Sign in to follow this  
alcanallen

Contrails and Wing Vortices

What do you think about one landing light being type "5" and the other one being type "7"? Shouldn't they better both be type "5"?

As both lines are in exactly the same position you would double the strength of your landing light if you changed it from "7" to "5"

Personally I would get rid of the line with the "7" altogether.

In the meantime I watched some 727 night videos. Some of them seem to have no strobes at all (or not to use them), at others I believe to recognize that the leading edge strobes left and right are synchronized with each other, but not with the trailing edge strobes, which themselves are synchronized with each other (left and right) though. Strange.

Greetings from Dresden!

Harald

I would go by what you see IRL (in the videos)

Having said that I do sometimes have a logo light where I shouldn't .....I do like a lit tail at night.  :biggrin:

As both lines are in exactly the same position you would double the strength of your landing light if you changed it from "7" to "5"

Not exactly:

light.15 = 7, -58.40, -5.80, -2.30, fx_landing, (negative value)

light.16 = 5, -58.40, 5.80, -2.30, fx_landing, (positive value)

what means left and right. But why various types? I will see what happens if I set both to type "5".

Having said that I do sometimes have a logo light where I shouldn't .....I do like a lit tail at night.

... while I edited the texture lightmap to have no lit tail - I'd see some portions of muddy white else:

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Not exactly:

light.15 = 7, -58.40, -5.80, -2.30, fx_landing, (negative value)

light.16 = 5, -58.40, 5.80, -2.30, fx_landing, (positive value)

what means left and right. But why various types? I will see what happens if I set both to type "5".

Oops my bad you are correct....both should be "5"

... while I edited the texture lightmap to have no lit tail - I'd see some portions of muddy white else:

You will not see a texture light map in the day time. (you can see a logo light effect in the day time)

Let's see a night time shot.

Edit* Note to self ....you are a big threeholer fan and you have never flown the DF 727! :wacko:

You will not see a texture light map in the day time. (you can see a logo light effect in the day time)

Just wanted to show what was lit in the night before I edited the lightmap: The same muddy white tail. But now it looks:

and that is exactly what I wanted.

EDIT: Since I use FS2004, I only bought two payware aircrafts, the DF 727 being one of them - and I don't regret it. One can get it as boxed version from Aerosoft for the discount price of 12.50 EUR, but only in Germany (and with all documents in German), while it costs still around 40 EUR at Simmarket for worldwide shipping.

It's the ideal plane for those who love 2D-panels but no FMC, like I do... Ed, if I watch your videos, you may have a similar taste...

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Full success!

The white nav lights and the strobes (not flashing at this very moment, sorry) are also modified according to Ed's advice.

Two questions left:

1. How can I make a strobelight flashing less frequently? - this seems to be particularly the case with the now visible tailfin strobelight at some 727s, after I watched some more videos with nighty 727s.

2. The DF 727 is payware. How are the regulations to share my modifications - if there is interest at all?

Thanks to Alcan, RJ and expecially Ed for bringing us to new horizons of FS2004!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

May I ask another question - it is a little bit off-topic but it has arosen when I prepared the DF 727 to have flap vortices:

The modified strobe lights (left and right strobe merged into one .fx file) work well, but if seen directly from the side they seem to hide inside the wing. If seen from above, they are well outside the wing. What can be the cause of this phenomenon and how can I change it?

To "double" the strobe, I just doubled the [Emitter], [Particle] and [ParticleAttributes] sections of the .fx file and gave the first half of the entries a negative value for "X Offset" and the second half a positive one.

Furthermore, I'd like to change the flashing frequency of the strobes, according to real world videos of B727.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hello Harald,

This thread is called Contrails and wingtip vortices and has now got very technical.

I will say no more about lighting here.

I would download the FS2004 Effects SDK and give it a good read. 

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10

Technical questions should be posted in the aircraft and panel design forum. (you will also find many answers there)

I will add one (2 actually) tips about vortices) ....these lines in the effect file.

TempK=0.00
TempRate=-70.01

TempK's default figure is 107 ...a higher figure and the vortex flow in a more upward direction...lower in a downward direction.

If you wish to experiment set one vortex to 107 leaving the other at 0 and you will see exactly what I mean.

TempRate default figure is 0 ...a higher figure and the end of the vortex will start to go up...lower the end will go down. but also (more importantly IMO the vortex will start to jump/move about as in RL)

Hi Ed,

I will have a look there. You are right, the thread moved into the technical sphere and to effects design in general, so let's stop here. I really appreciate the help you gave me (and surely others) though.

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

On 31/08/2013 at 2:57 AM, edetroit said:

<Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>
         (P:UNITs OF MEASURE,enum) 2 ==
           if{ (A:SEA LEVEL PRESSURE,millibar) 1020 < }
           els{ (A:SEA LEVEL PRESSURE,inHg) 30.12 < }
         (A:AMBIENT TEMPERATURE,celsius) 0 > &&
         (A:FLAPS HANDLE INDEX,number) 5 > &&

if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) !
             (A:SIM ON GROUND,bool) !
             (A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knot) 175 < && == if{ 0 (>K:SMOKE_TOGGLE) }
             1 (>G:Var1) 0 (>G:Var2) }

els{ 0 (>G:Var1) }

</Value>
    </Select>
  </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>
        (G:Var1) !
        (G:Var2) ! &&
        if{ 1 (>G:Var2) (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) if{ 0 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }
      </Value>
    </Select>
  </Element>
</Gauge>

This code will take you from flap handle 6 and above (flaps 25, 30 and 40 on a 737) ..change the flap handle number to suit the aircraft. 

With the landing flap setting the vortices will be produced from below 175 knots until touchdown (SIM ON GROUND)

Strictly speaking (IMHO...I may be mistaken) the flap vortices should disappear with the deployment of the spoilers (as the airflow over the wing is spoilt)

Hello folks!

I'd like to understand, step by step, what each line meaning.

Where can I set the effect to a condensation, for example?

Where can I get a tutorial about how to edit an effect file?

Another question about XML gauge and effects is:

Is XML and effects linked? There is some instruction that links the gauge and effect?

Cláudio