Sign in to follow this  
Greg Hollen

Best tailwheel aircraft for FSX/P3D?

Hello,

I have about 20 hours in real world tailwheel aircraft and I'm wondering if you guys here have any opinions as to which available add-ons for FSX or P3D that most accurately simulate the characteristics and physics of a real tailwheel type plane?   

The default Piper Cub in both FSX/P3D has all the physics of a tailwheel aircraft (it will readily ground loop and requires careful rudder use), but everything in this regard is greatly over-exaggerated and it does not behave realistically to be honest.     I also own the very good A2A Piper Cub with Accusim, and although it flies quite realistically in the air, it is far too stable on the ground compared to the real aircraft.     I don't think the A2A Cub will actually even ground loop no matter how bad your technique is; it's almost as if it's a tricycle gear that simply tilts back.       The biggest and most enjoyable challenge of flying the real Cub is taming it properly on the ground.  

So, are there any add-ons available that can actually properly simulate tailwheel aircraft ground physics within the limitations of the FSX/P3D platforms?     So far, I've been looking at the following:

Realair Champ/Decathalon

Sibwings Bird Dog

A2A Mustang or A2A P-40 with Accusim

Carenado Cessna 180

Sibwings AN-2

Do you guys have any impressions of these aircraft in terms of proper tailwheel ground physics or do you know of other add-ons that I haven't mentioned that possess exceptional tailwheel physics modeling?

Thank you for any insight and advice!

I fly the RealAir Decathlon/Scout a lot and love it - not sure it accurately simulates tailwheel

behavior since I never have trouble with it, but it sure flies nice in the air!

Bert

Either the A2A Spitfire or P51D would probably give you what you are looking for.

Surprised about your comments on the A2A Cub though - I had always understood that it was an accurate reproduction both on the ground & in the air.

Either the A2A Spitfire or P51D would probably give you what you are looking for.

Surprised about your comments on the A2A Cub though - I had always understood that it was an accurate reproduction both on the ground & in the air.

The A2A Cub is WONDERFUL in the air - second to none.      It does not behave like a real Cub on the ground though.    

I can't comment on the accuracy of the plane behavior, but I love the A2A Civilian Mustang and the SibWings AN-2. They're excellent planes IMO.

Tailwheel vs tri cycle does not make too much difference once in the air

Tailwheel realism needs to be tested on the ground... Taxiing, Takeoff and landing. This is where tailwheel aircrafts does its unique things.

Greg, I find the Real Air decathlon reasonably close to the real decathlon.  The only issue I have with real air tail wheel is, it feels tad too light... Maybe its just in my head.  In the real decathlon the stick  is huge to move it around here I am using a yoke which takes away the feel of moving that huge stick in the real decathlon as well a feel of a very very light aircraft. Although the decathlon is light compared to many GA aircrafts, in my head, its not that light as the sim.

The tendency for the tail to come over to the side is fairly well done.

For FSX the realair decathlon is fairly good in my book

The real air spitfire although is good and feels heavy and whatnot,.. I can only assume its very good since I have never flown a real spitfire...

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The A2A Cub is WONDERFUL in the air - second to none.      It does not behave like a real Cub on the ground though.

I've never been lucky enough to fly in one, so happy to accept your opinion!!   ^_^ 

Try the Alabeo Staggerwing it taxi's about like the real thing.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I agree with you that the FSX default Cub has exaggerated ground-handling problems.  On takeoff, the amount of leftward torque would make you think that it has 1,000 hp, not 65 hp.  And the tendency to groundloop on landing, with no crosswind, is ridiculous.  The default Maule is a lot better.  If the real Cub were actually that difficult to land, there wouldn't be any Cubs left.

A problem with FSX is that there is too much initial rolling friction, requiring excessive throttle to get a plane moving (Pete Dowson has a fix for this).  Then there is too little sideways tire friction when the plane is rolling down the runway.  Instead of groundlooping, the plane slides sideways.  It's like taking off and landing on an icy runway. 

My vote would go for the Sibwings Bird Dog.  It seems to have fairly accurate ground handling. 

I'm hoping that at some point a developer will give ground handling the attention that it deserves and offer a taildragger with totally accurate ground handling.

The AccuSim Cub is the only one that allows you to lift the tail and keep it up. You can actually stand the plane on its main gear by opening the throttle and applying brakes + forward stick. Some other planes can "kind of" do it, but not with the same convincing feel and accuracy as the A2A Cub.

You also actually need to open the throttle in order for the rudder to become effective at lower speeds. There's just no other FSX taildragger (other than maybe other AccuSim planes) that does this.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I fly the A2A P-51D civilian version and would really recommend it. Its tailwheel has both a free castoring and stearable mode, so you can get any kind of taxiing behaviour you like. If you perform a crosswind landing and don't touch down perfectly aligned the a/c has a strong tendency to pull to the side which will end you up in a groundloop pretty easily if you don't respond properly.

I fly the RealAir Decathlon/Scout a lot and love it - not sure it accurately simulates tailwheel

behavior since I never have trouble with it, but it sure flies nice in the air!

Another vote for the Real Air Citabria/Decathlon/Scout! I the real world, I learned to fly many years ago in a Citabria and I have to say the Real Air model simulates it very accurately. The only difference is that the Citabria I flew had heel brakes (which I hated!) and my CH-Pro pedals have toe brakes which IMHO makes this aircraft a lot easier to fly - a real gem and I fly it very often. The Real Air product also comes with tundra tyre and float equiped models which is a bonus if you enjoy a bit of back country flying. If you want to make it even more realistic move the reality sliders further to the right and watch that swing on take off! The other great taildragger which I also fly a lot (always a good sign)  is the Aerosoft Beaver. You will not regret getting either of these.

Bill

Flight Replicas Super Cub Ultra will also tail lift with brakes on.