Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Future of FSX

Actually it was an interesting thread, until someone had to mention P3D.

P3D is a replacement for Microsoft ESP; it is not, nor has it ever been, a replacement for FSX.

I plan to stick with FSX until something else comes along. Not giving me any issues. I still get good FPS, no blurries, and my performance is overall very nice. I guess it might have something to do with not running everything on max settings, but even something like X-Plane which is a little more modern than FSX can still bring my system to it's knees if I try to max everything out.

So I guess for me, it's about finding a happy medium.

Perhaps those rumors were true when FSX ran on a NASA supercomputer all maxed out. :lol:

It will not be Entertainment software.

I've decided to put off a new computer until (if and when) L-M drops a new (64-bit?) version of P3D. 

I don't understand all the flap over the P3D EULA. 

Let's call games containing peripheral flightsim "entertainment" and our use of P3D "education".  Who doesn't practice landings, approaches, procedures, nav and a zillion other things in FSX and P3D? Who hasn't had their brain stimulated and educated by the multitudes of tweaks and addons our creative members have supplied? 

It's the main reason I initially bought FSX so I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing a 64 bit P3D.

Slim

I don't understand the feeling of being tired of, or uninspired by, FSX.  After all FSX is only the platform operating behind all the aircraft we fly, in the weather we have added, over all the scenery we have installed to the basic platform.

I'd move to something with technology which makes my aircraft fly better, over better scenery, but as long as my system runs FSX without problems, I don't really think of the program/game and its age at all.  It's the aircraft and the world they fly in which keep me interested.

And there's DX10!  :wink:

Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

I was about to retire from FSX and flight simming until ORBX announced FTX Global, so I'll give it another winter. I don't see Prepar3D being the next big thing, but proof will be in the pudding. One can always hope that Aerofly, Outerra or X-Plane suddenly turns into something usable. Realistically though, I think FSX is the last great flight sim.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Allegedly, Aerosoft was rumoured following the lack of interest in 'MS Flight', developing a new Flight Simulator but I have heard nothing since. 

Dave Taylor gb.png

It looks bright thanks to devs like A2A and their C172.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Great opinion's and conversation. I would to keep this thread going. It really inspire's me. As the starter of this thread I would like to keep P3D's EULA out of this thread. There was enough discussion and argument about that in a thread I started in July of this year. Please talk about P3D if you wish, just not the EULA.  Thank you fliers.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Good thought Simmerhead. I to thought about retireing FTX at one time but I will keep it on my old computer that I built for it.  I have keeping up with P3D on their web site and I won't to see how V2.0 is befour I deside if I would like to invest in another sim and start new. I have to say that what I've read about V2.0 is promising.

Regards

Lamar Wright

It looks bright thanks to devs like A2A and their C172.

I wanted to say the same. In the year that has brought/will bring us FTX Global, PMDG's 777, A2A's C172... you cannot really say FSX has no future anymore. Each and every mentioned product extends the life of FSX immensely. And next year we'll have FTX Norway South: what more do you need...??? :rolleyes: ^_^

I am holding out hope that either:

A: X-Plane is sold to a proper developer, or

B: A new FS comes out of the woodwork.

People still use FS9 and enjoy it. Anything can happen..

I personally believe we'll still be hearing about FSX for many years to come, just like we still can see a lot of FS9 users around. As long as we have active payware producers on the market (like PMDG itself, which is about to release their B777), a faithfull base of users and freeware developers, and online servers like IVAO and VATSIM up and running, FSX is safe from becoming history.

Maybe Laminar Research and Lockheed Martin will release better versions for X-Plane and Prepar3D, or even an unexpected developer can come around with something to beat FSX. Even if that day comes, FSX users will probably stick to their tons of add-ons, and most likely keep flying in more than just one simulator.

Long story short, it depends more on the users than on Microsoft itself.

Our change - users of the FSX that we know, will slowly migrate to the DX10 version, as Steve's Fixer is released and gains the acceptance of the more general community, and as it is further developed with additional features. As an insight to this, incidentaly - in the pre-release versions, there is "slow" snow and cockpit and airliner VC shadowing, where none previously existed...

This is the future!!!

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

This actually looked like an interesting thread, until some of you decided to use it as their platform to preach about EULA's

Then tell the P3D folks to quit pushing it as Entertainment software when it clearly is not, nor will P3Dv2 be Entertainment software. The road goes both ways.

except if LM would at some point reconsider the EULA issue

And MS would have to be part of this issue discussion also and clearly they are not going to be.