hhhhmmm I wonder if the newer Saitek stuff is better now than most of the reviews that were done a few years ago, or like I said I could have just gotten lucky..... *knocks on wood*

I think it is the same. No changes. I am getting more Saitek back lately with issues than I ever did in the past, so there might be a quality control issue at any particular time, but it could also just be coincidence, or I received a lot of stock from a production run that, for whatever reason, was not assembled as well as others... hard to say!

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

I appreciate the input.

I've owned the Pro flight version for about 18 months, but am looking at the Cessna one due to the greater aileron axis travel.  However, it it had the same issues with the detents and stickiness, I wouldn't bother.

I've been looking at mods tonight; I think I may open it up first and see what kind of damage I can do.  :)

I've considered upgrading to a more expensive yoke, but I always have trouble convincing myself of the price...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I think it is the same. No changes. I am getting more Saitek back lately with issues than I ever did in the past

So are there any specific models or products at fault for these returns?  any stats you can share?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

So are there any specific models or products at fault for these returns?  any stats you can share?

Well, The Saitek ProFlight Yoke and the Throttle Quadrant have been returned the most. Still the percentage is low vs sales, but in the Saitek lines this item is the most problematic on a return vs sale ratio. Mostly the LCD panel ont he front is the cause of many issues with it.

I've had one Saitek Cessna Yoke returned recently with a faulty USB cable, but that is the only one that has come back and I have sold a bunch of those!

Re Saitek pedals... Very good and generally few, if any returns so far. I might have had 1 Saitek ProFlight pedals returned about 2 years ago. Saitek pedals are generally very reliable.

There have been one or two returns on Saitek panel products, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of expected failure or problem rate for any product.

Saitek X52 Pro very good. About 1% return rate. Saitek X65F, about the same. Very reliable.

Saitek Cyborg FLY5 joysticks also quite reliable with few problems reported.

The most common returned items are the ProFlight Yoke and the Throttle Quadrant (although again, the ratio is still within "normal" limits)

Hope that helps!

Dean

Thank you for that great reply.  It contains a good deal of valuable information that is perhaps more informative than the more general indication of greater returns on Saitek products.  Has there been any consistent theme in the return of throttle quadrants?  I have the Pro Flight Cessna Yoke and the DIN plug quadrant that's included with it.  The only issue I have had with my yoke and it's DIN connection quadrant is that the built in hub of the yoke lacks enough punch to power the separate Saitek USB Multi-Panel I have added.  I find I must connect the Multi-Panel either directly to a USB port on my computer or to a separate third party powered USB hub.  I tried the separate Saitek power supply for the yoke but it did not resolve that issue.  

I have considered adding an additional quadrant, which would be USB.  I would be interested to learn if the customers returning throttle quadrants (assumed here to be the USB variety) were attempting to connect them to the USB ports on a Saitek yoke, or connecting them direct to the computer or direct to a separate powered USB hub. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well, The Saitek ProFlight Yoke and the Throttle Quadrant have been returned the most. Still the percentage is low vs sales, but in the Saitek lines this item is the most problematic on a return vs sale ratio. Mostly the LCD panel ont he front is the cause of many issues with it.

I've had one Saitek Cessna Yoke returned recently with a faulty USB cable, but that is the only one that has come back and I have sold a bunch of those!

Re Saitek pedals... Very good and generally few, if any returns so far. I might have had 1 Saitek ProFlight pedals returned about 2 years ago. Saitek pedals are generally very reliable.

There have been one or two returns on Saitek panel products, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of expected failure or problem rate for any product.

Saitek X52 Pro very good. About 1% return rate. Saitek X65F, about the same. Very reliable.

Saitek Cyborg FLY5 joysticks also quite reliable with few problems reported.

The most common returned items are the ProFlight Yoke and the Throttle Quadrant (although again, the ratio is still within "normal" limits)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for taking the time to provide this excellent information from a well established retailer that has taken at least 100 USD of my money in the past :P, oh and thanks for the free mouse pad too! B)

BTW out of say 100 Saitek Pro Flight yokes, how many do you see returned for failures, even a "guesstimate" would be appreciative?

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to provide this excellent information from a well established retailer that has taken at least 100 USD of my money in the past :P, oh and thanks for the free mouse pad too! B)

BTW out of say 100 Saitek Pro Flight yokes, how many do you see returned for failures, even a "guesstimate" would be appreciative?

A guesstimate only... probably no more than 5 tops. So a 5% issue rate tops from the ones we have sold - Not too bad really.

Thank you for that great reply.  It contains a good deal of valuable information that is perhaps more informative than the more general indication of greater returns on Saitek products.  Has there been any consistent theme in the return of throttle quadrants?  I have the Pro Flight Cessna Yoke and the DIN plug quadrant that's included with it.  The only issue I have had with my yoke and it's DIN connection quadrant is that the built in hub of the yoke lacks enough punch to power the separate Saitek USB Multi-Panel I have added.  I find I must connect the Multi-Panel either directly to a USB port on my computer or to a separate third party powered USB hub.  I tried the separate Saitek power supply for the yoke but it did not resolve that issue.  

I have considered adding an additional quadrant, which would be USB.  I would be interested to learn if the customers returning throttle quadrants (assumed here to be the USB variety) were attempting to connect them to the USB ports on a Saitek yoke, or connecting them direct to the computer or direct to a separate powered USB hub. 

There are issues if you try and plug high-power USB devices (or ones with high data throughput) direct into the back of the Saitek Yoke. That is my experience yes and I hear the same from customers as well at times. Its definitely best to go direct to the USB ports on your PC, or to a good quality powered USB hub for Saitek panels and accessories.

Dean

There are issues if you try and plug high-power USB devices (or ones with high data throughput) direct into the back of the Saitek Yoke. That is my experience yes and I hear the same from customers as well at times. Its definitely best to go direct to the USB ports on your PC, or to a good quality powered USB hub for Saitek panels and accessories.

I agree that in this case it is best to follow that direction.  So that begs the question of why the manufacturer even then puts the USB ports onto the back of the yoke.  The same manufacturer markets a variety of add-on panels and switch banks that are all USB connected and that feature set implies they will work together.  So is this (not you) saying that the hub on the yoke is not a good quality one?  There is also a jack to connect an external power supply, which in the case of my yoke does not solve the issue.  When you are providing feedback to this manufacturer re: returns it might be appropriate to bring up this issue.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I agree that in this case it is best to follow that direction.  So that begs the question of why the manufacturer even then puts the USB ports onto the back of the yoke.  The same manufacturer markets a variety of add-on panels and switch banks that are all USB connected and that feature set implies they will work together.  So is this (not you) saying that the hub on the yoke is not a good quality one?  There is also a jack to connect an external power supply, which in the case of my yoke does not solve the issue.  When you are providing feedback to this manufacturer re: returns it might be appropriate to bring up this issue.

I think its more to do with the limitations of USB itself. You get the exact same issues if you use unpowered hubs. There is a power limit of course with USB hubs, and hence its best to use self-powered ones to overcome this limitation. There may be data throughput issues as well, but I am not that clued into that side of things with USB. I am surprised the external power connector did not help in your case however. When you had that connected to the yoke, where was the USB cable from the yoke plugged into? Direct to the PC USB ports (preferably the ones attached to the back of the case which are directly motherboard-mounted) or did you have the Saitek Yoke running through another external Hub port?

Dean

I am surprised the external power connector did not help in your case however. When you had that connected to the yoke, where was the USB cable from the yoke plugged into? Direct to the PC USB ports (preferably the ones attached to the back of the case which are directly motherboard-mounted) or did you have the Saitek Yoke running through another external Hub port?

I always connect direct to USB ports on the computer.  To reiterate, when I used the Saitek specific external power supply(s) connected to the yoke (two separately sourced Saitek power supplies) the best indication of power to the Saitek Multi-panel was less effective power (panel LED's significantly dimmer and resulting terminal fall-out to failure) than with no external power supply connected.  Several months ago I had private exchange with another member with seemingly identical experience.  I now connect the Multi-Panel direct to the computer and in doing that have no issues at all.  There does however seem to be an issue with the USB hub built into the Saitek Cessna Pro Cessna Yoke.  If one has adequate other USB ports to compensate for this then there should be no residual issue.  

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I always connect direct to USB ports on the computer.  To reiterate, when I used the Saitek specific external power supply(s) connected to the yoke (two separately sourced Saitek power supplies) the best indication of power to the Saitek Multi-panel was less effective power (panel LED's significantly dimmer and resulting terminal fall-out to failure) than with no external power supply connected.  Several months ago I had private exchange with another member with seemingly identical experience.  I now connect the Multi-Panel direct to the computer and in doing that have no issues at all.  There does however seem to be an issue with the USB hub built into the Saitek Cessna Pro Cessna Yoke.  If one has adequate other USB ports to compensate for this then there should be no residual issue.  

Very interesting! I always do recommend customers use motherboard mounted USB ports wherever possible, but moral of the story, try not to use the Saitek USB ports on the yoke if possible :)

Dean

Perfectly happy with my Pro Flight yoke. It may not be the Rolls Royce of yokes, but it certainly gets the job done and at a great price. I know the Cessna yoke has a greater range of travel in the roll axis, but what about pitch? It's usually the pitch axis that is the most over-sensitive with flight sims so having a greater range of travel there would help.

As for pedals, still using my CH Pro Pedals that must be over 10 years old now. Had to open them up once and solder a frayed cable (toe brake stuck fully on) but other than that, no issues.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Perfectly happy with my Pro Flight yoke. It may not be the Rolls Royce of yokes, but it certainly gets the job done and at a great price. I know the Cessna yoke has a greater range of travel in the roll axis, but what about pitch? It's usually the pitch axis that is the most over-sensitive with flight sims so having a greater range of travel there would help.

As for pedals, still using my CH Pro Pedals that must be over 10 years old now. Had to open them up once and solder a frayed cable (toe brake stuck fully on) but other than that, no issues.

10 years for CH Pro Pedals. Sounds remarkable but I've had similar stories from customers on the lifespan of their CH products. Can't complain about that! :)

Dean

A late comment that might be of interest to those finding this thread helpful.

I have been running 12 FIP's, 2 Radio panels, 1 BIP, 1 Multipanel, 1 AP Panel, 1 TPM, 2 Throttle Quads, Yoke & Pedals, all from the Saitek Pro Line, and 1 Cessna Trim Wheel for a few years.  I have never had to replace a single item. (I am, FYI, more of a casual FSX flier 6-10 hours per week) so my results may not be relevant to those who are using theirs multiple hours every day.)  I do use the licensed version of FSUIP4 and SPAD.

I tried running some devices from the Yoke's Hub, powered and not, but found erratic behavior from most everything I connected to it.

My solution was to hook the yoke & footpedals straight to the MB/CPU, the FIP's to 2 Belkin v2.0 7 port powered Hubs that connect direct to the MB and the other devices to another Belkin v2.0 powered Hub connected to the MB.  I also found that connecting any of these to a USB v3.0 port caused erratic behavior.  My CPU does have 4 v2.0 and 2 v3.0 USB ports on the front of the case which makes this easier.

All of these Hubs are connected to a Power Strip that I turn on prior to loading FSX.  I first plug in the Yoke & footpedal's USB cable to the CPU then the Hub cable with the non FIP devices.  Start FSX and wait for the HD light to stop then plug in the other 2 Hub USB cables to the MB.

By following this sequence the non FIP devices will be found by SPAD, which won't find them after FSX is loaded, and the FIP's will come up in the correct order I want.

More info available at http://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/ on how to set up the FIP's and some great gauge mods that Saitek should have done themselves.  Also, there is tons of useful FSX information along with tweaks laid out in basic terms.

Hope this is of benefit.

Rick S.

I have been running Saitek pro flight yoke/pedals and 2 quadrants for a few years now.

I got the yoke when it was first released, and there were all sorts of problems with it.  I received a replacement direct from Saitek and it has been fine since.

The big problem most people seem to have is with the throttle quadrants.  The leavers don't line up properly (if you put the 6 leavers on the 2 quadrants to the same position, they will all give slightly different - majorly different on one of my axis - outputs).  This can be fine tuned out with FSUIPC, but real aircraft throttles don't always line up giving the same power (or at least of the older generation, I know Airbus is different).

This is not eh big problem.  The big problem is potentiometer spiking after a while.  I have had to replace 3 quadrants (a couple FOC from Saitek), and when the next one goes, I may invest in a GoFlight quadrant instead, although this is a lot more expensive.

The moment your throttles start spiking, they become very annoying to use.  It seams that hardware manufacturers always skimp on the most vital bits.  The difference between the cost of a good quality pot and the ones fitted can't be more than a few dollars.

beta.gif