Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Japan HD mesh and OSM

If you like mountain flying then this may be for you. 5/6 of Japan is mountainous (which may not be surprising considering how many earthquakes we get). Unfortunately Fuji still looks like crap and although the OSM data is suprisingly good (well, not simply non-existent like I thought it would be for Japan), the rolling green plains of Tokyo may confuse some...

The smaller files may download as a simple .dsf, not a folder in which case you need to make the folder with the coordinates as the title. As usual all put inside a folder titled something like 'Japan HD Mesh' in the custom scenery folder of XP.

http://moriarty.watson.jp/dsf.html

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

What data was used for this? I can't read anything on the page (neither does Chrome want to translate anything on it).

Another problem is a lot of browsers default is unicode which turns the text to garbage. Important text on the page is:

・この地図の作成に当たっては、国土地理院長の承認を得て、同院発行の基盤地図情報を使用した。(承認番号 平25情使、 第11号)」
・この地図をさらに複製又は使用する場合には、国土地理院の長の承認を得なければならない

- This map was made with permission from the head of the Geographical Survey Institute, and uses data from the same source. (Authorization 2013, number 13)

- This map may not be reproduced without permission of the head of the Geographical Survey Institute.

Not connected to the mesh, butTBH the OSM data doesn't seem too well put together. Lots of forests missing, some parts of Tokyo well covered but mostly greenery which I can guarantee is not how Tokyo looks, but then I guess the whole OSM thing hasn't caught on too well in Japan yet.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

To the contrary. OSM is extremely detailed in Japan as they obviously imported very detailed government data (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#Japan). I think the bigger problem is, that - as far as I understand from the site - you can't do real XP10 style mesh with MeshTool until now ... it can "only" produce XP9 style mesh (but I see - after tweaking my Chrome code table and translating - that they state it too: V9 data)  .

And about the data source ... hmmm ... that doesn't tells much. It would be more interesting to know, what kind of data they used? Just some more detailed elevation data? Different landclass data (doesn't seems to be the case when I read your post)? Some different vector data source (other than OSM)?

Hello scotchegg,alpilotx.

I am author of Japan-HD.

Because I am not good at English, please forgive my strange English...

scotchegg,Thank you for introduce my scenery.

alpilotx...New Zealand pro???It is a great hounour to meet you.

I will answer the question.

OSM is good.Forests missing is that I do not know well how to use the XP2OSM.

Object contains forest with a certain size is not converted.Why?

Elevationdata is here.It provides DEM(5m,10m,250m mesh) and vector data.I converted provided DEM file to Bil file by my original program.

Then,I converted Bil file to dsf file by meshtool2.1. Xes-file was default.

So,my scenery is X-plane9.X style(It can be used in X-plane10 too). 

Thank you.

Hi Honyohonyo.

Firstly thanks for your efforts with the Japan mesh; nice to see someone working on this beautiful country for us!

I don't understand much of the technical aspects of this topic, but I'm sure AlpilotX and PilotBalu who is responsible for the Simheaven scenery (simheaven.com) can help you with fine-tuning the OSM. You can see a lot of discussion also in this thread which may provide some answers:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/410902-we-have-lift-off-simheaven-osmautogen-is-orbx-global/

I'm sure they can offer advice by PM as well; I think your English is good enough to communicate what you need to but I'd be happy to help translate if necessary. 地理とソフトについての専門用語はちょっとあれだけど、日本のいいsceneryを現実にさせるには努力します!