Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

World's shortest scheduled flight challenge

The current world record for the shortest scheduled flight is from Papa Westray (EGEP) to Westray (EGEW) airport in Orkney Islands, Scotland. It's a great little route to do in the Islander and using Orbx's Scotland scenery.

My best time yet, including the taxi is 3.5 minutes. I'd be curious if anyone has managed to beat this :-).

I took off, stayed in the pattern, and landed the other day...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I flew on a daily "milk run" flight on Alaska airlines from Anchorage to Ketchikan that included a hop from Wrangell to Petersburg. I believe that leg was something like 14 minutes. All in an 737-200 combi! Not sure if they still operate it as this was back in 1993. regards

In all seriousness the Alaska Airlines Fjord runs (after flying up from Seattle) exemplify short routes. From Ketchikan (PAKT) to Wrangell (PAWG) these are short flights for a 737-300 and from Wrangell to Petersburg (PAPG) is shorter still. These flight then go on to Sitka (PASI) and/or Juneau (PAJN) with snakes to other small airports before completing the run up to Anchorage (PANC). With the proper Alaska scenery it's awesome unique airliner flying to say the least with mountains/fjord's all around. It's hard to believe they do this in the real world. Alaska all around is a very unique/fun place to fly no matter what aircraft you use.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

In all seriousness the Alaska Airlines flight from Ketchikan to Wrangell is a short flight for a 737-300 and from Wrangell to Petersburg Alaska is shorter still. With the proper Alaska scenery it's an awesome flight with the mountains/fjord's all around. It's hard to believe they do this in the real world. Alaska all around is a very unique/fun place to fly.

Fortunate enough to have spent 2 summers in Alaska while in college. The kind of flying done there makes almost any flying in the lower 48 seem mundane. A flight on one of Reeve Aleutian's Lockheed Electras was a thrill I still relive. Definitely, had more than a few "are we really going to land there???" moments LOL!

Here's a neat one:

It's more of an "on demand" flight, used daily.. and in the winter it's on more of a schedule...

83D - to - KMCD (Mackinac County- to - Mackinac Island)

Aprox. 5nm .. they're almost part of each other's pattern.. :)

The current world record for the shortest scheduled flight is from Papa Westray (EGEP) to Westray (EGEW) airport in Orkney Islands, Scotland. It's a great little route to do in the Islander and using Orbx's Scotland scenery.

My best time yet, including the taxi is 3.5 minutes. I'd be curious if anyone has managed to beat this :-).

I've done it in 3 to 4 minutes (parking brakes off to parking brakes on) with my VA as well. Unfortunately the resolution on the time tracking is only 1 minute.

I think IRL the record is something like 54 seconds, though that's pure flight time and you need a westerly wind.

Shortest scheduled flight I flew was from PHNY to PHJH. That was a lot of fun! Even made a few passengers cry because of the maneuvers we had to make on the departure and arrival.

This thread reminds me of a very interesting tale.

I don't think this was a scheduled flight, but in Ernest Gann's 'Fate is the Hunter', one of my favourite books, he had a three minute flight at La Guardia in a loaded C-54 when three of his four engines failed after takeoff due to experimental plugs. He took off, turned around and landed safely, in spite of a DC3 taking off on the same runway..... :wacko:

I should think that that would be a record for a four engined aircraft ? (loaded or otherwise ?)

I wonder if the record still stands ?

Regards

Bill