Sign in to follow this  
usarmyav8or

Biulding a home cockpit around the 737ngx

If this topic has been covered somewhere else, i apologize ahead of time.

Im wanting some opinions/solutions/input from the flight sim community on the above topic.

Im starting to build a home cockpit. My concept is to use wood to build a cockpit frame (that can be easily disassembled, since i have to move frequently....army life) and slowly begin to build a replica of a 737-800 NGX cockpit. My concept is this:

Dell XPS 1640 laptop (8 GB ram, 500GB HDD, ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4650, win7 x64)

connect my laptop to a Matrox Triplehead2go DE which is going to be connected to 3 24" inch LED monitors. (larger monitors after i retire from the army)

Im using the Virtual CDU app for my andriod tablet to act as the CDU.

Im buying the Throttle Quadrant (http://www.flightsimpm.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3989457) which will be put into a wooden build pedestal. This will also house all the radios, Xpdr, NAV equipment at a later date.

up to this point, i can run it all from my laptop.

Im trying to figure out a solution to the following:

I want to have a touch screen overhead panel but im out of display ports for the triplehead2go, and i don't think i can hook one up to my vga or hdmi port without making windows 7 flip out (not sure though) is this possible??

I also want to "undock" the main 737 ngx panel and put it on another monitor.  This probably won't happen since you can't do that with PMDG 737ngx that i know of. so the three main monitors will be the VC.

I think that i can use FS wideview to run the overhead touch screen monitor on a separate pc (cheapy im gonna buy from ebay or something)

other option is to use FSwideview to drive the outer monitors and use the center, lower and overhead (touch screen) thru the laptop.

any suggestions? hints or problems that i might not be aware of so far.

Rob

Rob,

How are you coming on this?

I would think that a laptop just wouldn't have enough beef to support FSX and PMDG's 747 NGX.

Keep me posted sir

X USMCR/USN

Chaz

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

ypagu9un.jpg

I'm running a evga GeForce 660ti graphics card i5 3750 processor more ram then windows 7 can use. The captain pfd and nd are one monitor, overhead another, and FO pfd/nd a third. They are on the triple head to go which is connected to one dvi port. The eicas is on my DP slot, projector on the HDMI. I have the FDS FMC on the second dvi port.

Works great.

I thought about the touch screen but I don't believe it will work. Because of the left/right click issue.

Justin whetstone

y3ehena6.jpg

Here's the monitor mounted overhead.

Justin whetstone