Sign in to follow this  
trmc10

FSX on Win8 64bit

I would like to return to FS after many years on hiatus. I used to be on FS2004 with gigs of addons. I have recently built a new computer that uses Win8 64bit. Before I buy FSX, I've been doing a lot of research and finding a lot of reported issues with this config. Everything from cannot install, cannot register, to frequent crashes.

What are the chances I will be able to install FSX and successfully be able to use it? Is it just a matter of working through some issues that can be fixed or worked around, or is there a very good chance that I just won't be able to install or run it in a stable environment.

Thanks very much for input.

Tim

it runs well but after 6 month of strange matters and undeclarable issues I went back to w7 64 bits and very happy now.

so in my view is w7 64 the best choice if you run fsx only and on a desktop.

it runs perfectly on my W8Pro x64 system since wit was released last October.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Running my FSX on windows 8PRO 64bit since December 2012 and no issues at all. I have all sorts of addons PMDG, UT2, OpusFSX, orbx etc. Do long-haul flights over several hours and no problems. I think so long you have a decent system and everything is updated, FSX runs is fine.

So you got two different opinions. Happy decision making.....

Runs fine on my W8/64 config since several months.

Only problem that I encountered (and I am not alone on this one) is the possible total loss of detection of USB joysticks after some random duration.

Seems to happen on some "old" games, and FSX is one of them.

If you have this problem (seems to not happen for every Win8 user, I have a quite complex USB config with Warthog Hotas, rudders, and many other USB devices), you can easily solve it by using FSUIPC to declare and calibrate joysticks. I did not have a single USB bug since then, and everything runs fine (my FSX config is quite complete with AS2012, REX+OD, PMDG 737, RC4, etc...).

Chris

No problems other than the joystick issue. Runs very smooth. Better memory management than win7.

No problems other than the joystick issue. Runs very smooth. Better memory management than win7.

+1

My USB/Joystick issue occurs VERY infrequently and only when I move focus to another window then back to FSX... something I don't normally do.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I have one (or two) issue.

1. PMDG JS41 livery installers crash during decompression. Didn't bother to investigate.

2 (fixed).  Missing font (quartz.ttf) in PMDG MD-11. This was fixed with help of PMDG support (Ryan Maziarz). I am not sure this was win8 issue as I googled a few font problems with this add-on in Win7. Beside that, MD-11 works great on Win8

Didn't notice any other issues, but truth is, most of my stuff was installed on Windows 7 x64 and later I decided to upgrade to Win 8 x64 pro. I was too lazy for clean installation (and had quite an ordeal reinstalling FSX on Win7).

Thanks for the responses! That at least gives me enough confidence to give it a try, especially at $24 for the software. As we all know, if it ends up working, that will be just a drop in the bucket of what I will end up spending long-term.

Tim

Well, so far I'm having nothing but problems. Installed FSX, activated, got to the main menu screen, click on Free Flight and it CTD's. So I figured I would try installing Acceleration Pack. Did that, activated it, now I get "Fatal Error has occurred" when it tries to launch.

I tried deleting the logbook file and the fsx.cfg. Nothing.

Any thoughts? Basically what I worried might happen is happening.

Thanks

Tim

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Runs fine on my W8/64 config since several months.

Only problem that I encountered (and I am not alone on this one) is the possible total loss of detection of USB joysticks after some random duration.

Seems to happen on some "old" games, and FSX is one of them.

If you have this problem (seems to not happen for every Win8 user, I have a quite complex USB config with Warthog Hotas, rudders, and many other USB devices), you can easily solve it by using FSUIPC to declare and calibrate joysticks. I did not have a single USB bug since then, and everything runs fine (my FSX config is quite complete with AS2012, REX+OD, PMDG 737, RC4, etc...).

Chris

Same here...WIN8/x64 since January and runs better than ever. However, I have a faster machine now too. I had the same issue of losing my yoke and pedals, but with FSUIPC (payware version), no problems since.

I read different threads, on different forums, and the main thing everyone talked about was to install FSX in a different directory other than the default directory. I installed mine under just C:\FSX. Everything worked fine. Then, I decided to experiment and uninstalled, re-installed into the default directory a couple of months ago, run as Administrator (along with all other addons ie, EZDOK, ACTIVE SKY, TRACKIR 5) and have had no problems at all.

Hope you get it figured out.

Rod

Rod Beck

I figured out my problem from another thread...I have 8.1 Preview installed (bonehead move). Sounds like the two are not compatible at all.

Now I need to decide if it's worth restoring the system and starting from scratch again.

Thanks for everyone's input.