Sign in to follow this  
RudiJG1

A2A Cessna 172 now available

Early in my 172R flying days (of which there were never enough), I found myself flying one day before I'd rotated. It just drifted airborne. I was talking later to an instructor about it and he suggested a little more nose down trim than T/O would fix that to force me to make a more positive rotation movement. And as Jeroen points out, that then minimised the amount of nose down trim needed once I got up a going. Being a bit out of trim shouldn't stop you flying - it just affects how much effort you have to put into pulling back (or pushing forward, as the case may be).

I've been trying to resist buying, but I think I will fail this weekend...

Mike

I have the same experience.  I good dose of nose down trim works well for me in pretty much every configuration/weight.  I generally put it about a thumbmail above the TO reference marker in the real plane.

Ah, good to hear I am not the only one doing this. Not being a real pilot you sometimes don't know if something you do is clever or stupid... ;)

Thanks guys for your real life input on trimming. Think I understand more about it now and that it is okay to trim a little to counter the nose up behavior so I don't have to fight the plane.

Well guys....... I've literally never been away from the A2A forum for the last two days, and here's my observation;

We are seeing a cycle between the taking on board of the definitive bugs that some are seeing, and some great work to fix them (eg.... the clickspots, Scott and Lewis), followed by some complete denial of other issues. For example comments that some issues "apply to all aircraft in FSX" where that is definitely not the case...... and incorrect apportionment of blame on the 'stuck brakes' issue as a problem linked to Hardware (Michael at A2A is adamant this is a hardwre issue, despite me running some tests at the request of Lewis A2A and clearly reporting back that the exact issue occurs with no hardware toe brakes assigned, or even plugged in.

On that note, Lewis A2A:   You asked me yesterday to undertake those tests with the brakes and the hardware unplugged;  I did so and reported back a lengthy report on the A2A forum, which you've yet to acknowledge...... I will happily do any tests or give any help I can offer, as I ultimately love this product and want to see it in the right shape ......... but it's frustrating to spend time doing a test at the request of a developer, to then not have my results acknowledged or apparantly seen....  

If the results had been seen - Michael would not be posting tonight suggesting that the 'stuck brakes' problem is likely down to calibration and null zone settings for hardware.      I will say again, the brakes stick, and one cannot pull away from non-paved areas without using full power;   even when no hardware is assigned to brakes, nor even plugged in.

Elevator:   As J van E said earlier, I too am having to not set the trim to the "T/O" marker, in order to get a realistic climb experience. This isn't right.   I have flown 172SP models (albeit not the 'R') and these planes are basic trainers, they do not pitch up on take-off and threaten an immediate and aggresive bleeding of speed and stall     - they just don't!

Have you guys read and considered Alexander Metzger's comments about the A2A 172, and the CoG factors? ..... Alex is a legend in the FDE world to the same level that Rob Young is, so the opportunity to get his input should be taken.

Today, I find myself obviously very happy that the Clickspot problem has been resolved, but frustrated in equal measure at some (not unanimous) of the denial, and incorrect diagnoses going on on the A2A forum.         The T/O and landing regimes in the FDE just are not right yet ........  and the 'brakes stuck on' is a major issue (on a par with the clickspots) that cannot be played down or blamed on hardware    - especially where tests have shown it to occur where no hardware is used.

The Chip (r/w 1962) also required/s "two divisions of nose-down trim", picking up the tail at somewhere between 30 and 35 and lifting off cleanly at around 45, I think. The 2 divs. are "because, once airborne, as the aircraft accelerates, it will increase it's lift quite quickly, therefore put it in before you begin the run, and you won't get a surprise" - words to that effect. Normal climb is 70(kts).

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

On that note, Lewis A2A: You asked me yesterday to undertake those tests with the brakes and the hardware unplugged; I did so and reported back a lengthy report on the A2A forum, which you've yet to acknowledge...... I will happily do any tests or give any help I can offer, as I ultimately love this product and want to see it in the right shape ......... but it's frustrating to spend time doing a test at the request of a developer, to then not have my results acknowledged or apparantly seen....

Actually Lewis did just acknowledge your findings in the thread on the A2A forum. With everyone expecting an immediate reply to forum posts, it's amazing that the A2A team has had time to fix any bugs.

Re: Taxi Friction.. (Brakes for me)

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35818#p270799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

vpa020.png

Pitch + Power = Performance

Actually Lewis did just acknowledge your findings in the thread on the A2A forum. With everyone expecting an immediate reply to forum posts, it's amazing that the A2A team has had time to fix any bugs.

Re: Taxi Friction.. (Brakes for me)

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35818#p270799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Over 24 hours later is immediate to you?   :wink:

Actually, I couldn't give a monkeys if my post gets ignored on their forum, or on any forum.... the point you've missed (while being more keen on having a cheap swipe), is that if the guys had read the findings I reported, after having been specifically asked to test them, it would have informed the guys that the problem is not hardware related at all ............. because it occurs where no hardware is even plugged in.

Sooo... ten minutes ago, Orbx PNW - Goheen, on grass, parking brakes on, 1100 rpm: bring up to 12, brakes off, and she rolled away as smoothly as silk.

My whine is still the float, and that might be because I'm solo, plus the stupid door.

I love it Scott, Lewis. Fantastic job.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

First, I have not flown this airplane...hence my questions in another thread.  However, I can say in the airplane that I fly, if you set the trim to the T/O mark it flies all by itself on takeoff and requires considerable forward pressure on the yoke to keep the nose down.

I'm flying this weekend....I'll try and get a video.

However, I can say in the airplane that I fly, if you set the trim to the T/O mark it flies all by itself on takeoff and requires considerable forward pressure on the yoke to keep the nose down.

Just like the A2A one, thanks for sharing your expirience, seems like they got it right B)

Over 24 hours later is immediate to you?   :wink:

Actually, I couldn't give a monkeys if my post gets ignored on their forum, or on any forum.... the point you've missed (while being more keen on having a cheap swipe), is that if the guys had read the findings I reported, after having been specifically asked to test them, it would have informed the guys that the problem is not hardware related at all ............. because it occurs where no hardware is even plugged in.

You're right, I apologize for the jab.

I just have to be a contrarian and disagree for disagreements sake hence my previous post.

But I wonder if you wouldn't mind trying something with your Saitek pedals. I too was experiencing issues with sticking brakes and followed Mike's post about null zones and sensitivity level. I set them as per his screen shot. I then proceeded to hit Calibrate, select my rudder pedals, hit properties, hit the settings tab, hit Calibrate, and proceed through the Windows Calibration wizard. After going through that, my sticky brakes are gone.

vpa020.png

Pitch + Power = Performance

My 200hrs or so of 172 time was mostly split between 180hp N models and S models.  The Skyhawk is a forgiving airplane but it needs to be flown by the numbers and with reasonable precision...even more so in the S.  The 172 will make a good pilot out of you if you can learn to fly by the numbers and trim properly.   

I do remember the S having more 'pep' in the controls than the N...lighter touch was required.  Fingertip flying is highly recommended in the 172...ie finger tips on the yoke will give better results then having a death grip on the yoke.    Set your pitch attitude, then trim out the pressure.  Also remember, a very light 172 in cool sea level air will behave quite differently then a fully loaded 172 at 5000' on a summer day.  Kind of like watching an empty 747 take off vs a fully loaded 747.

Cheers

TJ

I've been into this simming thing now for just a few months. Bought the incredable PMDG 737,but being a rookie , have only scratched the surface  with that aircraft. Just bought the A2A  172 today, read most of the manual, looks like this will be perfect for us rookies. I'll at least have a chance to land this one in one piece. Can't wait, this is like Christmas time , lol

We are seeing a cycle between the taking on board of the definitive bugs that some are seeing, and some great work to fix them (eg.... the clickspots, Scott and Lewis), followed by some complete denial of other issues. For example comments that some issues "apply to all aircraft in FSX" where that is definitely not the case...... and incorrect apportionment of blame on the 'stuck brakes' issue as a problem linked to Hardware (Michael at A2A is adamant this is a hardwre issue, despite me running some tests at the request of Lewis A2A and clearly reporting back that the exact issue occurs with no hardware toe brakes assigned, or even plugged in.

Dave, I am very much aware of your issue and that it happpens even if you unplug your hardware rudder. That's why I wrote in a thread that you also were participating, that:

While this may not fix the issue for all of you (we're still investigating), this is worth checking:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=270665#p270665

You have the right to be mad at the issue, but please do not debase the solution posted on our forum by writing that it's incorrect. At least several people confirmed that it fixed the issue for them. Before I posted that thread I verified it myself in default Cessna 172 (no Accusim), and with default FSX calibration settings for toe brakes, I got completely incorrect brake values.

In this case we simply have at least two problems that cause the same issue. So far we have identified one contributing factor. If the solution doesn't work for you - please have some patience, we are still investigating other causes.

As a sidenote here: every post written on the forums is read and noted, and issues are investigated or marked to be fixed on bugtracker. But please don't expect an immediate acknowledge from A2A team for every issue report or rant, especially if we don't know the answer right away. Or we are asleep at the time of your posts.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations