Sign in to follow this  
PigsInSpace

Good Landclass for N America - nothing new?

I have UTX, SceneryTech, FSGenesis and even looked at Cloud9, and OpenVFR but all those seem to still be lacking.

Since we have much better free source data since 2007-8 when most LC was created, is there anything else remotely acceptable available right now?

Anyone know of planned updates or new add-ons besides ORBX that might be a better alternative to the aforementioned products?

You listed them all.

You listed them all.

Sigh,I thought there might be something in your reply, Unfortunately Yes, I covered them all. :(

And they are ALL quite old, compiled with outdated, low detail and inaccurate source data. 

I'm not sure what the "better source data" is that allows for improved landclass?

scott s.

I'm not sure what the "better source data" is that allows for improved landclass?

scott s.

I'm pretty sure all 14 land use and cover reports were updated in 2011 and then released,  the next update is scheduled for 2016 or thereabouts, though I believe the free data is still 07...am I wrong?

He brings up a good question.  You'd think there would be more accurate landclass available as the technology to acquire and release the info gets better and cheaper. 

Can you imagine how awesome ORBX global would look on nicer landclass, I would love to see high fidelity LC offered.

The Orbx $100 texture package is released. The same landclass layout will appear BUT the pictures/textures are of a higher quality. Since FSX uses the same texture sets all over the world you will see "prettier" landclass everywhere.

However, the PLACEMENT of the textures remains as it is today. They look better but farmland on top of part of a city will remain.

Now, Orbx will be releasing the latest landclass texture PLACEMENT later by region. This means that towns and farms will look "closer" to reality. Given the size of a single landclass texture there is no way to make it perfect. You will no longer see farms on mountain sides. The accuracy of the placement of the proper new landclass textures should offer the best of what is available for most of the world.

If you want an even better landclass based presentation then the Orbx regions for Alaska and the northwest of the USA will give you very good landclass textures hand placed and, in some cases, augmented by photo scenery. A plus is that all the airports receive some treatment.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Thanks Dick, as much as that is great this wont do anything for us who fly everywhere else.

The Landclass for NE is pretty lame to put it mildly.

I'm pretty sure all 14 land use and cover reports were updated in 2011 and then released,  the next update is scheduled for 2016 or thereabouts, though I believe the free data is still 07...am I wrong?

All I can see for public download for the US is the National Land Cover Database 2006 (NLCD2006).  According to the face sheet, the next update NCLD2011 is scheduled for publication in December 2013.  So I guess that is what we are waiting for, though of course this is US not North America.

scott s.

I think ORBX is planning on upgrading the LC for the US area early in 2014. I also read that very soon they plan to release a package of upgraded airports for the usa area. Along with their new textures just released, things should be pretty sweet for us low and slow guys.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

All I can see for public download for the US is the National Land Cover Database 2006 (NLCD2006).  According to the face sheet, the next update NCLD2011 is scheduled for publication in December 2013.  So I guess that is what we are waiting for, though of course this is US not North America.

scott s.

Public release = Free Data, for the new ya gotta pay or have a way, work with someone in the field etc.

As for the schedules I was going by memory, so maybe there is new data coming out sooner than 16 that would make the 2011 stuff available as public free? 

I think ORBX is planning on upgrading the LC for the US area early in 2014. I also read that very soon they plan to release a package of upgraded airports for the usa area. Along with their new textures just released, things should be pretty sweet for us low and slow guys.

There it is, "Low and Slow" was great free LC for NEast Part of US.

I wonder if any of that ever has had any updates or if the developer of that freewhare is still do anything FSX related...Hmmm

"The Landclass for NE is pretty lame to put it mildly."

Spot on its terrible  :(

Rich Sennett