Sign in to follow this  

NickN seems to be totally mistaken... ;)

isn't NickN the one who should be doing some emailing? I haven't seen any unkind words toward NickN from the other end of things...

Why bother?

As it stands, there will be two uninstallers; one from ORBX and one from NickN.

Take your pick.

It would seem that it is also Human Nature,  to protect one's young creations, from outside attach  ...   (and be CATTY about it )

lioness-protects-cubs.jpg

So, NickN has read the news about the core files being backupped (yes, he is a frequent visitor of this forum!). He just changed his post by adding an Addendum, stating he will wait with his workaround until he knows what the uninstaller will actually do. In the meantime he also uses that addendum to make another remark towards Orbx (he refuses to actually USE that name...) and its contact with other developers, trying to convince us (or himself) he is not the only one who doesn't like how things are developing. He just doesn't learn from his mistakes...

Ok, it's time for a beer now... and some potato chips. (I don't like popcorn.)

Ok, it's time for a beer now... and some potato chips. (I don't like popcorn.)

I'll take the beer, the potato chips and the popcorn! :lol:

I'll take the beer, the potato chips and the popcorn! :lol:

Wish I had shares in Butterkist for the amount thats been consumed these last few weeks!

Get me  pint while you're out there Jeroen. Cheers mate!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Nick v John Smackdown, NBC, Sunday at 8pm!

:lol:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

(...)

Correct: the backup option you get when you install FTXG only makes a backup of the texture folder. But... I just found out that Orbx has had the habit of backing up all core files with every FTX install for years already.

Let's the take terrain.cfg NickN is going on about, which has been lost forever without a possibility to restore it. Well, go to your FSX folder and then to ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/InstallBackup and what do you see...? A backup of your terrain.cfg. Together will all kinds of other core files. Amongst others.

(...)

Jeroen,

great find! Thanks a bunch for that!

I don't own FTXG, but a heap of other ORBX addons and I could easily confirm that a file like lclookup.bgl, pivotal to the FTXG debate, gets backed up by FTX Central as soon as I switch from default to one of their regions.

So 'Ive just started ... re-considering FTXG again; my second change of views within days.

Currently I'm being a bit ... confused - but hopeful!!!

I happened to do a Google search for lclookup.bgl and found an older thread from 5 years ago, some place...

Let's see, all the discussion as of late is about changing the BGL file. But 5 years ago, it was OK to change the lclookup.bgl file, if it was the one preferred by some people... Then there was the comparison (subtle!) to ###### Germany, uhmm! And more swipes and jabs, until a person who *IS* respected came along and explained the goals behind a modified lclookup.bgl file. There was a deafening silence and no more cheap shots coming from the high and mighty.

If I may point out one more thing? I believe I've seen the term "hack job" used with regards to the lclookup.bgl file and how such a thing doesn't "conform" to the SDKs, mention being made in these forums and elsewhere. A lclookup.bgl file is going to be compiled using the BGLcomp compiler, which last time I checked, say about six years ago, is a part of the SDKs and any file that would result from being compiled by the BGLcomp compiler would be considered compliant. Of course someone would have to go in with a hew editor to read the original file's structure and to learn how to duplicate said structure. But to term that a "hack job" is mis-guided and self-serving. One proponent of a certain line of land classification addons never seemed to have a problem with the fact that those land class products came with a modified lclookup.bgl... And if the term "hack job" is to be considered for this scenario, then each and every "AFCAD" type file needs to be termed a "hack job", since the only way to learn how to write a decompiler to get the underlying default data was to first go in and inspect default files using a... hex editor.

Someone has "announced" his retirement from the payware world (not me, I'm just getting ramped up!) and that someone's departure can't come soon enough for me.

This is getting ridiculous, it is only a game!  Some of you are just going to far, bashing developers, regardless whether wrong or right.  If there is a problem with Nick why can't they send a private email to him and discuss between each other?  If you are happy with your product why don't you just go and enjoy it?  This just creates a bad atmosphere for everybody.  This FSX community is not the same as it used to be. 

Spoken like a true Mancunian..... :lol:...nice one.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I do wish NickN was man enough to apologize. Then again, I'm sure he'll move from this to some other baseless accusation in an effort to thwart the competition posed by this terrific addon.

Cheers to the OP for setting the record straight!

Thanks for the correct information, this story is in  no way ridiculous,  there is no need for popcorn , just be glad  J van E took the time to find this info out and inform us

I do wish NickN was man enough to apologize. Then again, I'm sure he'll move from this to some other baseless accusation in an effort to thwart the competition posed by this terrific addon.

Cheers to the OP for setting the record straight!

Don't  think he ever will

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg