Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How to use vectors when using FMC on PMDG 737?

Okay I am trying to fly a route from PHNL to KLAX using SID/STAR for my departure and approach and using ATC to make this as real as possible. But when I use the ATC menu upon departure from PHNL, I don't receive any vectors once I take off. Instead it gives me 2 options:

1) nearest airport

2) tune to honolulu approach

How do am I suppose to get vectored for my SID?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Did you file your flight as IFR? Are you using the default ATC?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I am doing the flight planning entirely through the FMC on the PMDG 737, not using FSX's built in flight planner, and yes I am using the default ATC.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I don't think it's possible, even with 3rd party ATC programs, to get vectors as a part of SID/STAR. Well, you could make SID/STAR waypoints part of your FSX flightplan, except for the vectors segment, and then ask the ATC to guide you through the vectors part, but it's not very flexible. A human controller, like on VATSIM, is the only real option. 

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

If you don't have a flight plan in fsx and load it than there is no way it has a clue what you want to do.

You make a plan in something like FSBuild then export it to fsx

Load the flight plan

Start at your starting gate airport

Call ATC and they will give you IFR clearance.

I have no idea why you think fsx can read your NGX FMC and give you ATC from it?

have a real flight plan loaded into fsx then you do as you have done. Programme you FMS and you then have your flight plan the same as fsx will be working off.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

So if I'm using PMDG 737, I will have to create my flight plan using both FSX's built in flight planner and then enter the same plan into the 737's FMC as well in order to get vectors working?

If that's the case, I'll just not use SID/STAR in my flight plan then. That's just too many steps.

If you have a program like ProATC, the flightplan they give you will usually have vectors in the FMC.  It's used just in case you need to be vectored away from on-coming traffic and other things but I have not seen it used so much.  I just click on the LSK just below Vectors then click on the LSK for Vectors and then activate it and you're on your way to Honolulu!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So for those of you who fly using PMDG 737, I guess most of you aren't using SIDs or STARs in your flight planning then?

Do all SID/STAR have to include vectors? Sounds like more trouble than its worth, which is why I'm wondering how most of you guys do your flight planning. If so I won't use SID/STARs and just stick to the regular way of flight planning.

Keeping it real and using the FSX ATC are terms that don't really work anyways. Best off vectoring yourself to the flight planned route, or getting an ATC addon.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

What's the best ATC add-on? And will it will be able to give me vectors using PMDG's 737/747's FMC? As long as they work well together.

You should be using them all the time with the NGX.

Think of flight planing like this

A flight plan will get you from the end of a SID to the start of a STAR. That's in simple terms. If you not using SID and STAR then there is no point in using the FMC. No SID/ STAR no flight plan= not much point in useing the NGX.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Well I've been flight planning all this time w/o using SID/STAR's and it worked out fine. Not the most realistic but it works.

What's the best ATC add-on? And will it will be able to give me vectors using PMDG's 737/747's FMC? As long as they work well together.

Online like VATSIM or IVAO, an it's free

Why would you need vectors for SID/STAR. SID/STARs are designed to reduce ATC vectoring.