Sign in to follow this  
TU0833

AI Landing lights too bright

does anyone know a fix to adjust landing lights for AI. Looking from a distance they look like a large baloon of light moving. 

There's this fix in the library: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=149396

However, changing halo.bmp affects other lights too, such as runway lighting, to the point where it's hard to see the runway at night. I tried this particular tweak but then backed it out. You might find alternative halo.bmp tweaks if you do a web search.

I've watched real planes landing and they do sometimes look like fireballs. Those landing lights must be quite powerful.

Barry Friedman

I also have this problem, I am running UT2 and the lights are huge blobs, this is especially true for the ga planes and the commercial planes are not as bad but when you're viewing them close you can definitely tell.

Sucks how it's all dependent on a single bmp file, makes it difficult to just modify one light without messing up something else. Are you in using shockwave 3d lights for your ai traffic by any chance. If so this is likely the cause since that's what I'm using.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Changing the halo.bmp does indeed change the size of the runway lights. But you can adjust them by adding the following lines to the [DISPLAY] section of  FSG.CFG:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR = 1.0 

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR = 1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR = 1.0 

RINWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR =1.0

These are the default values. Adjust to taste. 

I experimented with several halo.bmp files (including the fix above) before settling on one I modified myself. Happy to send you my collection to try if you PM me with your email address.