Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

How many FMS?

Hi,

I wondered - how many FMS are modelled in the 777? I see 3 in the screenshots, but I haven't seen any discussion about its operation or use. Is it modelled in the sim? What is it used for IRL?

Best regards,

Robin.

I wondered - how many FMS are modelled in the 777? I see 3 in the screenshots, but I haven't seen any discussion about its operation or use. Is it modelled in the sim? What is it used for IRL?

Three

One for each crew member (2)

One for extra information/communication - as an example, you could use this for ACARS and so on.

In the 777X, it is limited to taking over the DSP if you prefer to route it through there (instead of the control panel by the FO), or cabin comms.

Real world?  That's a question for someone else.

Kyle Rodgers

You should know we are talking about CDUs... just to avoid confusion...

You should know we are talking about CDUs... just to avoid confusion...

haha - yeah, really.  It's used to interchangeably here that I just associate the terms as one.  I guess that's normally something I get all crazy and semantic about...I'm slacking...

Kyle Rodgers

Haha, I was just about to ask you Kyle if all the T7 beta flyin' had made you soft :)

On, the note of FMS, in the T7, do they use the term FMS anymore? I read somewhere about Aircraft Information Management System, AIMS. But there stil would be two or three FMCs I would guess?

23.png

Haha, I was just about to ask you Kyle if all the T7 beta flyin' had made you soft :)

If nothing else, severely distracted.  I woke up to about 10 emails from the team (this, between 1AM and 6AM EDT).  It's pretty constant the rest of the day.  Between keeping on top of emails, flying, keeping notes on the flights, making sure I'm not ignoring ATC (which I've done twice because my flight check list was over SquawkBox each time), and my two jobs, I'm pretty well maxed.

Kyle Rodgers

Good work Kyle, sounds very interesting, and reassuring to know that you and so many other knowledgable guys are involved in the wide beta.

It sure would be fantastic to see the insides of such a process like you do now. But no joke to agree to such a job, I would have thought it very well through if I'd gotten the call.

Enjoy, and thanks for taking the time to share with us, feels like I'm a bit part of it too, indeed a wise move from the big guy :)

23.png

In the 777X, it is limited to taking over the DSP if you prefer to route it through there (instead of the control panel by the FO), or cabin comms.

What does "DSP" mean, please?  Does this mean that the third FMC isn't fully functional?

Thanks, Kyle, for all your hard work!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

In the 777X

This may be silly but this is the first time that I have heard the 777 refereed to as the 777X. Is that the marketing term for the product or just a mixing of the NGX and 777 in the post? A hop over to the PMDG 777 product holder refers to the product just as the 777. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

due to the lack of info i have, can anybody confirm if in real world the 2 CDU can work independently as if i can enter one route in the first, and another one in the second? 

or what type of independency they have? 

and can you please confirm if there is the secondary flight plan function in it? 

thank you 

Moe ELkarout

What does "DSP" mean, please?  Does this mean that the third FMC isn't fully functional?

I don't know the exact acronym, so I won't say what I think it is, but it controls the system displays (gear/flight controls/doors/hydr/elec/etc).

I'm not quite sure what the third CDU is used for anyway, so I can't say whether or not it's fully functional.  It's definitely not wasted space.  You can run all of the extra FS Actions and so on from there, and there are some additional features.  Like I said, though, I'm not sure what "fully functional" would mean in the real deal, so I can't say to what degree of function you have with it.

Is that the marketing term for the product or just a mixing of the NGX and 777 in the post?

Ryan beat me to it somewhat, but it's my own way to differentiate between the simulated version and the real version.  I actually honestly picked it up because I saw numbers on the tail, and an 'X' behind them.  From there, I just added the X to the 777.  Looks like I'll be changing that.

You can see the numbers (clearly 200 and not 777) on the tail here:

2013-8-5_21-4-58-269.jpg#nofilter #PMDG #777 #FlightBeam #IAD #OMG #hashtagsarepointlessherebutIwantedtouse#nofilterinaninappropriatespot #nofilteriscalledphotography #[/rant]

Looks like I need to do a better walk around next time!

Kyle Rodgers

It is officially "PMDG 777-200LR/F", 777X is the actual name of Boeing's next-gen 777, we can't use that.

Good to know. Thanks Ryan. Now that you say that I remember reading about the next gen 777 so that make sense. 

Mike Keigley

due to the lack of info i have, can anybody confirm if in real world the 2 CDU can work independently as if i can enter one route in the first, and another one in the second? 

Pretty sure I covered this somewhere, but:

There are three.  One for each pilot (that operate independently).  The information, however, is shared.  If the Capt changes the route, the FO will see the same change on his.

or what type of independency they have? 

They can be on different pages and work on different data at the same time (technically you could both be working on making changes to the same thing at the same time, but that would be a mess).  In order to reduce duplication of effort, the information is common for the two systems.

and can you please confirm if there is the secondary flight plan function in it?

There is a functioning secondary flight plan feature, yes.

Kyle Rodgers