Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Auto-Brakes Will not Release After Landing in the MD-11

Hi all,

I've posted this problem a while back. Last night, my brother and I did a flight and he was flying the PMDG MD-11. After touch down, or landing, he said the Auto-Brakes would not release as he was rolling down the runway. I've had the exact same problem the last time I flew the PMDG MD-11. The autobrakes are usually set to Minimum before landing. What happens is that after touchdown and stowing the thrust reversers, the airplane continues to slow down and comes to a complete stop. When the autobrakes are switched to the off position, it will not release. Also, the workd "BRAKES" is shown at the bottom left of the screen, measing that the brakes are applied whent they're not. Has anyone found what is causing this because this is a big issue with the PMDG MD-11 and other simmers have also had the same problem.

Ken.  

Check your controllers. I found my pedals can interfere with the auto-brake (when RELEASED!) until I press them once. After this I can e.g. apply the parking brake after loading.

Best regards,

Robin.

I had the very same issue when I first began using the MD11.  I DO NOT have any control device but use mouse and keyboard.  My procedure has always been to pause the simulation after I stow the reversers but with the aircraft still decelerating with autobraking.  I then replay and critique my final approach and landing.  I have never turned the A/B off on the panel, instead I have tapped the brakes to disconnect them and continued with manual braking until I exit.  Turning off the A/B knob is part of my cleanup procedure after I am sufficiently clear of the active runway.  However, with the MD11, when I unpaused the simulation after the replay to continue my runway roll I ended up not being able to disconnect the A/B by tapping or by turning the A/B knob to OFF.  Nothing worked and like your experience, the plane continued braking to a hard stop with the "brakes" light remaining on.

Now my solution to my experience with this problem was to simply deactivate the A/B by tapping the manual brakes to disconnect them before I paused for replay.   This solved the problem for me.

Don't know if this helps.  

Check your controllers. I found my pedals can interfere with the auto-brake (when RELEASED!) until I press them once. After this I can e.g. apply the parking brake after loading.

Best regards,

Robin.

The problem could be in the controller but I'm not sure if that's going to be the case. If the problem is with the controller, I should be having the same auto-brakes issue with all my other add-ons. It only does it on the PMDG MD-11. I've tried pressing the brakes using that function on my joystick but they still will not release. I don't have rudder pedals or sparate controllers. I have the Microsoft Force Feedback 2. Of course, it's not compatible with Windows 7 but the one my brother uses is compatible and he has the same issues with the auto-brakes. So, compatibility is not the problem. I like flying the PMDG MD-11 but because of this issue, I don't fly it hardly anymore. Does anyone at PMDG know why the auto-brake fails to release after landing?

Ken.

Are you configuring through FSUIPC? I'm *NOT* and don't have issues.

I have a problem with the NGX whereby it will NOT see my *BUTTON* on my stick, but will see the keyboard '.' for releasing autobrakes. I do NOT use FSUIPC for anything. Maybe this is what you are seeing as well? Unfortunately I know of no solution.

Best regards,

Robin.

Are you configuring through FSUIPC? I'm *NOT* and don't have issues.

I have a problem with the NGX whereby it will NOT see my *BUTTON* on my stick, but will see the keyboard '.' for releasing autobrakes. I do NOT use FSUIPC for anything. Maybe this is what you are seeing as well? Unfortunately I know of no solution.

Best regards,

Robin.

No, I'm not configured using the FSUIPC. By the way, the issue we're having with the auto-brake is with FS9, not FSX. The problem does not occur every time but it does it on ocassions. We flew it again the other night and the auto-brake did not give any problems. I don't know if my brother turned off the auto-brake using the auto-brake nob. But since you've mentioned that in the previous post, I told my brother that instead of using the nob, tap the botton on the joystick instead. I did that and it worked okay that time. But it seems that I recall ocassions where I tapped the botton and I still had the problem. So, I'll have to do it several times to find out if that works every time. I have the registered version of the FSUIPC in FS9 but I don't use any of the fuctions through it either. I had it set up through the FSUIPC but I noticed that when I checked the controls during the pre-flight such as the ailerons and the elevators, the indicatons on the IACAS were not smooth at all. It would be jumpy as if it had a slow frame rate. So I disabled it.

Ken.

Well, I've experienced this on several rare occasions in my MD11 (200+ hrs) and I'm very sad to see the same issue in the 777 - it goes as follows:

1) Autobrakes kick in on touchdown,

2) Reversers deployed,

3) Upon roll out and deceleration manual trials to deactivate the autobrakes are ineffective (either keyboard, Saitek Yoke, Saitek Aviator, Saitek Rudder, in different combos),

4) I deactivate the autobrakes using the parking brakes,

5) Brakes stop working. Pressing the dot key or FSUIPC-assigned joy keys give zero response. Red FSX info bar doesn't appear.

6) I'm left only with the parking brakes for taxiing.

3 landings so far in the T7 and this happened every single time. I noticed this occurs more frequently after I've assigned all my buttons and axes via FSUIPC, but this is the only reasonable solution for a Win8 user. I deleted the brakes assignment altogether from FSUIPC - no luck. Going to delete FSUIPC.ini now.

PS. What's interesting, is that glitches occur also on takeoff: red FS info bar (BRAKES) appears on lift-off and can only be deleted by cycling the parking brakes (T7, never MD).

EDIT: Deleting the .ini seems to help. So much workload in this hobby... :rolleyes:

I have found the culprit of PMDG brake issues in my FSUIPC.ini:

[JoystickCalibration]
LeftBrake=-16380,16380/16
RightBrake=-16380,16380/16

I am also having trouble with auto brakes after landing on my PMDG MD11. As soon as I land then the auto brakes start slowing the plane down and then it just stops in the middle of the runway and I cannot release the brakes no matter what I do. HOW CAN I FIX THIS??? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP. It is very annoying.

Thanks in advance...

Delete FSUIPC.ini - seems to work for everyone else who has this problem.

Completely O/T: my 211 post.

Best regards,

Robin.

Okay... Where do I find FSUIPC.ini? I'm using FS2004 and ActiveSky as well as some Aerosoft, ImagineSim and FlyTampa sceneries. Will this make weather updates worse? Will deleting FSUIPC.ini have any impact on other addons etc... ?

Hi,

Will deleting FSUIPC.ini have any impact on other addons etc... ?

No. If you use it for assigning axis, you may need to reset them.

You can find it in FS9\Modules folder.

Best regards,

Robin.

Microsoft Force Feedback 2. Of course, it's not compatible with Windows 7 b

I use mine in Windows 7 64-bit with FSX no problem. I just disconnect the Force Feedback. The controller is still useable.