Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Tutorial Video - Tutorial 1

When I do this I don't have ground power. So I have to start my APU and then use the FMC to give the ground crew a order to connect power.

Read the intro manual.  Please.  We spent a long time coming up with what would trip you guys up, and this keeps coming up over and over again as we had expected.  I know this is in there because I wrote this one, too.

To be nice about it, I'm going to explain it now, but as repayment, I'm expecting that you'll go read the intro manual:

BATT power only gives you just about enough power to start the APU.  The 777 is a very power hungry aircraft, and giving everything access to BATT power would drain it very quickly.

In order to get access to the FMC to enable ground power through the menus, hold down the MENU button for a few seconds.  It will then power that CDU, allowing you access to PMDG SETUP and FS ACTIONS (the latter being where you'll find the GND PWR settings).

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry for the trouble Kyle my mistake. But nevertheless thanks for the reply.

Martin Maaskant

ALT326

Visit www.altairva.com

On a non-RNAV departure, is it typically the taught practice to arm/use VNAV, use FLCH, or airline specific for second segment climbs?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Sorry for the trouble Kyle my mistake. But nevertheless thanks for the reply.

No problem - I'm just keyed up because I keep having to repeat myself all over the forum.  Not just you.

On a non-RNAV departure, is it typically the taught practice to arm/use VNAV, use FLCH, or airline specific for second segment climbs?

RNAV or ANAV, it doesn't really matter much.  Why would there be a difference?

(I'm partially posing that hypothetically to get you thinking about it...)

It's really airline specific - heck, SWA didn't use AT or VNAV (I'm sure about the former, not so much about the latter) for quite some time for whatever reason.

Kyle Rodgers

RNAV or ANAV, it doesn't really matter much.  Why would there be a difference?

(I'm partially posing that hypothetically to get you thinking about it...)

It's really airline specific - heck, SWA didn't use AT or VNAV (I'm sure about the former, not so much about the latter) for quite some time for whatever reason.

I agree. Hence, the question. I've seen it both ways, depending on the Boeing and airline. Not as familiar with the 777 in the VNAV regard, airline I previously worked at used other Boeings and used FLCH for departures that included vectors to initial fixes. Asking the experts here who may have more experience than me with the real thing as a data point.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I really enjoy your videos Kyle. Not only are they informative, but they give me a quick fix of 777 until I can purchase mine.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

There's a written version at the end of the tutorial document, and if you watched the video, you'll note that I mentioned I'd add that to the tutorial #2 video.

Unfortunately, the C/D process, in and of itself, is a long process.  There's a huge simism out there where simmers believe that it's some normal thing, and it's not.  I get that there's a challenge associated with it, but in a plane like the 777 (at least in the passenger carrying realm) you're just not going to see it very often.

So you're saying that in real life, it's rare that pilots will enter a cockpit of a 777 that's in a C&D state? What state is it usually in? I am trying to mimic a realistic flight starting at the gate. Thanks for your videos.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

So you're saying that in real life, it's rare that pilots will enter a cockpit of a 777 that's in a C&D state? What state is it usually in? I am trying to mimic a realistic flight starting at the gate. Thanks for your videos.

Yes, that's normally the case. They're either taking a powered airplane from the previous flight or, if it's first thing in the morning, the ground crew will have at least turned on ground power.

There's a reason it's called cold and dark. Anyone who's ever worked midnight shift inside an unpowered aircraft knows why this is.

• Upvote 1

Walter Meier

Correct. These aren't like your regionals or other planes that only cross a few time zones. Say you're flying from IAD to MUC. You leave IAD at 1730, but by the time you get to MUC, it's around 0800. It leaves there at around 1130 and gets back here at around 1530. Over there, you have about 3 hours to service the plane, and back here, you have just under 3. That means the power has to be on to load the bags, fuel the plane, accept catering at some point in there (and there's a lot of that on internal all flights - don't be fooled by GSX's timing). Granted, the crew that flew it in isn't going to take it back out, but they're not going to shut it down (fully) because there's a lot of servicing to do in those few hours.

The crews will normally show up to a plane in long turn state, in my experience, but it depends on the route, and the airline (and in the other cases, it's short...very very rarely is it ever cold and dark in a 777).

It gets to sleep when it goes in for its checks and maintenance.

Kyle Rodgers

For the 777, generally I would expect a plane to be in short turn state at company base, probably long at outstation.

Cold and dark maybe for cargo, if they do morning in - evening out schedule.

For the 737s and smaller, cold and dark is a bit more common - if you overnight at outstation. But still not everyday occurrence.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Very, very nicely done. First rate intro. So good to know the learning curve is small coming from the 747 and perhaps not as small coming from the 757/767 but still in the Boeing big iron family. Thank you Boeing!

Very minor question. Would you turn on your VOR L&R as part of the EFIS panel setup? Or would that not be typical?

My middle mouse button doesn't close the multi switches any more. Any idea's?

Dave Taylor gb.png

My middle mouse button doesn't close the multi switches any more. Any idea's?

I found that middle mouse button does not work if mouse view is activated in EZCA if you use that.

Very minor question. Would you turn on your VOR L&R as part of the EFIS panel setup? Or would that not be typical?

Your discretion. There is no technical reason for it to be on or off.