Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

FTX Global questions

Smart move!

You know the saying: "The grass is always greener on the other side."; well in this case it is true. The FTXG grass is much greener, even in areas where it shouldn't be.

As opposed to the grass being much browner in much of the world where it shouldn't be.

FSX has never been perfect.

Thanks for all the replies but to be honest, after reading other threads here and Kostas blog, I am not comfortable with a program that doesnt have an installer ( I have PNW), changes core FSX files, and causes potential problems with other 3rd party addons.

The 'color' issue isn't a problem for me, but the rest are so I am sticking with my current texture addon, again, tks for the replies.

Jay

I haven't had ONE problem with FTXG. It works flawlessly and perfectly on my PC. The world looks so much better now...

+1 - don't deprive yourself of this tremendous add on because individuals with an axe to grind and an agenda are looking for any cracks in the Orbx armor. You can be sure Orbx will sort the installer situation out, if for no other reason than to give a poke in the eye to the naysayers.

Xplane still reins supreme for night operation, but only so far as road traffic and vectoring. Cities, towns, and land class now at night, or in daylight, the crown is held by FSX/FSXG.

Hey Mitch,

How is night lighting w/ FTXG as far as performance impact goes?   So, it sounds like Hybrid is toggled off/on in FTX Central maybe?  What happens when you fly into an FTX area when hybrid is not turned on?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for all the replies but to be honest, after reading other threads here and Kostas blog, I am not comfortable with a program that doesnt have an installer ( I have PNW), changes core FSX files, and causes potential problems with other 3rd party addons.

The 'color' issue isn't a problem for me, but the rest are so I am sticking with my current texture addon, again, tks for the replies.

I warned you about the smoke screen. If you allow people to nit pick their way to a laundry list of "issues," they'll happily do it for you.

Uninstaller -- I see no reason to uninstall it. DON'T CARE.

Core FSX files -- So far, so good. DON'T CARE.

Green hue in the desert -- The FSX landclass can't be fixed with a texture set. The deserts sucked with default textures. They sucked with GEX, and they suck with FTXG. That's why I use photoscenery in the southwest US. DON'T CARE.

Impact on third party addons --So far, I haven't noticed any, and I use a TON of addons. DON'T CARE.

And if you're inclined to care about any of these "issues," rest assured that Orbx will respond to the whining and unrelenting smoke screens by releasing an uninstaller, by releasing landclass replacements and by addressing issues as they arise with third party addons.

I appreciate and take into consideration other people’s (who own the product) unbiased opinions.
But the final decision of what I make with my FSX installation is only mine.

Rule of thumb: If I’m unsure about an add-on, any add-on, I first make a full or incremental  backup of my FSX install folders
(8 total:  5 essential, 1 SDK and 2 more where I place utilities and such). Plus other hidden gems.

About the ininstaller? Don’t care either. But since I actually enjoy writing code more than using FSX. I wrote my own switcher/uninstaller app. weeks ago. Just for Kicks.

Cheers.

Anyone have a clue as to how to uninstall FTX Cental and associated files?

Jay

Anyone have a clue as to how to uninstall FTX Cental and associated files?

Yes, I believe many/some do.

But I really don’t understand what you are asking.

You mean FTX Central, the ORBX control program or FTX Global the texture replacement add-on?

Only reason I can think you would want to remove FTX Central and associated files is if you wanted to completely uninstall ALL ORBX areas- sceneries. Instructions on how to do that are on their site.

If you meant removing FTX Global, then either wait for the official ORBX uninstaller or if you are in a hurry, then there is a thread about that by NickN over at the Flight1’s  forums.

Cheers.

I have FTX NA and Oceania and want to remove them but cant find any uninstaller

Jay

I have FTX NA and Oceania and want to remove them but cant find any uninstaller

I don’t know if it’s good or bad (No opinion), but ORBX does not provide uninstallers

(They have their reasons).

AFAIK FTX Global uninstaller will be their first.

Note: The following: ---  Does Not apply for FTX Global ---

Therefore, if you want to uninstall other ORBX products you must do it manually.

Uninstalling ALL ORBX products - a quick guide

Cheers.

Why would the OP want to uninstall FTX NA and Oceania? I have both of those and no other company makes a better product for those area lol. Anyway, the easiest way to uninstall those is to uncheck them from the scenery library and then delete them from the orbx folder in the FSX directory. Uninstaller not needed lol

Make sure fsx is set to default in FTX central before removing the orbx folders

Anyone know how to solve the 3D lights issue in dx10 mode?

Search the forum. Someone found the fix. It involves changing a 1 to a 0 somewhere. Brilliant stuff. Hahaha

Change   3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.BGL     to   3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.off   to disble 3D lights for now.