Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjjallen

SkyPilot Observations With FSX DX10 Mode

4 posts in this topic

Using the FSXAssist settings in the capture below and after applying all the DX10 patches in the DX10 AVSIM thread we have found the following observations when using FSX DX10 mode:

Note: our systems are all IB running at 4.6ghz with HT enabled.

Things We Like

1) Higher (20-40+) FPS.  This is mostly noticeable in outside view and or with cloud coverage.

2) Less crashes during a task switch.  Maybe related but joystick dropouts seem less prevalent also.  Note that build 1.08 should help prevent these anyway.  Also task switching seems faster.

3) Water textures (using Bojote's and REX water texture fixes with those in the AVSIM DX10 thread) are more realistic especially for coloring and wave animation.

4) While we agree that this is subjective the ground textures seem cleaner and resolve quicker.

5) FSX restarts are less likely to show the Stop Sign and Smart Assembly messages.

Things We Don't Like

1) Flight saving seems a bit slower

2) Slightly less AA on some aircraft surfaces and cockpit texture.  This could be due to the wrong nVidia Inspector settings.

3) There is a slight delay when switching from outside to cockpit view.

fsassist002.png

At any rate give FSX DX10 mode a try and let us know your results.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have made these changes, and even with my low end system I have seen an improvement. Minor improvement in FPS (steady in the 20-35 range) but my overall performance seems to be better, particularly as it relates to graphics. It seems that my GPU is getting more of the load faster which gives me a much clearer flight and smoothness. Thanks, Jim.

Glad to hear that FSXAssist is working well for you Bob and thanks!

Did you decide to use FX10 mode also?

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Yes, I have been using DX10, but even with that, this change in using FSXAssist seems to give me a "clearer" display of scenery and gauges than I had before using DX10. It also slightly boosted my FPS by about 5-8 FPS. Thanks.