Sign in to follow this  
RudiJG1

A2A Cessna 172 now available

I don't own any A2A products (yet), but I've been closely following the action with the 172. I must say that I'm quite impressed with the customer service from A2A. They are a very responsive developer. Not defensive like Orbx and some others.

Saying that the C172 wasn't properly tested is a bit unfair, considering that the vast majority of people (including me) don't experience the problems you are reporting. The clickspots work perfectly fine for me 100% of the time. If the testers didn't experience these problems either, because the particular causes responsible for these bugs didn't align for them, they couldn't report them now, could they?

Just give them time to work it out and fix it, but throwing accusations around in frustated rage doesn't help anybody. Trust me, I know, because I was on the receiving end of the cockpit&control-freeze-on-touchdown-bug of the 737NGX two years ago, which was very frustrating. But eventually PMDG (who provide similarly excellent support as A2A) found the culprit, fixed it and I was happy.

In software there are always problems bound to pop up when a product moves from a 20-30 people testing base (if that) to the customer group of thousands of different people with thousands of different setups. It's absolutely inevitable. With A2A, however, you can be sure that these things will be addressed.

I know I am stating the very obvious, but for those of us suffering the showstopper failure of VC clickspots, there is a "Input Configurator" EXE supplied with the C172.

It is stored at :-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\Cessna172\Tools\C172 Input Configurator

......and with it, you can program keyboard assignments for all functions in the 172's VC (except the GPS :()..... (therefore not having to use any VC clickspots).

I'm not suggesting it's a good alternative for everyone, but it will allow you to use the aircraft and be able to operate it ...... however it won't help with operation of the GPS, and that's the part that is killing the show for me.....   when I need to use the GPS in flight and have no way of accessing or using it at all, due to the loss of the clickspots.

Igloo_Lain said:

------------------------------------

"Even once it's fixed, I have. Major concerns for the way this aircraft flies. I have hrs on the real aircraft, I found flying it easy like it should be, the controls slightly slow, the roll and pich lazy. But I nearly looped this oe when taking off, 1pass full fuel, slight back pressure and nose was 20 deg up! At slowspeed, the aircraft is very nervous and twitchy, especially in pitch."

-----------------------------------------

As in real flying (especially lightly-wing-loaded trainers), you'll learn the airplane's "needs". Like, matching the elevator trim to the load. Being that FSX models trim incorrectly, it's not cut-n-dry, but with proper trim (per the load), this C172 will lift of like a cooperative feather, and (like a real C172), climb trim is much different than takeoff trim.. you gotta jump right on the trim-wheel, and get to hands-off Vy...

Also, as noted.. a model might need hardware-realted tweaking (my yoke is very elevator sensitive), via control_surface effectiveness (aircraft.cfg)

Aside from using the the elevator for drag after landing.. or exectuting a soft-field takeoff, or certain maneuvers, real C172 flying consists very little elevator deflection.

Igloo_Lain said:

-------------------------------------

For fun, I flew at 70 kts, hard turn, 360 deg, stall horn sounding, completed turn in under 10 seconds, then inverted at 70kts, 200 ft, stall, pulled out at 100 ft. It flies like an overpowered rc plane?

----------------------------------------

Once you get much outside a normal envelope (steep turns at an airspeed that promises an accelerated stall), FSX's flight-model falls to pieces.. not much A2A (or anyone) can do about it...

Igloo_Lain said:

------------------------------------

Landing was no much fun, trim FULL forward and the nose still want to stay high as it rolls to a stop.

-------------------------------------

Trim full forward ? Or elevator full forward ? If you manage the approach speeds realistically, and re-trim for flap deployment(s), it will settle nicely into a roundout and modest flare... get even a little sloppy or aggressive, and it will float (realistically) like a hot air balloon.. lol .. and do any number of odd things if you "force" it to land..

The overhead lights come on when you turn the master switch on. That may be what gives the cockpit a "washed out" look. Took me a bit of searching to find how to turn them off. There's actually a button in the roof next to the light.

This is not what I'm talking about. You'll notice when your cockpit fogs up hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello guys and girls and funky people,

I see Scott has posted update for you on the clickspot issue some are experiencing so thought I'd post an update on the feedback on flight model and what not that ive just posted over at our forums;

"Big thanks for the feedback so far, we are taking it all on board and slowly making our way through it all. During development we quickly realized that when two
172R pilots get together they can often have different views about flying and how the same aircraft acts making for great debate. Couple this with the added flight sim complications of different user systems, hardware etc all also being taken into account and it can get confusing very quickly. We are doing our best to make sense of everything you guys have posted and then also tie it in with our own experiences piloting the aircraft (going over all the video footage we have taken etc).

We are also getting a few more flight tests done. Scott will be up in the 172R again today at the controls and with his GoPro camera for some test flights, to check into a few of the issues that have already been posted.

many thanks for the feedback, please do keep the debate alive and keep the feedback flowing."

many thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Lewis - A2A Simulations

It's only needed if you have other planes (warbirds) from A2A. You don't need the core if you only have the C172.

If you don't like using that menu and want to do it in the VC (if you can click, that is.......): you can take care of the defroster with a few little knobs at the bottom of the windshield. See page 88 en 89 in the manual.

I didn't have any clickspots problems yesterday but I didn't really use the radio's. But all the lights and switches seemed to work fine. I will see what happens this evening when I will do my first complete flight. (Well, whatever a 'complete' flight is: I am used to fly from one airport to another but somehow this plane seems really suited for taking off and landing on the same airport, just flying around in the neighborhood.)

I have the cub so I ran it.

As for types of flights the 172 is suited to... Patterns are fun if you're at a pretty airport. For x-country, I find I can tolerate about an hour to an hour and a half in any plane in the sim. When planning I take the cruise speed and divide by two. I aim for a destination within about that radius. Allowing for startup, take off, approach and landing to parking and shutdown, the whole flight fits in an hour (give or take). I guess my 172 flights are 60 to 70 mile flights. Since the PMDG JS41 flies higher and I'll do a STAR at the destination I add a half hour.

C.

Press on button with mouse see it move in vc and roll the mouse wheel to dail in for the use of adf, vor dails it worked for me. c-172 still trying to check on oil level still hehe. Its little different than carendo or fsx cessna.

Tried it last night, one short flight. It is amazing, it truly feels like a real Cessna. I seleceted USED plane from the start, and I hoped for a bit of struggle when starting the engine, but I started it without to much huss, third time the luck. :)

Engine sounds are good, but can be a bit better, and that brings me to a one and only negative impression - you can't edit/upgrade or alter engine sounds at all! :( I have amazing sound set for Cessna recorded with a professional equipment, and I can't use it in A2A C172, big shame.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Don't own any A2A products yet (except Accu-Feel, which is excellent).  Based upon the reviews and opinions expressed here, think I will just pass on this one and wait for the PA28 which I understand is in development for their next release.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I just wish I had not bought the 172. INOP on release is just not on and from them of all people.

I feel bad for you, and I hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction soon.

I don't mean to rub it in to anyone who is having issues, as any issues can be frustrating - especially showstoppers - but I do think it's important to share with anyone who has yet to purchase that not everyone is experiencing serious issues.  My own experiences have been very positive thus far; indeed this is up there with the very best planes that I've ever bought, and from the topics on the A2A forum regarding future work on increased systems depth and flight model, I'm sure it will only improve upon what's already a sublime (for me) add-on.

It happens consistently with any release of any product, those who have the loudest voices are those who are passionately upset (and often with justification); often the people who are perfectly content (and I suspect in this case they out-weigh the former) remain silent since they have no reason to complain.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Interface with dails little different figure it out this morning. I am good to go, its using your mouse wheel in the vc cockpit is key.

That is a very good point Jim.

I would just add though that, with a strange issue like this one (all VC clickspots disappearing) prospective buyers have something of a Russian Roulette proposition, as to whether they'll get an experience like yours (with no real issues), or a one like mine (a showstopper of a bug).

In other cases (such as Carenado releases) it's a case of "oh the fuel flow meter is not working mind guys", and thus people have a clear choice as to whether that is important to them, and whether they want to buy the aircraft with the full knowledge of the reported bug(s), or whether they won't.

Until this major issue is resolved all future buyers have a XX% risk of buying a beautiful add-on, but one that by it's own feature set, requires a lot of mouse clicks, and may not have any mouse clicks working.

For that reason, as much as I can see this will be a beautiful product, I personally wouldn't recommend people to be buying it      - yet.

In fact, although I am genuinely not one of the alarmist generation, and I hold A2A in the highest esteem of developers, I personally think that for this type of show stopping bug, the aircraft should be withdrawn from sale until it is resolved.

Well I was very entuisiastic about this plane when I first got it. But now this ground friction issue is starting to get irritating. I love dirt/grass strips but with this plane all my grass strips is unuseable because I get stuck and can't get it to roll even with full power.

And they(A2A) blame Orbx for adding to much friction on these strips, but why is it that only the 172 gets affected by this?

E.g the A2A cub has no problems with rolling on these strips....

Dave, that is a reasonable position to take.  I do concede that there may be a risk of the same scenario happening to any potential purchaser.  It may be a small percentage of users affected, but that does not diminish the importance of the issue in anyway.

I guess there is some measure comfort to be had in that it is an issue that A2A is aware of and actively investigating, so if the 'Russian Roulette' scenario happens to not be in your favour, there's hope that it may be soon resolved.

I do hope that A2A is able to quickly get these things out of the way and restore confidence to those wavering - everyone deserves a plane of this calibre!!

And they(A2A) blame Orbx for adding to much friction on these strips, but why is it that only the 172 gets affected by this?

It's not really 'blame' that they are assigning.  Orbx uses a different technique for their runways is all.  The friction issue is present while off any runway, apron or taxi-way everywhere else as well from what I understand.  The reason it's only affecting the 172 is that A2A has tried to implement a custom feature to address friction for this release.  So it's the 172's problem, but it's more noticeable at Orbx strips.

A good (temporary) fix perhaps would be to add an option for users to select via the config panel whether to use A2A's custom friction, or default FSX friction until they get it sorted.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.