Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Help guys...I'm flying online participating in a big event and have an issue with my landing gear

Well...did get down but not exactly the way I usually land...after t/d the main right landing gear sank down into the ground but looking at the aircraft hopefully everyone onboard were able to walk from the a/c using their own legs.

Still wondering what happened and why...

This is a screenshot showing what it looked like after landing and the a/c came to a stop.

Gear%20failure%20ending%20in%20Dublin.JP

Procedures outlined Page 320 of the manual Section 14:12 - 14.16

Relayed message: All equipment out, running and standing by. Good Luck!

Please advise earliest as AVSIM  B)  duty Control room staff so quiet can hear pin drop, no one breathing except occasional gasp 

:lol:

Thanks Stephen, I'm sure you guys were part of the lucky outcome although with a partly crippled a/c...

Richard Åsberg

AVSIM control room explodes in shouts, whistles and cheers (but not at the same time) :yahoo:

That's all right, it will all come out in the enquiry! You will receive the same pay you make now until then. :P

Well...did get down but not exactly the way I usually land...after t/d the main right landing gear sank down into the ground but looking at the aircraft hopefully everyone onboard were able to walk from the a/c using their own legs.

Still wondering what happened and why...

Just to let you know you're not crazy, I'm able to report that the exact same thing happened to me once (and only once) a couple of weeks ago. One of the main landing gears remained extended, no warnings, no lights, no failures, ultimately resulting in a "collapsed gear" and nacelle paint scrub job upon landing. I've never figured out what the exact cause was, unfortunately.

AVSIM control room explodes in shouts, whistles and cheers (but not at the same time) :yahoo:

That's all right, it will all come out in the enquiry! You will receive the same pay you make now until then. :P

:lol:

Well...guess all I can do right now is hoping the investigation will show it wasn't pilot error :P

Richard Åsberg

Happend me also about two months ago. I think i was using FSPax at the time. Im not saying that caused it but i also had no active failures listed.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Just to let you know you're not crazy, I'm able to report that the exact same thing happened to me once (and only once) a couple of weeks ago. One of the main landing gears remained extended, no warnings, no lights, no failures, ultimately resulting in a "collapsed gear" and nacelle paint scrub job upon landing. I've never figured out what the exact cause was, unfortunately.

Yeah, this is really a strange issue and fact is I've seen this before maybe 2 or 3 times.

What was different this time was I had this red light for the right gear, the previous times when the gear collapsed on one side like this I had no warnings at all before it happened.

When it happened the first time I was sure it must have been me landing to hard but when I later checked the flight log my descent rate at time of touch down was approx 150 ft/min which shouldn't cause a collapsed gear AFAIK so must be something else.

Well...all is good and time to go to sleep and hopefully I will not have any nightmares about red warning lights for landing gear issues :wink:

Happend me also about two months ago. I think i was using FSPax at the time. Im not saying that caused it but i also had no active failures listed.

OK, well...I haven't been using FSPax since FS9 several years ago so must be something else behind this.

Richard Åsberg

I had this effect last time back in fs2k2/fs9 using the PSS A320.

I also made the experience, like you Richard, that this effect happens after a hard touchdown: something between "hard" and "crash".

I was actually able to cause this gear issue intentionally. I think it occured on sink rates between 400 and 750 fpm and as far as I remember you had to land that hard on one main gear strut. I don't remember exactly anymore, but it worked fine for the right main gear. (Crash detection must be on, of course.) It can also be that one has to land with a relatively high speed in order to reduce the significance of the down vector. But, as I said, it is a long time ago and so I don't remember the details anymore.

But as your incident shows, it still works with the PMDG B737NGX!

Greetings,

Claus

P.S.: It was big fun trying to land (on the left main gear) and keep the right wing up as long as possible... :-)

P.P.S: Richard, did you change the line "visual_damage=0" in the aircraft.cfg to "...=1". It could have been one of the reasons for that working, but: I don't remember...

If this happens when you do a hard landing it would make sense but in my case as I said in my last post my descent rate when this happened before was only about 150 fpm so I'm still not sure what is causing this with the NGX.

I'm not in front of my computer now so I need to double check later on but I can't remember setting visual damage to 1 in aircraft.cfg

Yep...balancing on one gear in a 737 really is something :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Was the circuit breaker popped? lol In real life I would check the gear motor breaker.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It sounds like, yet again, a mechanic left a flashlight (torch for you across-the-ponders) in the wheel well.  :Doh:

Walter Meier

Having both lights lit is indicating that potentially the gear is down and not locked which could lead to gear collapse, a not infrequent emergency stand-by at airports.

Did the two lights remain on for the right side gear when the lever was selected to down?

Perhaps the PMDG team fill us in on how this type of failure is modelled.

I've just now lost a significant amount of paint and pax confidence by touching down just like many of you seem to have done at some point.

All gears were down, green lights and all - no signs of any issues whatsoever. And then, at the very second of touchdown I noticed that something went very very wrong.

When the plane had finally come to a halt I realized that the right main gear had collapsed into the ground. Sound familiar?

Luckily there was no fire and I think apart from bruises and some thoroughly shaken nerven the passengers were okay and able to leave via overwing exits (first time I could actually used them, YAY!).

However, just like all the others, I have absolutely no idea at all what went wrong! No warning lights; no failures active in my FMC.

It wasn't a perfect landing, but I've had much harder ones where nothing broke.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that only yesterday I turned on service-based failures for the first time ever. However if this issue had been service-based I would've expected it to show up in the FMC afterwards!

I think we're all thankful for anyone who can shed some light on this.

Having both lights lit is indicating that potentially the gear is down and not locked which could lead to gear collapse, a not infrequent emergency stand-by at airports.

Did the two lights remain on for the right side gear when the lever was selected to down?

Perhaps the PMDG team fill us in on how this type of failure is modelled.

Hi Stephen,

No, when the gear lever was moved to it's down position the red right gear light extinguished and I had '3 green' just as on a normal landing but whenever I selected 'Gear up' the red right gear light would come back on again together with the green right gear light as seen in the screenshot.

Would be very interesting and appreciated if someone from PMDG with insight into the NGX failure modelling could comment on this and confirm if it indeed is a normal NGX failure modelled by PMDG since the FMC reported none for active failures.

Richard Åsberg

I've just now lost a significant amount of paint and pax confidence by touching down just like many of you seem to have done at some point.

All gears were down, green lights and all - no signs of any issues whatsoever. And then, at the very second of touchdown I noticed that something went very very wrong.

When the plane had finally come to a halt I realized that the right main gear had collapsed into the ground. Sound familiar?

Luckily there was no fire and I think apart from bruises and some thoroughly shaken nerven the passengers were okay and able to leave via overwing exits (first time I could actually used them, YAY!).

However, just like all the others, I have absolutely no idea at all what went wrong! No warning lights; no failures active in my FMC.

It wasn't a perfect landing, but I've had much harder ones where nothing broke.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that only yesterday I turned on service-based failures for the first time ever. However if this issue had been service-based I would've expected it to show up in the FMC afterwards!

I think we're all thankful for anyone who can shed some light on this.

Sounds very familiar...

Hopefully someone from PMDG can put a couple of minutes aside commenting on this.

Richard Åsberg

I've had a similar thing happen to me on a flight between LIRF and LOWI. Right landing gear would not retract on departure, and cycling the gear didn't work. No service-based failures or any failure indicated either. Collapsed on touchdown. That flight was among my first 10 with the NGX, and I've not had it happen since. Strange stuff indeed...

-Henrik

i7 9600K  -  RTX 2080  -  32gb DDR4  -  Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog