Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjjallen

Windows 8 Controller Dropout Topic

39 posts in this topic

Thanks for your info Jos.

I forgot to add that we almost never have stick dropouts if we don't task switch.  This is counter to some users who experience persistent dropouts.  

All of our USB ports have the 'NoSleep' option set per other thread recommendations.

Regards

Jim Allen

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The most curious thing about the issue is not that FSUIPC4 seems to fix the problem (which it does), when everything else has failed, but rather that Pete Dowson has never commented (as best I can tell) as to why configuring the joystick with FSUIPC4 is a good workaround in Win 8. FSUIPC4 uses SimConnect to control the joystick, but the details are not that straightforward:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55041&postcount=2

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/73807-fsuipc-and-joystick-calibration/?p=452788

I've read in the w8 forum that even after configuring the axes via fsuipc, the dropout still exists for some people.

The only task switches I perform, are activating my weather engine en pro-atc after loading fsx. For some reason (?) this never causes fsx to loose my joystick. After that, I never switch tasks and I always have a successful flight. When I finally swop focus for testing after the flight, fsx looses the joystick immediately.

All my usb ports have the "no sleep" option too.

Jos

My  personal view of this is that the various "solutions" to the problem including FSUIPC4, just cut down on the probability of losing your joystick. After going back and looking at a lot of the older posts, I did notice one thing about the FSUIPC4 "trick". Some people just used it and some people used it and also in FSUIPC4.ini, set:

JoystickTimeout=<some large number like 60 or 120>

I have no idea whether this matters or not.

The FSUIPC solution works fine. Assign all controller axes and buttons with it instead of within FSX and you should not lose the controller(s), PROVIDING you do not access the FSUIPC interface during your flight. Since I stuck to those rules I have had no more W8 disconnects.

I forgot to add that we almost never have stick dropouts if we don't task switch.  This is counter to some users who experience persistent dropouts.  

How about when you open the ATC Window and switch focus to and from the main FSX/P3D Window?  I think that was mentioned somewhere is this megathread.

Well I can tell you all that this drop out still occurs with hair pulling regularity in Win 81. :mad:

The FSUIPC solution works fine. Assign all controller axes and buttons with it instead of within FSX and you should not lose the controller(s), PROVIDING you do not access the FSUIPC interface during your flight. Since I stuck to those rules I have had no more W8 disconnects.

Paying 10$ for the solution of a broken function should not be the answer. it's the same as buying a coffeemachine see a crack and buy a new one. No you force the person who sold a broken product to fix it for free and otherwise you throw the broken machine through the window in their face and buy a new one.

Paying 10$ for the solution of a broken function should not be the answer. it's the same as buying a coffeemachine see a crack and buy a new one. No you force the person who sold a broken product to fix it for free and otherwise you throw the broken machine through the window in their face and buy a new one.

+100

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0