Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

Formating help needed

Format a floppy with the /s option. Copy format.com/exe to the floppy. Reboot off the floppy, then format your drive from the floppy.Are you really sure that you need to re-format ?Mike

Guest B1900 Mech

(This works for me with Win-XP-Pro)Go into your bios and change your 1st bootup device to your CDROM. You should then be able to reboot with the Win-Xp cd in the cdrom. Then follow the prompts for Reformat and reinstall. Read up on this site http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm Before attemting This. Jim

Guest Dan CYKA

Thanks for the help Mike.I tried your suggestion but it says that the /s is an invalid syntax.I'm at a loss here. Yes I do need to reformat. As much as I hate to do it. kids, ya just gotta love em'. I have tried a restore point but that does not help. BTW, I am using Windows XP. I really hope I don't have to take it into the shop and pay somebody to reformat my drive.

Guest TheSidewinder

Dan,You CANNOT format the C drive! Windows is running on it!That's why you get the error. You cannot open a Command Prompt (some are calling it DOS. IT IS NOT DOS!!) and format a HDD with it. This was done by MS to prevent people from accidentally (or purposely, for the WRONG reasons) formatting their primary hard drive with the Windows partition on it, or ANY hdd because it usually has valuable data you don't want to lose.If you *have* to reformat C, that means you have to reinstall Windows XP. And the ONLY way to do that is to boot from the Windows CD in a CD-ROM drive, and let the installer reformat the HDD for you. There are MANY ways to install, too. One way is a small C partition, FAT-32 not NTFS, which WILL allow access from an older DOS-based boot diskette such as WIN98, 98SE, heck even DOS 6, and the remainder of the HDD as a D drive using NTFS.Another way is the whole HDD as an NTFS partition (which will NEVER allow you to access the HDD from a DOS-based boot disk) for speed.Each way has its advantages, but I use NTFS all the way and backup my data to tape for safekeeping.Hope this helps. You really do need a local computer geek to help you if you haven't done this before. Hope someone in your neighborhood is so qualifed. These days, it seems that any neighbor kid will do. ;)Mark

Guest Ken_Salter

Is drive C your boot drive? If so, the only way to reformat is to boot from a floppy or CD. You cannot format the drive you have booted an OS from since the OS has that drive locked (as you found out).If you boot the XP CD - it will want to install on the c drive. You can tell it to destroy the partition (all data lost), recreate the partition, reformat (using NTFS or FAT32), then install a squeaky clean OS.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Guest daveg4otu

Someone say if I'm wrong but surely ,if at total format is needed,the easiest way would be to boot using an ME/98 floppy(Which files can be easily downloaded if not available, and the floppy made).Then start the PC with the flopy after setting "Floppy " as 1st Boot in BIOS,Format,reset BIOS to CDROM as "1st Boot" .Boot from the CD and choose NTFS or FAT 32 during setup.Dave