Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

How to install MicrosoftFlightSimulator into c:/FSX

I read that it is not suggested to install FSX into the default directory which is

c:/ProgramFiles(x86)/MicrosoftGames/MicrosoftFlightSimulator.

In my case,I use Windows 7

They suggest to create a special directory,ex: c:/FSX and install FSX into that.

How can I force MFS to get installed into c:/FSX ? I install it from the DVD's

MicroSoftFlightSimulator Deluxe Edition.

Your help is appreciated

H. Werni

Herbert Werni

Before clicking on install you can choose the install location. I think it's a button somewhere in the top of the installer Window. Hope that helps

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't remember well all steps, but when installer starts, click on "more options" and you will see in the next screen option to install fsx in default or to change location.

The good idea is to install FSX on separate drive, or to leave some space for OS and create separate partition for FSX

If I remember it well there is a button called More options on the main installer screen. Click it and you will be able to choose the directory you want. BTW You can also simply create that folder while installing FSX. No real need to create it before you start installing FSX.

EDIT

Zeljko typed faster. Typing on smartphones sucks. ;)

All you have to do is to Browse( When it asks you where to install FSX) to the folder you create in you C:\

Fallow also Jan Van Es' advice.

Berlopez

put fsx on its own drive, separate from the operating system.

It is the conventional wisdom, and I wouldn't argue with that.

However...

I've had FSX in the derfault X86 Program Files for 3 years... with no issue at all. UAC off of course.

Same here Martin.  If you look in the CTD Forum at the various crash reports you'll see many individuals who had CTD's had FSX installed in a non-default directory.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Same here Martin.  If you look in the CTD Forum at the various crash reports you'll see many individuals who had CTD's had FSX installed in a non-default directory.

Best regards,

Jim

I've come across quiet a few individuals with the same experience as us Jim, no issues in X86 Program Files. I do wonder if certain flightsim gurus emphasis this stuff a little too definitively.

Interestingly, despite the fact that REX is NOT installed in X86 Program Files, it still requires the the user right click and run as Admin.

Interestingly, despite the fact that REX is NOT installed in X86 Program Files, it still requires the the user right click and run as Admin.

Because it needs access to your X86 files. IF you had FS installed outside of the x86 folder, then this wouldn't be necessary at all.

Not according to REX dev's, they state REX MUST be run by right clicking and running as Admin. This advice is given to all, regardless of FSX location.

Not that I have any issues just double clicking, but the above is what they recommend.

That's to avoid the program files issue because so many people just install there. Stating that just solves many issues all at once.