Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjjallen

RealTime / HyperThreading Observations

2 posts in this topic

Some users have been asking about the best settings for high-end systems so I've included an FSAssist screen shot below that may help.  These settings are for an IB system (with HT enabled) running at 4.7ghz with a dual SLI 680GTX setup.

Things to note are that this system is running with unlimited FPS which seems to work best on the system stated above and that FPS are generally in the 100+ range.

FSAssist002.PNG

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Running FSXAssist with Realtime Mode and HyperThreading can be give better FSX performance when viewed from the image below.  Notice that all cores beyond 0-3 (the tbottom 4 cores) are active loading scenery.  We all know that scenery has a large impact on FSX performance so this is desirable behavior.

Another thing to notice is that we are reserving core 0 (the very first) for addon processing and windows core services and that it has a consistently low cpu impact.  This is desirable behavior as it would be very bad to block on core 0.

We also can see that core 2 (3rd from the top left) is the most active.  This is because FSX is designed to offload most work to the second in line core.  In this case core 0 is reserved so core 2 becomes the target.  

My question is that since RealTime mode (screenshot #2)  will give FSX the most priority, is there any known way to make FSX redistribute primary work across cores, say cores 1-3?  I'm not sure if it is possible but just wondering.  

fsx_cpu.png

fsassist002.png

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software