Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

FSX Error: Black screen after alt tab

Hello all,

I have been facing the above mentioned error lately. whenever i go to adjust an addon (e.g. opus or ezca) while fsx is running (through alt tab) the fsx screen goes black. i can hear the sounds i can also end the flight and go back to the main menu but i cannot continue the flight due to the black screen. this also happens when i select replay or go to settings.

my sys specs are:

intel core i5-2500 cpu 3.30 ghz 3.70 ghz

memory ram 8 gb

64 bit operating system

win 7

nvidia geforce gt 440 

utilities addons:

opus

rex with OD

ezca

shade for fsx

fsuipc

Event viewer:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: weather.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002d780
Faulting process id: 0x1104
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9fe5d2dc27d1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\weather.dll
Report Id: 2456623c-0bdb-11e3-a812-902b34593834

your assistance is well appreciated.

thanks a lot,

Not a real solution, more a workaround, but what happens when you switch to windowed mode using alt-enter? I used to use alt-tab in the past but also had all kinds of problems with it: alt-enter works like a charm. 

Are you using ENB? I ran into this problem over and over again after installing ENB and in the end ditched it and the problem went. 

ETA I just re-read your post and see it isn't listed. In that case I'm not so sure. 

Hello Jeroen,

thank you for your reply. unfortunately the alt enter is giving the same result (black screen in windowed mode). 

Hello Bennyboy75,

no i dont use enb.

Regards,

I too used to have this issue.

My workaround is to manually pause, ALT-ENTER out of full-screen mode, and then do whatever I need to do. 

To resume flying, ALT-ENTER and unpause. Has worked every time so far.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

When you have swapped back to full screen FSX, and it results in just a black screen... then simply press ENTER one time. Give it 2-5 seconds and you'll have a normal view. DO NOTHING ELSE as soon as you get the black screen, don't click with the mouse or wathever... just press ENTER.

I have this issue also sometimes, and found out that this always works. Hitting ENTER in this stage is actually telling Windows to "open up - or activate - the window" of the application you're in.

Try it... tell

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

i can hear the sounds i can also end the flight and go back to the main menu but i cannot continue the flight due to the black screen

It's always done this for me in two completely different installs.  The solution is easy:  simply click in the black screen & hit the Enter key and all is well.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

When you alt-tab, you have to alt-tab twice to come back to full screen. This is a bug because of fsx bad aero compatibility.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

ok guys, found the solution: i had to disable nvstreamsvc and no more black screens. 

thank you all for your contributions.

ok guys, found the solution: i had to disable nvstreamsvc and no more black screens. 

thank you all for your contributions.

I tried this by just killing it in task manager, but this only made FSX crash when alt+tabbing...

In which way did you disable it?

Now I actually only get CTD... It's either that or Black Screen. Extremely annoying.

Hello Johan,

go to command prompt and type:

sc stop "NvStreamSvc" 

then type
sc config "NvStreamSvc" start= disabled

it worked for me (Win7) and i hope it will work for you as well. noting that every system might respond differently for any program disable/enable.

best regards,

Hello Johan,

sc stop "NvStreamSvc" 

then type

it worked for me (Win7) and i hope it will work for you as well. noting that every system might respond differently for any program disable/enable.

best regards,

Thanks Steve, 

I literally minutes ago found another way around it!

by going into Nvidia settings and choosing "use Nvidia settings" in the color preferences, I now am able to get to windowed mode. Still cannot task switch from full screen, it Blacks out, but if I from Black screen press windowed mode, it works again, so I guess this one is solved! 

Hello Johan,

sc stop "NvStreamSvc" 

then type

best regards,

Hello again. For some reason the crashing returned, even though I use "Nvidia Color Mode"..

Tried your fix, and nope. Still either Black or CTD....

Hello Johan,

actually I am not a hardware expert, I just found the solution over the Internet. Check your event viewer report it will direct you to the faulty area.

I hope I can help you more my friend.