Sign in to follow this  
bakayoyo

Side-by-Side FTX Global vs default video

Side by side of OrbX FTX Global and default scenery of Prepar3D. I though it would be interesting for people who are trying to decide if FTX global is for them, and those of us who already bought it to see what this product changes. The default textures are vanila Prepar3d and should be similar to FSX.

00:00 New York City, USA
02:24 Grand Canyon, USA
04:40 London, England (w/ FTX England, global hybrid inactive)
07:32 Sydney, Australia (w/ FTX Australia, global hybrid active)
08:06 Swiss Alps, Switzerland (FSGenesis active with FTX Global)
10:33 Dusseldorf, Germany
12:36 Iquita, Peru
14:38 Las Vegas, USA
15:42 Los Angeles, USA
17:04 Hong Kong, China
18:57 Hymalayas, Nepal
20:55 Hawaii, USA

Default scenery was restored by using the scenery, texture and autogen directories of original prepar3d installation. Scenery.cfg was also set to default for both modes. Settings: Radius: Large, Mesh: 100, 5m Texture res. 7cm, Reflection: Sky, Scenery Complexity: Extremely Dense, Autogen Density: Very Dense. Note that default landclass is used in this video, and eventhough OrbX FTX England was in hybrid deactivated there are still additional building models shown from this add-on.

Thanks for this! Did you notice a difference in FPS between FTX Global and FTX England (or any of the other addons)?

so basically Global is just greener?

Thanks for this! Did you notice a difference in FPS between FTX Global and FTX England (or any of the other addons)?

Yes, FTX Global seems to render more objects so the same settings do give lower FPS especially in large cities.

I think it does more than that, the autogen is more refined in my opinion and appears more natural, but there is definately a tendancy to turn desert environments more green.

Excellent video presentation and very helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this video comparison.  Its obvious that mesh and landclass and vector info changes things as well

Another similar type of comparison would be with UTX products installed, some good mesh like FSGenesis, and maybe some land class products.

Appreciate this effort.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

The autogen annotation is much better. The autogen itself is better. The autogen density is higher and gives a better presentation, especially in cities and of forests. The texture saturation and sharpness is much better. Things stay very clear down to ground level. The textures themselves are "greener" in many areas but that's because they should be in most cases. The southern US and Europe no longer look like someone colored everything in ugly pea greens. Asia doesn't look like a barren wasteland anymore. The desert textures in the ME and Africa look great and the way they textured on dunes is pretty cool. Mountain and rock textures are done well. The farmland textures and annotated and colored much better. It's just a much better experience. 

The downside is the SW texture problems being too green, which will be fixed. Aside from that issue (which is mainly in Arizona and southern Nevada, I like everything I've seen so far.

Then there's the night lighting, with no FPS hit I've seen, that is just amazing. I stopped flying at night because it was so ugly and UTX lights were such frame hogs. Now I'm doing dusk/night flights all the time and it looks great. Dusk especially is really cool. 

Brilliant and very helpful video, bakayoyo.  :smile:  I have a stupid question though. Lets take Peru and compare. It looks like the default colours not only arise from the 'lighter' textures but from sort of looking through glasses. As if the brightness of the picture was higher on the 'default' side. Must say it isn't as obvious when you watch it in a small window, but the fullscreen mode makes it very noticeable.

I noticed that in both New York City, USA and London, England that the sky in default looks totally washed out. I know that FTX Global changes only the landclass textures, so something else was changed drastically in your setup.

Brilliant and very helpful video, bakayoyo.  :smile:  I have a stupid question though. Lets take Peru and compare. It looks like the default colours not only arise from the 'lighter' textures but from sort of looking through glasses. As if the brightness of the picture was higher on the 'default' side. Must say it isn't as obvious when you watch it in a small window, but the fullscreen mode makes it very noticeable.

I've checked the source videos. Your observation is correct. In the default run of Peru there was a low haze/cloud cover layer which washes out the colors. If you look very carefully you can see the plane come out of it when it overflies the town. In other videos there may also be slight time of day differences, and the orbx runs also have REX cloud and water textures. The conditions aren't a perfect match but it'll have to do. ;)

Thanks for clarifying, bakayoyo. As said, I've found the comparison with moving pictures to be the best help so far. Keep on doing such things. :smile: