Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Tutorial Video - Tutorial 1

Great video Kyle,  Thanks for your efforts on this and all the other videos you have done.  I found the flight planning one very helpful also.

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

Y'all gotta read the manuals - they are, dare I say, as enjoyable and captivating as flying this wonderous aircraft itself (well that might be a slight stretch..but only slight) There's a veratible treasure trove of information, tips, how-to's and just "plane" fascinating nuggets in there. The detailed introduction is as good a place as any to start - just getting my memory refreshed on fsx.cfg necessities was worthwhile as it's been so long since I looked in there and sure enough, somewhere over the years, several pc's and installs later my WideViewAspect setting was incorrect.

I personally enjoyed the "How to taxi like a pro" in the flight crew training manual and even discovered through the manual that I could tweak some basic aircraft settings through Ops Center - very useful since I'm at work and can't use RDP to go home and run FSX to tweak some stuff. Even reading about the equipment in the crew rest areas was educational!

So, if you're like me and stuck in the office where you can't fly - make the time pass more enjoyably by reading the manuals (whilst appearing like you're doing actual work) I gaurantee you'll find something you didn't know before or get reminded of something you long ago forgot - assuming youtube is blocked by your corporate firewalls so you can't watch these awesome tutorial videos as well. Who knows, maybe an hour spent doing this will avoid having to post something in these forums where you'll receive the customary response from the occasionally intollerable Mr. Care Bears and Pink Daisy's :P

• Upvote 1

Informative tutorial and video. Using it for another flight. Great job Kyle. 

Just one question,what I dont understand is why they have you slowing down so early. 20nm out?  ATC would be freaking as far as I know because it backs everything up. Talk to some RW controllers and they hate that.  Even if you listen to liveatc, they keep saying keep the speed up and they are not slowing down to Vapp until about 5 miles out. 

As such im keeping practice to keep my speed up until about 10 miles out I go to 180 and down to Vapp at 5 miles out. If your stabilised, it can be done and requires planning and preparation to know what to do. (NGX and MD11. Havnt tried it on the 777) I could be wrong about all this, but its just RW observations and in talking to some controllers I know no matter the aircraft. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Just one question,what I dont understand is why they have you slowing down so early. 20nm out?  ATC would be freaking as far as I know because it backs everything up. Talk to some RW controllers and they hate that.  Even if you listen to liveatc, they keep saying keep the speed up and they are not slowing down to Vapp until about 5 miles out. 

This is a tutorial on how to get the aircraft to do what you want to do - not on the more complex issues of complying with ATC.  I'll do another tutorial on all of that.

...but to address your comment: yes and no.  It depends on the TRACON and how they handle sequencing.  To a facility with a single runway, sometimes speed is all you can adjust, and then it just extends out (like you mentioned).  To a facility with multiple runways, they normally do a combination of both (tiny speed restrictions and the rest by vector).  More often than not, you're right in that many facilities will hammer a bunch of aircraft in with "180 or greater until the final approach fix," or similar.

...again though, this is just a "how to fly the plane" type of thing.

Kyle Rodgers

...again though, this is just a "how to fly the plane" type of thing.

Understood. Sorry. Didnt want to complicate things. 

I havnt taken the step yet to get on Vatsim, as I keep procrastinating, but I think its good practice for what could be an inevitable request. 

Flying KORD-EGLL right now. Definitely fun to fly. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png