Sign in to follow this  
747-fan

Shortest scheduled 777 flights?

I say, fly Japan! RJAA-RJBB takes about an hour even when you comply with all speed restrictions and fly SID and STAR...

Dubai-Doha with Emirates and Qatar. Only 1 hour.

I don't see that leg on the August QR time table for the 777, they only fly A320's on that hop.

• Upvote 1

I don't see that leg on the August QR time table for the 777, they only fly A320's on that hop.

QR use whatever they need for the mission, the 787 also does Doha - Dubai, Even gulf air wet leased a 777 for inter gulf and Asia routes at one point, they had to use external crew to operate the flights.

Rob Prest

When Hajj is on in Mecca, large increases in passenger numbers usually occur within the network in the Middle East and large aircraft are used on fairly short hops. Keep an eye out around October and you will see what I mean.

When Hajj is on in Mecca, large increases in passenger numbers usually occur within the network in the Middle East and large aircraft are used on fairly short hops. Keep an eye out around October and you will see what I mean.

Same thing with Eid holdiay, ended up staying in Doha airport last night because all London flights are overbooked (enjoyed watching all the 777 freighters For hours!)

In the end I managed to to get a QR flight to Manchester and then bus it down to London.

Rob Prest

QR use whatever they need for the mission, the 787 also does Doha - Dubai, Even gulf air wet leased a 777 for inter gulf and Asia routes at one point, they had to use external crew to operate the flights.

Yep. QTR pretty much uses whatever they have available at the time. I remember I was once booked on a 77L but was put on a 320.

Yep. QTR pretty much uses whatever they have available at the time. I remember I was once booked on a 77L but was put on a 320.

Yeah, although I must admit the logic at QR sometimes baffles me, I flew on a A330, OBBI - OTBD a few days ago and it was empty. As soon as the doors close we all get up and pick our own seats :)

Rob Prest

Yeah, although I must admit the logic at QR sometimes baffles me, I flew on a A330, OBBI - OTBD a few days ago and it was empty. As soon as the doors close we all get up and pick our own seats :)

Free lie-down seats. Love laying across 3 Y seats (especially with a middle-east carrier which offers good service :lol: ).

• Upvote 1

Yep, and they even have non-wingletted 747's for their domestic ops. Research found that having the additional weight of the two winglets actually outweighed any benefit or saving in cost per flight due to the short nature of the flights.

In only untill October 2013, then the 744D's will be retired. Ending the long history of the 747 in Japan :(

Anyway, best short 777 ops? I have to agree Japan. The RJTT-RJOO flight takes 45 min to a hour. ANA and JAL both operate 772's and even 773's sometimes on that route. Other routes that are longer but under 1 hour and a half are RJTT-RJFF and RJTT-RJCC, these three routes are some of the most busy routes in the world.

UA used to fly seasonally PHOG-PHKO.  About a 20 minute flight connecting to KORD because of runway length/weight restrictions out of PHOG.

Some other short 777 flight ideas (past and present):

Several domestic Japan routes

KORD-KDFW

KMIA-KDFW

KORD-KIAD

KDEN-KLAX

KDEN-KSFO

KDEN-KORD

KDEN-KIAD

KDEN-KSEA

KSFO-KLAS (yep, this rarity happened for a limited time)

KIAH-KEWR

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM