Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

TopCat + PFPX + 737NGX / Weights (How To)

Benjamin,

1) TopCat .acft and the configuration .txt files. Is it that the .acft calcualtes the v speed and the .txt handles the derate and fuel burn?

Pretty much...  I think the .acrft files ('types' in the GUI), are hardcoded performance v-speed related.  It's these files that we wait for to be updated or newly released from Christian.  They are the files that accurately model an aircraft.  My text files on the first page are basically all the weight values and so forth that directly affect derates and so on.  These files are created and changed when you create a new aircraft (based on a 'Type') in the TopCat GUI

2) When I make a new plane profile in TopCat:

- Should I use the B737-800" For type selection with the PMDG 737-800 configuration?

- Are the engines correct model CFM56-7B23 or is there something I need to change there also?

- Yes, Use the B738 'Type' for selecting both the 737-800 and -900's.  Maybe someday we'll get a real B739 aircraft 'Type' from Christian to make it more accurate.

- I'm not exactly sure if the CFM56's are the 'most' accurate engine for any particular model, but it seems to be the only engine available in the drop-down, so there's not much choice.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

The biggest headache using TopCat and PFPX (prior to launching FS) is determining if the desired 737NGX variant is a single-class or mixed-class configuration. I personally like realistic livery.ini configs and keep them as originally created. To determine the respective livery.ini file before firing up FS, I use a free program (from the AVSIM library, I think) called AIRCRAFTER. I load it up and drill down to my desired PMDG 737 variant I wish to use for the flight. I then have AIRCRAFTER open the texture folder for the chosen livery and I inspect the livery.ini file. Near the bottom of the livery.ini file, there is a line similar to 'singleconfiguration=1', which defines a single-class variant, or if set to zero, indicates a mixed-class variant. This is irrespective of the fact that you could simply change the class (single or mixed) once you load up the livery in a FS session, and change it in the FMC Aircraft options to match your PFPX and TopCat weight calculations (number of seats).

BTW, the above paragraph from my OP has been superseded by the new PMDG OPS Center, which functions for the NGX as well.  You can not only view the current Cabin Class layout (one or two classes) directly in the OPS center, but you can change and save it to the livery.ini here as well, before firing up FS.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Where do I get the PMDG Op Center?  I have the 737NGX but not the T7.  I can not find it anywhere.

Lynn

Where do I get the PMDG Op Center? I have the 737NGX but not the T7. I can not find it anywhere.

For the moment, it only comes with the T7 as part of the install.  They'll make it separately available for the other products as soon as they can.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Thanks for this info!  I just purchased PFPX and was looking for info on weights and such and ran across a reference to this post.  Just what I needed.  I'm not using Topcat (using the spreadsheet that's floating around here instead), but it sounds like I can take all those values to at least get PFPX working accurately.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Am I reading the first page right?  The -900 has less cargo capacity than the 800?  11,100 pounds vs. 16,400?  I realized I've been running around with the default 14,400 (or I got that from somewhere) and it lets me put that in the -900 but obviously I need to change that then.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

the -900 weights are the same as the -800s except for the DOW and cargo, is that correct? also, PFPX has 2 templates for -900. one says template name "PMDG 737-900W NGX Winglets" and type "Boeing 737-900ERW". the other says name "PMDG 737-900W NGX Winglets" type "Boeing 737-800ERW". witch do I use?

Use the 900W. PMDG did not release an ER variant.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Use the 900W. PMDG did not release an ER variant.

Ok here's what I'm looking at, they both sat 900W.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this information. I have had TOPCAT for about year and enjoy using it. I finaly got round to getting PFPX the other day and this info that is posted here is the first thing I did a search for. I was really pleased to find it here. I set it all up today and did a few tests and it works really well.

Hi,

Really nice work thanks a lot.

Have a good day.

Search for b737ng dispatch sheet on avsim. Its an excel file thats going to do all the performance calculations you need. It will work for 6,7,8, and 900s in any available configuration. It will calculate everything from fuel consumption to weights to vspeed to center of gravity to derates and a lot more.

Cheers

Lasse