Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

FSX Error: Black screen after alt tab

Hello Johan,

actually I am not a hardware expert, I just found the solution over the Internet. Check your event viewer report it will direct you to the faulty area.

I hope I can help you more my friend.

Hey, trust me, I'm just happy anybody's even bothering! :)

After updating NVidia software (not Driver) and unselecting an option for it to "enable to send to Nvidia stream" within the Nvidia software, I'm back to being able to switch to Windowed mode (IF I pause first), and that's enough to use the sim. 

But ofcourse, one should be able to task-switch without ANY issues...

How do I get to the Event Viewer? Complete noob on Win8.. :(

I have win 7. Start > search :"event viewer", i am lazy enough to go for it this way :).

Cheers Steve, but I don't know what to do with it when it's launched!

And now the random crashes are back... Totally unpredictable. This is getting VERY annoying and frustrating.

whenever i go to adjust an addon (e.g. opus or ezca) while fsx is running (through alt tab) the fsx screen goes black

The faulting module for your crash was the weather.dll.  Perhaps this fix will work (since you say you are using OPUS) - http://www.simforums.com/forums/weatherdll-crash_topic43434.html.  I don't own this software but don't think you can do any configuring while fsx is running....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The faulting module for your crash was the weather.dll.  Perhaps this fix will work (since you say you are using OPUS) - http://www.simforums.com/forums/weatherdll-crash_topic43434.html.  I don't own this software but don't think you can do any configuring while fsx is running....

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, 

I believe SVA1181 got rid of his problems. Mine remains though. :)

How do I get to the Event Viewer? Complete noob on Win8..

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-event-viewer.htm

Hopefully you do know that the Uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx folder is not compatible with Windows 8 so, if you have it located there, remove it.  It will create all kinds of problems as the dll belongs to the Microsoft.net Framework package.

FSX has never ever been very good with Alt-Tab.  In fact, getting out of the Task Manager alone is one heck of a major chore in Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.  I have been successful only a few times but I was very persistent.  I wasn't going to let a little ole program like FSX ruin my day as I was halfway in between an otherwise fantastic flight to St Louis.  I had to go into the Task Manager to get rid of AS2012 as the program was causing fsx to freeze up (I believe because it was trying to contact the weather server and trying to update the weather).  I subsequently found that if I just load the default FSX weather (which is really AS2012), I never got the freezes.  But if I had AS2012 running in the background, it was a 100% surety that FSX would freeze up halfway to St Louie.

If you have further problems, you should download and run AppCrashView and past the copy of the crash report (if any) here - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim.

Well I do have the Uiautomationcore.dll in my FSX main folder. Before I put it there, FSX would CTD randomly in flight. After installing it it only randomly crashes on task switching/windowed mode changing.

It crashes no matter wether AS2012 is running or not. Just downloaded the latest driver for my GPU, but no change...

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you Jim, after disabling the NVstreamsvc the black screen CTDs are way less than they were before, and i can say are rare. in anyway to be on the safe side, I will try to correct the weather issue as well and report back.

Thanks again,

Just a nite in this, if you are getting a black screen but still hearing aircraft sounds, and you are an ATI user, then the chances are that you've updated beyond 13.4.

The fault lays with atiumdag.dll since 13.9 was released.

There are two ways to fix this.

1: roll back to 13.4 or earlier (there is a detailed video on my you tube channel)

2: Get a pre 13.4 atiumdag.dll and paste it straight into your fsx root folder.

Basically either roll back, or roll back, make a copy of the offending atiumdag.dll, update, and copy and paste the old atiumdag.dll to your fsx root folder.

Just a nite in this, if you are getting a black screen but still hearing aircraft sounds, and you are an ATI user, then the chances are that you've updated beyond 13.4.

The fault lays with atiumdag.dll since 13.9 was released.

Hi, im using 13.251(13.12) and have same problem. Not crash, but black screen after alt+tab or FSP menu for exmpl. I dont know what to do. Cos if i install 13.152 i have APP crash atiumdag.dll..i buy video card three days ago and cant play fsx normaly. Whats wrong with AMD  :angry: 

sorry for my english

Also may can check box DX10 and after alt+tab just alt+enter. But DX10 its temp solution i think =/

fellas im getting this problem with  980 GTX, ive tries both latest versions of the drivers. i cannot get out of thr black screen no mater what.... also stops my desktop from refreshing

i can move the window around and " Paint " the desktop back. if i CTRL ALT DEL it will bring the desktop back. however my FSX is still in black window mode 

im running DX10 with the fixer 

any other ideas 

?

Thanks 

Jho