. If it all worked for you and you could post immediately with no problem, great. I am very happy for you.

If you have to begin your post "OMG, not again" maybe you should consider the possibility that some people may have a problem with the FTX forums, rather than saying it so that it means "OMG, not another idiot" (which in the context it very clearly does of course).

What I don't appreciate above all is advice on how to post here. Look back at my posts, over 2600 of them since 2003. I am not given to being 'snarky'. It can't of course come across in anything I write, but I am, I think, a really nice guy, friendly and of a generation that deplores the rudeness that seems all too common on so many forums these days. I post 'politely', even now, I hope, when I am, I admit, a little bit riled, when the implication is that I am just a little bit unintelligent.

I am sorry Bryan if you meant everything you said in a different way, and were simply trying to help, but as worded your post comes across as a bit of a personal slap in the face.

If anyone else replies, can we please stick to the main point about the Indian landclass. Thanks.

Not meant to be directed at "you".  Just my good advice to all those posting.  Its only patronizing should "you" think that "you" is directed toward "you".  My mistake...should have clarified, sorry.  You is the collective you.

OMG...please not again...is leading....hoping that this tread does not deteriorate into one similar to those earlier this week on Orbx/FTX bashing.  Sorry not meant to be directed toward "you".

To put it bluntly, there is nothing wrong with Orbx forums IMHO, 

Sorry don't have the product to be able to help by posting screenshots. FTXG is well explained, well documented.  I don't own it (yet), not sure I will get it because its limited without good mesh, UTX or other vector information and good landclass.  I have all FTX regions (except Wales) and they are probably the most satisfying products I have ever owned.  All those texture issues are dealt with by custom autogen, landclass, additional mesh and vector info.

And the reason there is this Unofficial Orbx forum here is because of me, enjoy...and Tom took a heck of a beating from JV over it.

First, I have given up after several attempts trying to get any sensible information from the FTX forums themselves. I registered, validated the account as asked and finally, after lots of errors, managed to sign in. I am taken to a welcome page where I am supposed to post first, but as far as I can see you have to buy something before you can access so you can put your purchase number.. is there no possibility of pre-purchase questions? I wrote a message and pressed 'Reply' and was taken to a page which said "Oops we can't find that' and that I don't have permission to access the forums. Really, it's like trying to get into Fort Knox and my inclinations to buy anything from them at all have declined. Thanks heavens for the AVSIM FTX forum!

{cut out}

I wouldn't try to get back into their forums though. What an awful first impression! This is a commercial enterprise: do they actually what to sell their stuff??

Martin

My suggestion on the FTX forums, complete the logon, set to always logged on.  Subscribe to the Announcments, Paywere and Compatibility forums to keep up with what is happening in Orbxland and their payware addons.  Their service is some of the best!

NEW POST

Have you tried this product?  It might make a difference?

Also, has anyone else tried this landclass (or anyother that might be out there) with FTXG

http://www.scenerytech.com/products/landclass/asia.htm#coverage

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thanks Bryan. I HATE any sort of 'forum one-upmanship', which seems to be everywhere these days. Kids, I imagine (as a teacher), but who knows.... "I make myself look intelligent by making you look dumb" kind of thing, and |I guess you agree with that. I hate disputes too, even with folks I don't know, especially on a forum such as this, which I have valued for so long. Maybe I am a bit too much of an 'English gentleman', or at least aspire to be!!! :P

But back to the landclass. When FTX produces (as I gather from this thread they will) landclass to fit in with the FTX global, I'll think again. At the moment, from what I see, the areas are better served, LC-wise, by OpenVFR so I'll stick with that (but will investigate your link too of course).

If I actually buy FTXGlobal one day, I'll give the forum another try, maybe I'll be able to access it next time. I am registered for now anyway... meanwhile, thanks for starting up this one! I didn't know it was your 'baby'

Martin

... you need to register  first so cant  see  why  you just complain about  ftx.

I did register, and can log in, as I said. But I am not allowed even to see any forums: at least that's the only page I can get to: "Access Denied". I am not motivated enough to try any more and they will probably lose a large sale as they have already annoyed me before I even think of parting with any cash. Bad retail psychology I'd say... disenchant potential customers!!

Well, I've been simming pretty much every day for almost 12 years and belong to dozens of forums (though I only come here regularly) and so far, FTX is the only forum I have tried to join (as far as I can recall at least) where I have had this problem. I'll stick to this one, though I have no definite plans to buy FTX Global at the moment

Thanks Clintferns, that's what I suspected. I doubt any good landclass for FSX India will appear by this stage, sadly. I hope I am wrong. I can't help but feel that to get FTX Global, at no mean cost, only to find totally the wrong landclass in places that one knows well, kind of defeats the object, as beautiful as the view may be (and it looks from screenshots on their site that ORBX does make FSX look beautiful, even when 'wrong'!)

Go back and read the instructions again.

You don't have to add your order number. You just have to "introduce" yourself in the thread they've designated. It's just for spam control. I haven't bothered to put my order numbers on my account and I post there all the time. 

I got confused my first time over there to. But as soon as you post in that thread everything opens up. 

LATER: re your link Bryan, the Jalabad is impressive, but I have been to Sholapur (the Indian example) and I am not 100% sure that the default isn't slightly more real than the SceneryTech version - small cultivated fields like that are not that common in India, except in the north as the elevation gets higher towards the Himalayas. It doesn't look 'right' somehow. But I could be wrong ...

---------------------------------

"Go back and read the instructions again.

You don't have to add your order number. You just have to "introduce" yourself in the thread they've designated. It's just for spam control. I haven't bothered to put my order numbers on my account and I post there all the time. 

I got confused my first time over there to. But as soon as you post in that thread everything opens up".

Oh please, enough of this. I know you are trying to help, so apologise for my exasperated tone, but how much clearer can I make it? I'll refrain from replying to any more similar posts, but one last time: I tried to "introduce myself" on the forum where it says 'introduce yourself' and I even read some of the other people's 'hellos' there. I was logged in and had responded to the verification emails I had been sent. I wrote a short message and when I chose to post it I ended up on a page which said 'Ooops, we can't find that' (what??) and 'You don't have permission to post' or words to that effect, even though I could see I was logged in on the page. Obviously I didn't try to add an order number as I don't have one. This happened each time I logged out and logged back in again. I gave it a fair shot...

I hope that is clear. I am not going back to the FTX forums because by now I have become totally allergic to the very name... B)