Sign in to follow this  
Pilotsim7828

lost inactive member

I've got two and have sent a message to both to see if they are active and if Steve will reply. If he does I will check and see if I can pass along your request.  I used to be in contact with him on Facebook, but appears he deactivated his account.

Cheers,

Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Thank you, kenwood !

I do appreciate your help

I did not know that there was a new version of Fly! 2 out . from Flysimvol

Question?

Is it hard to install, Update, or add many other things to it ????

Gald to talk with the members again

Pilotsim7828  .

To date no word back from Steve. My email did not bounce back, but no response.

For Fly! Legacy, The install is straight forward. I have not encountered any problems with the install. Still many issues remain with flight dynamics and weather, et. al. I still encounter a few glitches with my joystick controls, but overall the sim is coming along nicely. 

The sim is compatible with the older Fly! II sceneries and airports, but not the aircraft. So for the time being you are limited to Legacy's Cessna. The ROTW team is continuing to improve the sim itself, and the high res cockpit is really good. Legacy runs on my new computer whereas Fly! II does not do well (doesn't seem to like my GTX650). Although I would not say it is up to par yet with Fly! II, Legacy *is* worth checking out and playing around with. You may be able to help find further bugs and advance the development!

Cheers,

Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Thank you for your help in a big way !

I guess it is time to move onward, as some has to do.

Sorry that I have lost friends that used to be here , but your always around . And I thank you for that ^_^

Thank you for your help in a big way !

I guess it is time to move onward, as some has to do.

Yeah, know how that goes. I remember trying to get the livery of my Citation X onto I believe it was a BBJ, and it was a livery that somebody had painted for me on the Citation X. Not knowing what font was used, I ended up trying to e-mail the guy, but didn't get a response. Well, I found out probably two or so years later that the guy had passed away a year before I'd sent out that e-mail. Not good.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

True, so many of the "old crew" have moved on to other things / sims. Leen de Jaeger (sp?) is still around in other forums for repaints - see posts from him from time to time. Roger Mazengarb is about from time to time, as is David Sandburg (infoMetar developer). I monitor Fly! II Forum for the odd question or offer suggestions for missing files (courtesy of the AVSIM hack). That more than anything IMHO has pretty much killed off Fly! II's usefulness - lack of support files. Fortunately I have quite a few files saved over the years from the original Fly! / 2K and Fly! II so I am set (grin) - but as I cannot find majority of the original authors, am unable to upload any for restoration to the Library.

Still nothing from Steve, so am guessing he's moved on as well. 

Cheers,

Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Kenwood , You are a true diehard fan of this world of Flight Simulation.

I do appreciate everything you do for the world of Fly! sorry that has to be the case of people moving on

Have you ever thought of getting the Flydevlopers website going again or would that be too much for this area

Thank you for your reply

Pilotsim7828

Well, with the financial difficulties most of us are in currently, it would be difficult to bring Fly! Developers back and keep it going. With no availability of the original Fly! II software it becomes even more a mute point. Cannot bring new Fly!er's into the fold.  Fly! Legacy works from an updated set of coding, so one would need to pour through what the ROTW gents have been doing and see what files Fly! Developers has that remain relevant to the current incarnation. 

If the entire knowledgebase were intact and had more than we currently do available here, it might still be plausible. For someone like myself - a non-programmer / coder - well... :wink:  Now if it has good information for the setting up / tweaking the render.ini and such, it might be something to still consider down the road - or take and place such info into new FAQs and post them here. Such as getting Fly! II to work correctly with the newest computer stuff (such as the nVidia GTX 650) - that would be beneficial.

I do think it is something to consider, but just may not economically feasible for the time being.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Hi Ken, good to see you are still around and a hello to all you other FLYers. I drop into the forums at times to see what is going on. It would be good to get in touch with Steve Brown. We worked on a lot of projects together and I found him to be willing to work on anything some one asked of him.

I do have some programs such as TM22, POD creator and Taxiway creator. Perhaps more on a hard drive that I removed from my system. If I can help let me know I will look for it.

Ken, did you say that FlyII works with Windows 7? I have not tried to load the program, but I could give it a try.

Thanks to all you FLYers and may all your wishes come true!

Wayne Roberts

Hi Wayne!

Long time, my friend!  

Yes, I have Fly!II working in Windows 7 (64-bit). I am not even using Compatibility mode. The only bad thing with these newer video cards/monitors (am now using a 21 in monitor) is working out the render.ini to work decently. That plus these newer monitors - though they can support the 1024x768 format - stretches the display so the planes look elongated. This of course is due to the fact Fly!II was developed only to the 1024x768 display size. Panel wise I have had some success at using my Photoshop and re-sizing the panels on Seawind to work better witht he 1920x1080 format but results are still somewhat skewed display. With the nVidia GTX 650 card I have I easily see FPS in the 100+ range.  As an FYI - Fly!II also runs under Windows 8 and 8.1. As always, some issues may develop depending upon the computer rig being used, And Win8/8.1 has Compatibility Mode available, though I did not find a need to use it. 

Fly!2K will work also under Win7 but you most certainly have to really work at tweaking the VCF file (loading it is more difficult as the installer is not fully recognized but there is a work-around). So far I have not had much luck at getting it to work under Win8/8.1. Could be that it is due to fact that I am running it directly from my Fly!II dedicated HDD (i.e. not installing it - just running the exe file) - same with Fly!II but I have no problem there. So something to consider is if you have Fly!II already installed on a HDD and set the way you wish, you *Should* be able to run it without any re-installs.  This was something I always remembered Rich as saying - Fly!II was NOT dependent upon a Windows Registry entry. So I use an external HDD (350GB for my Fly!II and Fly!2K setups. Saves a lot of hassles, let me tell you!! LOL

I have most utility programs for Fly!II and Fly!2K either on my ext HDD or backup CDs so if there is something anyone needs just let me know via PM and I will see if I have it available. 

Cheers and a good Holiday to All!

Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️