Sign in to follow this  
ShawnG

Reality XP... somebody convince me

is Mindstar only 2D then?

Yes, but then, so is RXP... :P

In fact, all "gauges" are 2d only, except those that use embedded XML scripts in an interior model. That they can be used in a 3d virtual cockpit is due entirely to the modelers of any specific aircraft making provisions in advance for them to be installed. Absent those provisions however, and it simply cannot be done at all.

As for functionality of the forthcoming Mindstar versions, keep in mind that they have been (and still are being) developed for a professional marketplace. That they will be made available to FS users is a nice bonus, but not at all their primary target customers.

I know two of the principle programmers involved and they are without question very, very good and professional in their work. B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

you use your computer's bluetooth to connect wirelessly to the Garmin App. obviously for FF, you use FSGPS. for Garmin, you use the above.

Haven't heard of anyone doing this, but if it works, go for it.  No BT on my sim desktop so Garmin would've required a wired connection and some futzing to interface, but if you've got it and can make it work...

"having FSX's autopilot take instruction from the app" and "using FF to directly load FS flightplans" are two different things. for example, IGMapHD will load fs flightplans just fine, but it can't command the autopilot. I think, to be able to do that, you'd have to code a gauge into FSX that would interact with the App, and install that gauge.

That's why I originally tried to clarify what you were looking to do, as the way you were phrasing it was odd.  I wouldn't expect either the Garmin app or ForeFlight to do this - they wouldn't do what you're asking IRL either.  Of course, that doesn't mean there might not be a way to make them do that, but I'm not aware of any.  They're both the wrong tool for the job.

for example, RXP can command the AP, since it's a gauge, but it doesn't use fs flightplans (at least, not always)

Actually, they don't use fs flightplans at all.

As for functionality of the forthcoming Mindstar versions, keep in mind that they have been (and still are being) developed for a professional marketplace. That they will be made available to FS users is a nice bonus, but not at all their primary target customers.

I know two of the principle programmers involved and they are without question very, very good and professional in their work. B)

Bill, it's the whole "... not at all their primary target customers." thing that became clear when I and others asked specific questions.  The developer and programmers may be top flight, but as a lowly FSX end-user, it's practical use, integration and support that matter to me.  When I first looked at the Mindstar G1000, it seemed great, but it was hard to figure out where, how and with what it might work (other than a few default planes), and from the responses we got it seems clear the 530 and 430 will be pretty similar.

Not trying to knock Mindstar, I simply agree with your point that we're not their focus.

Scott

Umm, Mindstar G1000 owners can and do integrate into our Diamond DA42 Twinstar. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Well that's one...hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Umm, Mindstar G1000 owners can and do integrate into our Diamond DA42 Twinstar. B)

You can install it in the G1000 variant of the Milviz 310 as well, as I discovered sometime later (and that's a plane I even own), but that's the sort of thing I'm referring to, Ron.

Really, I'm not anti-Mindstar.

Scott

Scott, just pointing out integrations that can be overlooked... B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I had to think long and hard before deciding to spend the money for a RealityXP GPS system. I ultimately decided to get a 530/430 setup (no crossfill, etc., however) and couldn't be happier with it. Highly recommended.

Scott, just pointing out integrations that can be overlooked... B)

No problem, Ron.  You're right to do so.

Scott

I just bought the Mindstar 530. My first impressions, comparing it to RXP, are not positive. 4 points:

1) The NAV 2 screen is not a map view with NORTH up

2)  Display refresh period is 3 seconds (instead of 1). A slide show !

3) The CLR button does not provide the declutter functionality

4)  There is no wind direction arrow and speed displayed

Would anyone from Mindstar care to comment ??

Dave

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

There is an active Mindstar thread which you might want to post to..

Edit.. and I see you did.

B)

Bert