Sign in to follow this  
brad9825

so uhh, now what?

so i just bought and installed an new gtx 670, any suggestion on tweaks and NI and what not? when i first ran prepar3d

after the installation all of the fonts and everything else were blurry. this is my first nvidia card so id love to get some help on how to get the best performance possible. :)

Remember a few tips. Dont try to replicate the settings from fsx. p3D has thicker settings than fsx for the same name. For example, Dense scenry in P3D is equivalent to Very Dense in fsx so people put it on very dense and wonder why their performance is less than fsx.

Most of the fsx tweaks are not needed in P3D, I only added a reject threshold and affinity mask, then everything else via Nvidia Inspector.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

You might use a more explanatory subject line next time. With the meaningless one you used perhaps you may not receive attention from some of the experts in the forum.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

thank for the tip :) any recommendations for NI?

Start with the minimum settings, going to highest brings nothing more useful than an ego boost. When you find a setting that makes your sim look good, with nk stutters, leave it alone.

I recommend Tabs' settings in the PMDG forum, in the first page he lists 3 possible settings, start with the lowest setting first, in fact, I am still just using that setting, my sim looks good, bright and stable, no need to change.

You will find a debate on wether setting the sim to unlimited and limiting frames via NI is the best way to go. Lots of different opinions.

I tried setting the sim to 30 and got stutters and poor performance. I then set to unlimited and 30 in NI and got much better performance so I left it at that.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

+1. Start with the default settings and work your way up changing only a few settings at a time, until you can't get smooth frame rates. I won't say 30 fps, because you might be satisfied with either a slightly higher or lower number.

brad9825, your best bet is to not mess around with the cfg file at all. Prepar3d generally runs fine and looks good right "out of the box" (with obvious changes like making sure you are using the maximum resolution for your monitor). I spent a lot of time trying various tweaks and all I did was discover new and novel ways to make P3d crash. 

As far as NI goes - the settings NickN posted on SImforums are still valid.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors