Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

Basic "Simmanship" needed in Flight Simulators

In regards to another post about Basic Airmanship needing to be enforced on flight simulators I bring you my thoughts on what I think needs to be focused on a bit more... I call it "Simmanship".

Simmanship is about helping out fellow simmers, educating them instead of bashing them over the head, acting as a mentor if you would. There are many new people that join the Flight Simulation community every day through Microsoft Flight (yes while not really a simulator it is a gateway and thus is valid), X-Plane, FSX, FS9, and FlightGear (purposely left out P3D as I don't think new people even know what P3D is). It should be our duty as seasoned sim and for some real aviators to not only welcome them to the FS world but educate them as needed by their request. As an Admin and VA Manager for MSFlights.net I see lots of members ridicule, laugh, and complain about certain new comers who run into people , crash on runways and buildings. I agree it is a bit embarrassing and sometimes frustrating to hear such simple questions that make you wonder if the person is trolling or not. However I have helped such 3 individuals over my past annual tenure as admin on circumstances exactly like I described before; where they had little to no clue what was going on, all 3 are still with the group, 2 of the 3 fly for a Virtual Airline now and are relatively successful in it, the last one does not get on Flight Sim much anymore as they decided they liked flying so much they wanted to pursue it as a career and he is now a full time aviation student. Far to often are people not given a fair chance in some communities and I am not saying that AVSIM treats their new members poorly, however there are many groups out there that do, and its sad. Your thoughts, comments, 2 cents, all welcome here, and please try to keep it relevant to the Thread Topic, thanks!

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Bravo zulu. 

Wonderful post!

Fully agree with everything. A little more kindness would go a long way

Well said. As a corp pilot I offer to help when I can. Try to add a little humor and get the guys and gals to realize it is usually a simple solution to a not so complex problem. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. From the neck down we are all worth minimum wage. It is what you have up top that counts. Kindness goes a long way in my book. Some should remember we all start somewhere. We are over all a good bunch of old farts with nothing better to do, and me for one love this hobby so much. Glad to have met many here who are of like mind. Thanks for the post, Cpt out.

Great post about something that I have seen lacking far to many times. You should double post in the PMDG forums. They really need to read something like this.

Well said!  I read quite a few forums and "comments" sections on various sites; and it really seems like the national pastime is to be as crude as possible and bash someone in print as a kind of contest.  A sign of our times I guess...

Great post about something that I have seen lacking far to many times. You should double post in the PMDG forums. They really need to read something like this.

+1

Yup good idea.

What happens in these Forums amounts to a perpetual contest, in which the participants try to prove who knows more, usually about a specific aspect of 'simmanship'. For example, the proper way to execute a specific STAR or SID, like the LOC/DME-E approach to KASE.

Someone will ask a question, and eventually the 'usual suspects' (we all know who they are) will come into the conversation, and end up having a flame war amongst themselves, often times ignoring the OP that started the thread in the first place, and chasing the OP away with their overbearing tone.

It's always the same group, too; regardless of the Topic or Forum.

We all like to talk about having more civility and courtesy in these Forums...

... the problem is 'walking the walk'.

Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces_zps5460df

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

What happens in these Forums amounts to a perpetual contest, in which the participants try to prove who knows more, usually about a specific aspect of 'simmanship'. For example, the proper way to execute a specific STAR or SID, like the LOC/DME-E approach to KASE.

Someone will ask a question, and eventually the 'usual suspects' (we all know who they are) will come into the conversation, and end up having a flame war amongst themselves, often times ignoring the OP that started the thread in the first place, and chasing the OP away with their overbearing tone.

It's always the same group, too; regardless of the Topic or Forum.

We all like to talk about having more civility and courtesy in these Forums...

... the problem is 'walking the walk'.

Posted Image

Great comment Viper.

And OP, great idea. I encourage you to develop it.

Ill still call airmanship airmanship. At least future pilots will know it when they get to real flight school.

I am more than happy to dig through my manuals and training books and other resources to help those interested in really learning to fly.

Yes it is fun flying (for real) but the fun can end very fast if the right attitude isn't established. But I would ale a punt and say you know this anyway judging from the common sense you guys are using.

I'm old school and have been taught by the best. It is easy to get caught out if you get too relaxed. Good habits can really make a huge difference. If you know the cue for doing a certain checklist and do it diligently you are protecting yourself. I have seen too often people just do what they like and I know that that is how you end up in trouble.

I believe passionately that a good pilot is much happier with themselves too because they take great pride and satisfaction in their attitude of doing things.

I hope you take some lessons from simmership Daniel, we all can in fact.

Basically it's let people do what they want, if they want to learn the most realistic way and get ready for real flight, they will find most of us will help, if they don't, they don't.

Blue skies Dan

Lee

I hope you take some lessons from simmership Daniel, we all can in fact.

Basically it's let people do what they want, if they want to learn the most realistic way and get ready for real flight, they will find most of us will help, if they don't, they don't.

Blue skies Dan

Lee

This was the exact meaning for my OP, what I have found is most simmers over time from "noob" to professional start our goofing off a lot just to get the feel of it, those that end up staying (not everyone gets into simming) usually end up thirsting for more, or they hear people talking in what they perceive as "code" and want to know more. That's referred to as general human curiosity, and we should be there when they have questions, and encourage them to ask those questions (given there will likely be many questions that some would conceive as "stupid") however, those "noobs" over the course of 6-12 months usually end up flying higher fidelity models, and start assisting other "noob" pilots as they can relate to them personally; its similar to "pay it forward". If you force something on someone they most likely will tune it out or avoid it altogether, this is not what we want, the more people that get into simming might become developers or drive developers to make more aircraft as there is a larger market, we are the life blood of this community and we need to show positive reinforcement where applicable.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Great comment Viper.

And OP, great idea. I encourage you to develop it.

Ill still call airmanship airmanship. At least future pilots will know it when they get to real flight school.

I am more than happy to dig through my manuals and training books and other resources to help those interested in really learning to fly.

Yes it is fun flying (for real) but the fun can end very fast if the right attitude isn't established. But I would ale a punt and say you know this anyway judging from the common sense you guys are using.

I'm old school and have been taught by the best. It is easy to get caught out if you get too relaxed. Good habits can really make a huge difference. If you know the cue for doing a certain checklist and do it diligently you are protecting yourself. I have seen too often people just do what they like and I know that that is how you end up in trouble.

I believe passionately that a good pilot is much happier with themselves too because they take great pride and satisfaction in their attitude of doing things.

IAF747

Very thoughtfull of you to drop in with some dignity, as I mentioned in my last comment (Your Post) I wish you had found a better way to present yourself/post, it had so much potential had that been the case.

This post has that very potential as long it doesnt get ruined by Trolls, I wish the OP well with this and will follow with interest, Great post and good comments as the majority of us noobs soo find that there is more to FSX than we thought, the potential quickly becomes clear and we strive to improve.

We stock our hangars as best we can, and of course we look for good advice where we can find it, forums such as this are full of viable info and great help as we find our way through what is normally a minefield of problems standard to FSX, Only to find a barrage of snotty arrogant remarks and often unhelpfull (yawns and nothing to see here) from people who should quite frankly know better.

Happily there is also a much larger group in most forums that can be most helpfull, Its cool to be a part of this ideal, and a shame that people who dont support this ideal just carry on basically being disruptive or negative, the ideal is so simple really, nothing helpfull to add, then dont post or live with the remarks that follow. but dont run up yr post count with negative comments amounting to (top Poster) . 

Good stuff here I hope.

Regards

Guss.

Got that right.