Sign in to follow this  
victorlima01

PMDG / FSX on an iMac?

The only issue I find on the MacBook Pro (i7 2.2GHz) is the cooling fan. it gets loud really fast and ruins some of the ambient sounds in the cockpit. Otherwise, FSX runs quite well, even with 50% AI setting on UT2.

Walter Meier

You can run it via Bootcamp, which is simply repartitioning your drive and installing Microsoft Windows. You are not running FSX natively on Mac OS X. You are not running ANY Windows ".exe" program on Mac OS X.

Nate G

Apparently this upsets you somewhat...  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Wow. Way to handle a thousand dollar buy.

And they scold us for under a hundred dollar addons.

I´m over-simplifying a bit Pete. There are other and more important reasons why she wants an iMac. It´s what she´s used for years and what she´s used to. Her office computer is also Apple and she wants to keep things unified. To be perfectly honest ever since I got a Macbook Air I have to confess I fell in love with their design and with Mac OS, despite numerous shortcomings which are familar to most of you guys.

'm running the PMDG 777 on a 2012 iMac (3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz,  8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB, 768GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5) and I'm getting 30 fps (locked) around OMDB (Fly Tampa) running Windows 7 64bit under BootCamp with lastest nvidia beta drivers.

René, how did you manage to get that graphics card on the iMac? on Apple.com they donpt give you much of a choice. When buying the 2013 21" model you can choose the processor, RAM and HD, but they won´t let you take a pick at video cards. You´re pretty much stuck with the meek 512 mb of memory of the GeForce GT 640M.

Nate thanks for the heads-up but that´s just too much of a hassle for me. Truth be told, space is a problem and the iMac is the ideal solution when it comes to that. One of the reaI´m being pushed towards the macintosh. ..

René, how did you manage to get that graphics card on the iMac? on Apple.com they donpt give you much of a choice. When buying the 2013 21" model you can choose the processor, RAM and HD, but they won´t let you take a pick at video cards. You´re pretty much stuck with the meek 512 mb of memory of the GeForce GT 640M.

Victor, that option is only available on the high end 27" iMac. You have the option of the stock Nvidia Geforce GTX 675MX with 1GB DDR5 or for $150 more then GTX 680MX with 2GB DDR5. I used to work at the Apple Store, and far as I know, that configuration is only sold online and at some high volume retail stores. It's definitely a lot of money, but that display is incredible, and the ability to have both OS's on one machine is great.

Victor, that option is only available on the high end 27" iMac. You have the option of the stock Nvidia Geforce GTX 675MX with 1GB DDR5 or for $150 more then GTX 680MX with 2GB DDR5. I used to work at the Apple Store, and far as I know, that configuration is only sold online and at some high volume retail stores. It's definitely a lot of money, but that display is incredible, and the ability to have both OS's on one machine is great.

Soon after I wrote the post I went back to apple.com and found out for myself, but thank you for taking the time to point it out to me. I would love to have the dough to invest on the high-end 27"iMac with this graphics card... but it would cost $1000 more than my  "dream rig" ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/3BK4TCT0UD471/ref=topnav_lists_3 ).

That, coupled with my country's ridiculous import taxes makes it unfeasible. In the end I'd be paying around $3600. That's double what I had initially set as a realistic limit. 

Once again, thanks to all who replied and helped. I'll let you guys know how it went down. 

Apparently this upsets you somewhat...  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

It doesn't upset me at all, sweetie. I'm simply stating it as it is: You won't run FSX on Mac OS X, which you're arguing that you can.

Nate G

You won't run FSX on Mac OS X, which you're arguing that you can

I can't seen anyone arguing that.

Ehh... I actually have a 27" iMac, but with no specs for running FSX, but built a new PC in the light of the upcoming 777. Modern graphics cards have DisplayPort out... so the iMac now doubles as my main monitor! 2560x1440 and fantastic colors.

I guess it's a "best of both worlds" here, with the looks of an iMac and the power of a (very quiet) box hidden under the table. :-)

<edit>(now what did I do wrong with the signature?)(ok, works now. Thanks)</edit>

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

try using [img instead of [img ;)

My FSX machine is a 2010 27" i5 iMac. With some effort, I'm pretty happy with how NGX runs in it.

If you want to fly, do not get an iMac, I have one myself and the graphics need to be toned down ALOT if you want decent FPS, like 30-40

It doesn't upset me at all, sweetie. I'm simply stating it as it is: You won't run FSX on Mac OS X, which you're arguing that you can.

Nate G

LOL...  

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Sorry for posting in this thread after some time, but I would ask if a Mac can fulfill my FSX wishes... I want to run FSX on highest settings with FTX Global, REX, AS Next (or one of these two), Aerosoft/UK2000 Airports, PMDG Aircraft and some small add ons like Ezdok. Is it possible to run FSX with these add ons on a stable 30 fps for the most time with this configuration with Bootcamp?

27 inch iMac:
- 3.4 GhZ Quad Core processor (turbo to 3.8)
- 8 GB 1600 Mhz RAM
- 256 GB Pci-E flash storage
- Geforce GTX 780M 4 GB graphics card

Thanks!

currently runing fsx on bootcamp win 7 x64 on my macbook pro ( with door open ! Macbooks have problems in coolings )

well,i'm using my laptop for over 2 years and i'm happy with it,but planning to buy a pc and retire my macbook pro.

but a suggestion,never use a computer the way it isnt made for;in my country (iran),there's a little company who makes pc's specified for fsx (i'm gonna buy a 6000$ one in july of them);and i'm pretty sure they're dozens of other ones all around the world!(if there's a one in iran,they're 100 time better ones in other countries).so my suggestion is,dont chase apple for fsx.i've heard once from that company:"maybe the new macpro only give you 40 fps with ASN,REX,NGX in dubai;because fsx doesnt know your up-to-date hardware cause its 7-8 years old!" so dont chase the best graphic cards and other stuff,go search the internet for pro tweaker-pc sorting companies who provide boosted PCs

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air