Sign in to follow this  
troppo1

new GEX vs FTX Global

Are you serious about that - "replacing standard textures" and "not folowing FSX rules" etc?

Well, FSX default textures are not great, this is why we are buying texture replacement, right? And FTXG is by far the best available texture replacement we have. Maybe they have to do it that way, you must accept some compromises if you want quality. Nobody forces you to use FTXG.

I would understand this drama if FSX was perfect - plug and play product, and then somebody suddenly made a product that does not fit perfectly, like we would be used :) By FSX is about compromises and tweaking from day 1, after you add HIGHMEMFIX for the first time. We should be used with that. Not that FTXG realy has some problems. If something is not compatible, post in ORBX forums or forums of that problematic scenery, but please stop complaining about non-existent, potential issues and FSX rules.

It's same like asking Majestic to stop using external FDE, becouse that is not folowing FSX rules and my EZDOK camera and some ACARS is not working. Have Majestic broke my FSX?  :lol:

Please stop. It's not a real drama. Make a patch. Post in forums and will be corrected

B247NG,

Please do not misquote me.  I clearly stated that the textures were "reassigned", thus replacing what should be grass with grass+tress.  I'll be the first to admit that FSX would have died long ago without the wonderful texture "replacements" that have occurred over the years.  However, "replacing" a texture and "reassigning" a texture are two completely different matters.  When a company replaces an FSX texture, it is with the assumption that it is an improved, yet comparable, texture, i.e., grass=grass.  When a company REASSIGNS a texture, it could be grass=trees or grass=subdivision, etc, etc.  I've let Luis over at SBuilderX know about the issue, as he carries a little more weight than I do!  ;)

Much "drama" could be avoided if people were to read what I'm saying, and not try to read what "they think" I'm saying.  ORBX is an innovative company with great products.  They just need to work out a few of the bugs.

Paul, I think he alread took it to their forum but it seems it was overlooked. I think I have the same issue on a very cool freeware scenery for the Faroe islands by Ryan Andersen. These islands are supposed to have no trees at all (all cut & burned) and now I get them in the worst places.

Thanks, Jean-Paul.  It's nice to know I'm not just a "voice in the wilderness" on this topic.  I also have that "Faroe Island" scenery, and that is a perfect example!  Perhaps I should have illustrated my point in pictures... it probably would have gotten the point across faster and more effectively.  ;)

Live and learn!

Best,

Carlyle

My post was not addressed to Carlyle, but in general. Every few days there is a new thread or post about realy non-existent issues.  realy don't know to much about scenery development, but i think there must be a solution.

The reason that i am pretty reluctant when it comes to this issues is becouse i have realy a lot of scenery by different developers, i fly long haul to whole world, and i still can't see a single problem with FTXG. 

Carlyle, i am just curious, creating a "hole" for addon scenery, is that hard to do from developers point of view? It sounds pretty simple to do, and i'm sure that would exclude any compatibility issue

p.s. i hope you understand that no offense was intended

My post was not addressed to Carlyle, but in general. Every few days there is a new thread or post about realy non-existent issues.  realy don't know to much about scenery development, but i think there must be a solution.

The reason that i am pretty reluctant when it comes to this issues is becouse i have realy a lot of scenery by different developers, i fly long haul to whole world, and i still can't see a single problem with FTXG. 

Carlyle, i am just curious, creating a "hole" for addon scenery, is that hard to do from developers point of view? It sounds pretty simple to do, and i'm sure that would exclude any compatibility issue

p.s. i hope you understand that no offense was intended

B247NG,

I hear ya!  I tend to avoid the forums for exactly the reasons you state.  However, the topic of these texture "reassignments" in FTXG just hits too close to home, so I dived in head first.  I actually posted a related question to ORBX on August 26th and have not heard back from them.  But to answer your questions...

Creating a "hole" for an airport background that intersects with hand-drawn landclass can be time-consuming (with a complex scenery), but it is not a big issue.  However, it can only be done on the "developer" side to achieve the correct visual results.  I have no problems doing this, and from the developer side, it's probably always safe to create that "blank space" for the airport to reside anyway.

Now, the texture reassignment issue is a completely different problem, not to be confused with the scenery "hole" issue.  The reassignment of the grass texture affects everyone across the board.  This means that if 30 acres of grass was assigned to an area, it will appear as 30 acres of grass+trees with FTXG.  This may seem like a small (or even non-existent) issue on the end-user side, because the end-result may be that it "looks" more pleasing.  However, it can really mess up sceneries where grass is just supposed to be... grass!  ;)

What's even more puzzling to me is why FTXG reassigned certain textures at all.  Usually, the "reassigning" is done through a 3rd party landclass tool (like those made by Scenery Tech), and they do a great job without messing with the underlying architecture of the texture assignments.

I'm hoping that cooler heads will prevail and a reasonable solution can be found.  I truly am one of the "little guys" in this debate.  But because there are a lot of us out there doing this for free, you can probably see why it is in our interest to try to preserve some consistency, so that the community of FS developers who volunteers their talents can continue to do so freely and willingly.

Cheers!

Carlyle

... And there is an issue with the grass texture... 

And by the way, I love FTXG but I also would love that issue to be sorted out

As promised, I have created a "test" landclass to show whether or not grass LC is appearing correctly.  The file at AVSIM should help illustrate this easily. http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=grass-tree_test_for_ftxglobal.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Thanks,

Carlyle