Sign in to follow this  
markjj

777 Landing Gear Touchdown Sound

Hi guys, this is my second post about a 777 sound.  The 777 is by far my favorite plane when it comes to sounds, including the engines, hydraulics, and all that good stuff.  I'm sure many of you have been in a 777 landing, and I can't help but notice how unique the touchdown sound is.  I think this is mostly due to the fact that it has 3 rows of landing gear, because on every 777 landing, I always hear a "thunk thunk thunk," right on touchdown.  It is a little hard to explain, but I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about.  Here is one of the MANY examples (can be heard on nearly every landing), and it has such a unique and neat sound.  I think it may be one of those things that you just can't hear in the cockpit, but it would be interesting to know if this sound is heard during landing in the PMDG 777...Thanks :smile:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIZIgoOA29A

Mark Javornik

Nice Video.  Was that tyre squeal I heard after touchdown? Is it common to hear this in big jets? I never have before.

Nice Video.  Was that tyre squeal I heard after touchdown? Is it common to hear this in big jets? I never have before.

Thanks although its not mine, haha.  I'm 99% sure the sound you heard after touchdown was just the squeaking of the spoiler deployment.  Those spoilers and the hydraulic mechanisms that go along with it are massive, so it is quite common (I hear it all the time on a 777) to hear that squeaky/scraping type noise.

Mark Javornik

Yes, of course that was not a sound from the wheels. What you hear from inside is only a structural thump, not the squeal of the wheels, expecially from the cockpit. I hope PMDG made that sound realistic when landing, in the NGX it was almost not audible. It adds a lot to the sensation of the airplane structure relying on the ground. It would also be nice if the hits of the wheels on the centerline lights could be heard during the takeoff/landing run.

James Goggi

It sounds fantastic, both internally and externally. You are not always going to get the same sound effect either, depending on how you land the aircraft and conditions. You could spend all day flying circuits and see variation in the landing sound on every touchdown!

- Jane Whittaker

You are not always going to get the same sound effect either, depending on how you land the aircraft and conditions. You could spend all day flying circuits and see variation in the landing sound on every touchdown!

That sounds superb! 

Indeed .... i'm pretty sure you will never have a similar sounding landing and rollout no matter how much you fiy her!!!   :Whistle:

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Indeed .... i'm pretty sure you will never have a similar sounding landing and rollout no matter how much you fiy her!!!   :Whistle:

there you go guys, straight from the horses mouth! thanks Armen :) not calling you a horse or anything incidentally ;)

- Jane Whittaker

Heheh thanks JR :lol:   .... dont forget Michael Franzeskakis - he did all of the complex programming to randomise most sounds on the aircraft. 

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Thanks for the replies and that's great to hear!!

Mark Javornik

Challenge accepted!  B)

Alaister Kay

It would also be nice if the hits of the wheels on the centerline lights could be heard during the takeoff/landing run.

Most pilots take off and land just right or left of runway lights to avoid the lights.