Sign in to follow this  
alcanallen

Contrails and Wing Vortices

Hi all two things,firstly are there any Contrails and Wing Vortices to download to replace the default?

Secondly has anyone noticed the TDS B787 RR i have the BA paint installed,this aircraft at altitude has a queer puffy ball like contrail way below the aircraft,i haven`t checked the GE version yet.

Cheers,J.

are there any Contrails

The free program FlusiFix (Google it) incorporates contrail modifications which better the default noticeably IMO. It also allows many other modifications to FS9 which you may appreciate too.

Im also looking for the best wingtip vortices addon available on the market. Any suggestions?

Sorry to be a brat, but... no one of you having a wingtip vortices addon in his FS9?

Here try this.   A simple xml gauge you place in your panel.cfg file.  Wing vortices will come on around 150kts and turn off at 170kts.  You can edit the xml guage to change the speeds if you wish. 

RJ

Small error in my instrucitons I included late last night. 

Change step 1 to read:

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.X=90.0,-28.3,-55.0, fx_Vortices
smoke.X=90.0,-28.3,55.0, fx_Vortices
Note:  You'll have to make adjustments for the aircraft you'll fly to place the vortices to your liking.
Note:  Change the "X" smoke.X to the next higher number in your smokes ystem section.

The vortices will not work if you don't remove the .fx from the lines above

Original instructions below are incorrect.  Fix by removing the .fx.

1. Add these two lines to your Aircraft.cfg file:

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.X=90.0,-28.3,-55.0, fx_Vortices.fx <----remove the .fx
smoke.X=90.0,-28.3,55.0, fx_Vortices.fx  <----remove the.fx

Here's a updated file correcting this mistake.

RJ

Good news the Wing Vortices on the B738W work :rolleyes: ,however they seem a little below the wing tip see pic, will changing the following do it?   gauge82=Vortices!WingVortices, 0, 0, 1  :excl: 

Edited by firehawk44
Image removed. Exceeded 1600W. See Image Posting Rules under Forums Menu above.

I am on holiday right now but I can tell you that wing tip vorticies effect should be written for each aircraft because to alter the height of the effect you need the edit the effect itself.

Also forget the fsx type wing tip effect ... Use Ed's gauge and get a flaps down vortices effect (far more realistic). So at say a flaps down between 150 to 170 knots the vorticies appear .... Edit the aircraft cfg AND effect file so the vorticies appear from the edge of the flaps (as in my 737NG videos)

Thanx for your replies mates, I will give it a try as soon as I get back from vacation,

I am on holiday right now but I can tell you that wing tip vorticies effect should be written for each aircraft because to alter the height of the effect you need the edit the effect itself.

Also forget the fsx type wing tip effect ... Use Ed's gauge and get a flaps down vortices effect (far more realistic). So at say a flaps down between 150 to 170 knots the vorticies appear .... Edit the aircraft cfg AND effect file so the vorticies appear from the edge of the flaps (as in my 737NG videos)

Link to Ed's gauge? Please :)

Alcanallen, you'll have to tweak the [smokesystem] in your aircraft.cfg file for each aircraft you add them to.  For example, using them on the default B737-400 you could use numbers that look like this:

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0=90.0,-21.3,-46.0, fx_Vortices
smoke.1=90.0,-21.3,46.0, fx_Vortices

See the -21.3 above.  This number moves the effect forward or backwards.

The -46.0 and the +46.0 move the effect outwards or inwards.  Just play with the number to get the best look.

RJ

Link to Ed's gauge? Please :)

Doh! Ihave no idea why I said Ed's ..... I meant RJ's. He has provided the link in an earlier post.

Sorry alcanallen, I read your post wrong.  You want to adjust the effect up, not forward/ backward or outwards.  

The model you're using, does it have flexing wings?  Either way, if you want to move the effect up, you'll have to edit the "fx_Vortices.fx" file with notepad.  Once you've opened that file, under [Emitter.0] you'll find a line called Y Offset=0.00, 0.00.  Start with Y Offset=1.00, 1.00 and see what happens.  I didn't get a change to see your photo, it was removed, so starting with 1.00 might make a huge move up.  If so, try 0.50 etc.

And as Ed suggests, if you're going to add these to multiple aircraft, you might want to rename the effect file name for each aircraft type and then tweak the Y Offset=0.00, 0.00 line for each type.  Don't foreget to change the name in the aircraft.cfg file if you do rename the "fx_Vortices.fx" file.

RJ

So at say a flaps down between 150 to 170 knots the vorticies appear .... Edit the aircraft cfg AND effect file so the vorticies appear from the edge of the flaps (as in my 737NG videos)

How can I ensure that the effect only occurs with flaps down?

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg