Sign in to follow this  
calooom

PFPX - First Quick Impressions

1. Yes. There is a discount for previous TOPCAT owners, introducing the key in the coupon option.

2. I think yes.

Thank you for the response!

Please comment about the auto generate option. Is accurate or it generates strange FPs?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5 con Tapatalk 2

Some plans appear to be accurate but others are totally absurd.  FSBuild at the moment seems to generate more accurate flightplans than PFPX.  I would say a 70/30 mix.  70 good 30 bad.

As of now I just go online and look up on Flightaware and copy/paste.  Granted this only helps US flyers but thats all I fly so it works for me.

Eventhough I haven't (yet) generated dozens of flightplans with PFPX (only 6 or 7 by now), but I haven't seen a single "strange" routing yet. Pretty much spot on with the great circle.

Don't know where you get the 70/30...

I wonder if the real dispatch suites reach a 100% perfect routes. I honestly doubt it. If it were the case, no more human dispatchers would be needed. Guess that's the main difference between computers and humans. Humans are much more flexibel in finding solutions to certain problems.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

2. Is it possible to run PFPX and TOPCAT on a second, networked computer, separate from the computer running FSX?

Yes.  You can do this.  It is what I am doing.  I run PFPX on a second WinXP pc and my FSX is on a Win7 pc.  I do all the flightplan performance calcs(w/ Topcat) on the WinXP machine.  I "export" FSX and NGX flight plan files for the Win7/FSX pc.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Eventhough I haven't (yet) generated dozens of flightplans with PFPX (only 6 or 7 by now), but I haven't seen a single "strange" routing yet. Pretty much spot on with the great circle.

Don't know where you get the 70/30...

I wonder if the real dispatch suites reach a 100% perfect routes. I honestly doubt it. If it were the case, no more human dispatchers would be needed. Guess that's the main difference between computers and humans. Humans are much more flexibel in finding solutions to certain problems.

I may be off on my ratio but some samples to check out; be curious if you get similiar routing.  Yes I fly out of KBNA for most of my flights, its my home city.

KBNA - KMEM  There is stored route for this flight but just clear the route and do a Quick Find route.  Great Circle Distance 173  Flight Plan Distance 410.

KBNA - KMSY   There is no stored route for this flight so just do a Quick Find route. Great Circle Distance 411  Flight Plan Distance 582.

I tried the same routes in a much older route finder and came up pretty close to real world routing.  It seems to be a problem with SIDs in the US.  I mentioned it on the aerosoft forum but did not really understand the response from Christian and he never responded to my followup question again.

Its not a big deal as I will usually find a real world route on the web or use the much older route finder to generate a route then insert it into PFPX for processing (sort of funny I think; $60 flight planner and I'm using a 10 year old planner to insert generated flight plans into it). 

Still love the program and use it now but their are some teething pains for route generation though.

Sean

Sean Green

KBNA - KMEM  There is stored route for this flight but just clear the route and do a Quick Find route.  Great Circle Distance 173  Flight Plan Distance 410.

I get a flightplan for 185nm... Seems fair compared to great circle... Using version 1.03 and AIRAC updated to 1309.

ATC ROUTE: N0471F300 DCT BNA WLDER7

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

I really like this program, there are so many options! Sill have to try a flight with it though. I have done some comparisons between the wind optimized routes from PFPX and plugging in some real flightplans from flightaware. In most cases, the 'real' flightplan results in a shorter flight and lower fuel burn. So I guess the most optimized route is still the one created by the actual dispatchers and this should not really be surprising :)

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

I get a flightplan for 185nm... Seems fair compared to great circle... Using version 1.03 and AIRAC updated to 1309.

ATC ROUTE: N0471F300 DCT BNA WLDER7

That is a stored route in the database and is the correct routing.  I'm saying try the quick route generation; you clear the database route and generate a quick route just as a test.  Granted I'd use the database route but just testing the auto route generation in case a database route is not available  (such as Europe where I rarely fly).  Here is what I get with quick route generation:

HGGRD1.TINGS..BWG.WLDER7 

I recieved a reply from Christian on the Aerosoft forum and there are some directs that need to be put into the airway editor to make the routes seem more reasonable so my KBNA - KMSY is much better after using the airway editor.  

Still learning all the details so its looking better the more I play with the routing etc.

Sean Green

Has anybody observed that you cannot go say to flightaware.com, highlight and copy the route and then paste it into PFPX when you want to overwrite the auto generated plan? It must be manually entered. Wonder why copy/paste does not work?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

Updated to version 1.03 this morning and its now saying my license is expired or not valid.

Oh the joys of updating.

Great software for the two days i got to use it ^_^

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Updated to version 1.03 this morning and its now saying my license is expired or not valid.

Oh the joys of updating.

Great software for the two days i got to use it ^_^

I have just got the same not valid error - how did u resolve it - cannot get on support.

May take the plunge and delete then reinstall.

Denis B

I have just got the same not valid error - how did u resolve it - cannot get on support.

May take the plunge and delete then reinstall.

Denis B

Just solved it...

For some reason it was running in the background without showing on the taskbar, when i went to start pfpx again it must have thought it was a second program trying to use the same license.

Just start your task manager CTRL- ALT - DEL and see if it is running.If it is just select end task and start again..

Hope it works for you

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Has anybody observed that you cannot go say to flightaware.com, highlight and copy the route and then paste it into PFPX when you want to overwrite the auto generated plan? It must be manually entered. Wonder why copy/paste does not work?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Strange it worked for me I just copied and pasted and than click rebuild flight plan and it worked, tried another flight plan from ksfo to eham and didn't work the flight looked like a zig zag line. So looks like its a hit and miss thing.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Strange it worked for me I just copied and pasted and than click rebuild flight plan and it worked, tried another flight plan from ksfo to eham and didn't work the flight looked like a zig zag line. So looks like its a hit and miss thing.

Pete, may be I am doing something wrong. Can you assist? Did you use Ctrl/c and then Ctrl/v? Or did you use the mouse and right click copy/paste? Lastly what specific tab/screen on pfpx did you paste the route into? Maybe be I am on the wrong screen. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Eric 

Hello!

I'm starting with PFPX since yesterday ...

I have questions for you!

Whe i create a flight, i need to compute it, to let PFPX calculate the Fuel needed, but then, i need to re-plan it, when i know what are the TOW and LW, that i need to enter in the Takeoff and Landing calculation in the Topcat function. So i need to compute, see the TOW and LW, and come back, enter it in the Takeoff and Landing options and then compute the flight another time. Is this way correct?

Or i need to open TOPCAT program alone? It doesn't work with REX wx.

And another, whe i calculate the Takeoff and Landing performance, in the OFP apperas only the Flaps config and Thrust, but not V1, Vr, V2 etc ... Why?

Hello!

I'm starting with PFPX since yesterday ...

I have questions for you!

Whe i create a flight, i need to compute it, to let PFPX calculate the Fuel needed, but then, i need to re-plan it, when i know what are the TOW and LW, that i need to enter in the Takeoff and Landing calculation in the Topcat function. So i need to compute, see the TOW and LW, and come back, enter it in the Takeoff and Landing options and then compute the flight another time. Is this way correct?

Or i need to open TOPCAT program alone? It doesn't work with REX wx.

And another, whe i calculate the Takeoff and Landing performance, in the OFP apperas only the Flaps config and Thrust, but not V1, Vr, V2 etc ... Why?

Ok, i see the option to snd the data to TOPCAT software and open it to compute TO and LNDG data ... But it is available before to compute the FLight and know what are my weights?

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg