Sign in to follow this  
Joachim

Question: Autosave and PMDG 777

Dear beta testers, I was wondering if any of you are using autosave from Pete Dowson?

By adding the following lines:

Simply add the below text to the [AutoSave] section of the FSUIPC4.ini

AlsoManage1=PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\PanelState\*.FLT.fmc
AlsoManage2=PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\PanelState\*.FLT.sav
AlsoManage3=PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\PanelState\*.FLT.0.rte

(from thread: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/69068-tip-autosave-and-the-pmdg-ngx/)

... the 737 would beautifully resume (state loaded, flight plan loaded as it was, etc...) where it was left off if FSX crashed or if one decided to return to an auto-saved flight. 

I was wondering if it still works in regards to the 777 of PMDG.

Thanks for all and any input,

Joe

Joachim (Joe)

Hey that is interesting.

I turned off auto save in FSUIPC because it would also save an unendless amount of state entries in the FMC!

I guess I have to read that thread, thx

Rob Robson

Not sure on Autosave - but I'm saving manually and all is good.

Do you mean via FSX menu or via the FMC on the plane?  

Hey that is interesting.

I turned off auto save in FSUIPC because it would also save an unendless amount of state entries in the FMC!

You are right it is frustrating. I just manually delete them every once and a while. I find that the FSUIPC autosave is more reliable. If you have an issue during flight quite often you can go back a couple saves and you can pick up right where you left off. I have had issue with the default save not saving all the panel info upon reload. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yeah I got tired of having to delete.

But I have not seen the lines posted by the OP before.

I am hoping that by using those lines (alsomanage....) is a different way of using FSUIPC auto save that does not cause all those entries.

But I dont know, I still have to read that thread.

Rob Robson

Yeah I got tired of having to delete.

Autosave would be nice in-flight. However I do like knowing where I've saved... I'll normally do it after setting the aircraft up, before pushback or before taxi, holding short of the runway, TOC, throughout cruise, before TOD. Then sometimes if I level out on the approach somewhere I'll save if I remember! 

Thats to much for me I am afraid,

Usually my (old core 2 duo) system would crash all the time and preferably right after I had programmed the whole arrival and just before a manual save :-(

Or just before landing where my last save was at TOD :-(

But I must say, I have not seen any crashes on my new system

Rob Robson

It was recommended somewhere by someone that FSUIPCs auto save should be turned off.  Since I've done that I haven't had one FSX crash.  

Thats to much for me I am afraid,

Usually my (old core 2 duo) system would crash all the time and preferably right after I had programmed the whole arrival and just before a manual save :-(

Or just before landing where my last save was at TOD :-(

But I must say, I have not seen any crashes on my new system

Sometimes my screen freezes for around two minutes after saving. Average is like 30 seconds! But on my LHR-LAX, one save took five minutes to resume FSX. Literally was having a heart attack LOL. 

Hey that is interesting.

I hope it works for you too, for me it works nicely with the 737. I have just added those lines and FSUIPC deletes older autosaves depending on the setting I have. 

It was recommended somewhere by someone that FSUIPCs auto save should be turned off.  Since I've done that I haven't had one FSX crash.  

I've come across two auto saves, one as part of the registered FSUIPC and another freeware. Which one have you been using? I have heard the freeware one uses .NET Framework heavily and seems to cause crashes (not that it's .NET Framework but something about the program) but I cannot confirm this. With the FSUIPC autosave I have not had any issues except with some aircraft like the Majestic Dash-8 because of the way it saves its own states. This is the only aircraft I turn it off for. I have been using it for a long time with the PMDG 737.

I've created a .BAT file that deletes all the auto-save entries which I run once in a while...I can share the text if interested.

That's nice, thanks for offering this - I appreciate it but by adding the lines above and having the option "keep only last 10 autosaves" it should work automatically.

That's cool... then autosave should work too because it does the same thing I believe, but if anyone could confirm this, that would be grrreeeeeat  :lol:

Joachim (Joe)

Sometimes my screen freezes for around two minutes after saving. Average is like 30 seconds! But on my LHR-LAX, one save took five minutes to resume FSX. Literally was having a heart attack LOL.

Brrrrr that is scary!!

Was that a manual save from the FSX menu or from a feature inside the 777 FMC?

If others have the same problem then I would say something is not right there!

Rob Robson

Could anyone with a registered FSUIPC and active autosave comment on this? 

Thanks for checking

Joachim (Joe)

Def something to play around with and investigate if you plan on using the feature.  However it will most likely land in Peter's hands if there is an issue with the FSUIPC autosave.  I don't know him, but I know his product and work ethic and he makes updates on the regular.