Sign in to follow this  
beicholz

Eaglesoft on Windows 8 Flight Simulator X Thread

So I finally bought a new PC to use Eaglesoft's Cirrus add-on to help me with avionics, navigation, and IFR training (I'm a real pilot).

Well, with everything installed, Eaglesoft informed me that their software doesn't run yet on Windows 8:

"Good for you but we do not run Win8 and can’t assist more than we have already. The Cirrus series works well on Win7 and that is our suggestion.

Best Regards,

Eaglesoft Support Staff"

That leaves me with an option to downgrade to Windows 7 (a major hassle, I assume, not to mention an expense, as Microsoft does not allow downgrades on the consumer version).

So I thought I'd start this thread about Eaglesoft and Windows 8. I've seen another post, but not one that really nails all the issues I'm having. So, here goes...my first post is my first problem: Booting and sound.

Problem 1: When launching the Cirrus plane in FSX, the PC "hiccups", has trouble starting up, and the sound starts and stops in fits until it finally settles down after about a minute. When exiting (not sure if this is related), the exit is extremely slow, and hangs. Eventually, it disappears altogether. When you try to relaunch FSX, the PC thinks it's already running. Only a hard shutdown cures the problem.Any ideas?

Our response has been as follows: Note: This sticky has been in place at the head of each forum since release of Win8.

At Eaglesoft we now follow advise we gave at the Release to Market of FSX.
At that time it became common knowledge that FSX does NOT play well if users ignore UAC and Windows Defender Settings.
Here is an outline of what one user experienced with FSX on Windows 8. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396505-fsx
We suggest that all Win 8 Users have a close look with full attention to the following:

Lesson #2: Windows 8's Windows Defender is not FSX's best friend.

"I learned that excluding FSX from scans by Windows Defender to be a must for FSX on Windows 8.  

barryc99 wrote: I had a similar issue with windows 8. Noticed Windows Problem Reporting popping up in task manger.
Turned it off. Issue went away.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Problem Reporting Settings -
Never check for solutions.

Past this, we do not run Win8. Users must be aware of their new OS and what is required with FS9/FSX usage.
Eaglesoft offers 30 Day refund policy for those who are not satisfied for any reason.
It should be noted that Win7 is a proven platform for Eaglesoft Products.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

For the record, the above solution does not fix the problem. It helps. The above symptoms are AFTER disabling Defender per your Sticky. Before disabling Defender, Eaglesoft kills FSX completely. It won't even boot. It's worst if Cirrus is the default flight. If Cirrus is selected AFTER FSX boot-up, at least it works (sort of). But see above for the problems.

I get that you are a W7 shop. But the world is moving to W8, so why not listen and migrate with your customers? It's hard to find a PC now that doesn't come with W8 loaded (like the one I bought). And downgrading is costly and not easy.

FSX supports and works with W8. I suggest that it would be in your interest to have your otherwise fantastic product do the same!

In the meantime, anyone out there have any ideas on my problems? I'm guessing I'll be the first of many!

I have FSX on a 2nd drive and defender turned off for anything FSX referenes, dunno if that would help. I have the Citation X and works like a dream under Windows 8.

I suggest that it would be in your interest to have your otherwise fantastic product do the same! In the meantime, anyone out there have any ideas on my problems? I'm guessing I'll be the first of many!

We don't run Win8 in any form. What MS breaks is not in Eaglesoft wheelhouse to fix. If users ignore common knowledge and refuse to run FSX without certain settings they are on their own.

I have FSX on a 2nd drive and defender turned off for anything FSX referenes, dunno if that would help. I have the Citation X and works like a dream under Windows 8.

Confirms what we've posted: "I learned that excluding FSX from scans by Windows Defender to be a must for FSX on Windows 8."

Hans, thanks for the info. Contact me at the support email please.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hans, thanks for the info. Contact me at the support email please.

Sorry Ron, don't need support, was just suggesting what works for me with your other excellent products under windows 8, might help the OP.

Sorry Ron, don't need support, was just suggesting what works for me with your other excellent products under windows 8, might help the OP.

Of course not but I have something else to discuss with you.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Thanks, Hans! I have Windows Defender turned off completely, since all I have on this PC is FSX.

Thanks, Hans! I have Windows Defender turned off completely, since all I have on this PC is FSX.

How about this?

barryc99 wrote: I had a similar issue with windows 8. Noticed Windows Problem Reporting popping up in task manger.
Turned it off. Issue went away.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Problem Reporting Settings\Never check for solutions.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Thanks Hans, we'll discuss more as time permits. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Eaglesoft kills FSX completely. It won't even boot. It's worst if Cirrus is the default flight. If Cirrus is selected AFTER FSX boot-up, at least it works (sort of).

"So a quick fire up and take off from Orbx EGTR and UK, Opus FSX weather with Accufeel enabled both load fine"

"However nothing is wrong, avionics seem fine so far (nice detail BTW) and not getting it to crash"

We now have on good authority from other FSX SR22 users that your post is in error.

The SR22 and SR22 Turbo runs fine on Win8 when users have their Local OS settings as outlined in our forum.

We'll thank you to retract your erroneus statements as you make sure to use settings as outlined.

Another hint is to not use the Trike in midair as your default flight but rather select a default 172/182 on ground with engines running as your default flight.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

The Eaglesoft Cirrus is the only one of my planes that doesn't work in win8.

The Eaglesoft Cirrus is the only one of my planes that doesn't work in win8.

This from a Win8 user proving the Eaglesoft Cirrus SR22 does work properly in Win8 when user Local OS settings are correct.

"So a quick fire up and take off from Orbx EGTR and UK, Opus FSX weather with Accufeel enabled both load fine"

"However nothing is wrong, avionics seem fine so far (nice detail BTW) and not getting it to crash"

Have another look at your FSX and Win8 settings. There is no known reason that it shouldn't as long as proper Local OS settings are made. 

We know that CX 2.0, CJ1+ 2.0 and Cirrus SR22, Cirrus SR22 Turbo, work under Win8 when Local OS settings are properly made and we'll soon have the other products tested as well.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I have the following setup:

• Windows 8 64Bit Pro
  • FSX with acceleration installed on 2nd drive F:, not the default Program Files(x86)
  • Default flight is trike on the ground at Friday Harbour with engines running, I find this to be one of the most important things for loading 3rd party aircraft
  • Windows defender turned off for anything that FSX references, even dirs outside of FSX itself.
  • FSUIPC, registered version, all controllers mapped to this to work around the FSX + Windows 8 joystick disappearing bug

A ton of other add ons but these are ones I think might be relevant to the discussion

For Eaglesoft aircraft

• The Citation X I have loads of hours including VATSIM, no issues under Windows 8
  • CJ1+, a little time, no problems specific to Windows 8
  • Cirrus SR22, haven't experienced any problems so far
  • Cirrus SR22 Turbo, haven't experienced any problems so far

Because FSX can be brittle this is my workflow for every flight:

1. Start Track IR if not running
  2. Start Opus if not running
  3. Start FSX
  4. Start Aivlasoft (not necessary for VFR)
  5. Start WideFS on 2nd machine
  6. Start Aivlasoft on 2nd machine / Plan G for VFR
  7. Buffalo ACARS if doing a VA flight
  8. Start Squawkbox if on VATSIM on 2nd machine / Vox ATC / nothing
  9. Do flightplan and put into Opus etc
  10. Select start airport
  11. then time
  12. then aircraft
  13. Do payload / fuel
  14. Fly Now
  15. Do procedure until radios on then can connect SB to VATSIM

I also shutdown FSX at the end of every flight and restart for the next one.

Hope this helps anyone having issues.