Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

Impact of PMDG's B777 on X-Plane-community?

The PDMG 777 might keep people on FSX and give new life to it, but that's at the expense of the MSFS "platform" which is now carried by Prepar3d.

The PDMG 777 actually auto-quits the entire program if it detects that it's installed into P3D. So users now must have an FSX installation separate from P3D if they didn't already, and lose out on any P3D fixes and improvements while flying the 777. Already there's grumbling as people didn't clearly understand the requirements and they bought a $90 non-refundable add-on they can't use.

I don't see any particular impact on XP in the near future, but it seems a line has been drawn in the MSFS world, that as consumers they can't "cheat" the P3D EULA and enjoy its fixes/improvements for much longer, if they want the goodies still being released for FSX.

Protection to PMDG I believe with the licensing issues!   But to be fair, PMDG NEVER said that it would work (even with "cheating" the P3D setup), so buying that is like hoping that it would work in FS9, not good idea unless the developer CONFIRMS it.

Kind regards.

Well.. let me put it this way. I had (almost) decided that I wasn't going to put any more money in the FSX-platform (although that Majestic Dash-8 has been tempting me for some time now).

X-plane has, during the past months, become my number one sim. I like it alot (even if I get the feeling that the development has kind of slowed down lately). Seeing videos of the PMDG777 this "no-more-fsx-addons" thinking just had to be re-evaluated. I have Ramzes 777 (among others). It's a really nice plane. But this, however, is just in a different league. This made me dig up my trusted old 737NGX from PMDG and I've been taking it for a couple of spins. Partly to test the 737, but also to re-acquaint myself with FSX. The 737 sure is a performer. There just is no real comparison to anything else. The 777 seems to be even better than this. The bar has been raised way above the competition at this point. 

So for me, the impact is huge. 

The PMDG 777 will be bought and it seems like it's back to FSX for a little while now. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Have to give FSX third party developers a :Applause: as they have within a year re transformed the little engine that won't quit. From DX-10, weather, textures, and planes it almost looks and feels like a next-gen Sim.  Aren't they working on importing Openstreetmap data also?

The PMDG 777 will be bought and it seems like it's back to FSX for a little while now.

Do it Richard!  The sooner the better - you are wasting a lot of precious time in that remarkable aircraft. I am speachless when trying to find words to describe it.

I re-installed FSX  because I feared somehow it might not work in P3D. I also followed carefuly a few tutorials, by NickN and Word Not Allowed, and optimized my system to get the best out of the good old FSX. It runs smoothly, and appart of sme bugs on specific aircraft, I never had a CTD in FSX! 

The PMDG777 has the same footprint with FSX that the NGX has. It's minimal, runs smooth as silk, and above all, and contrarily to the model we have for X-Plane 10, it doesn't bring the most weird and irritating bugs and limitations I was confronted with.

Just did an autoland at extreme weather conditions, and using FSGRW you bet these are as extreme as they can be in X-Plane! Guys, it nailled it to the stop, not a glitch! PERFECT!  

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Products like this PMDG777, the recently released ORBX FTX Global, are unique, and the truth is, we stiull do not have anything that compares to them in the X-Plane world

Don't compare and just enjoy jcomm. I'm glad you've acquired the mighty T7. I too have several of PMDG's fantastic planes, unfortunately FSX just doesn't cut it for me. With my current pc specs, FSX just can't match XP performance/fluidity and I'm not about to spend $1200 on a new system when other games like Grid2 (which I'm really enjoying) show excellent performance with quite high eye-candy.

Come on X-Aviation, (Goran) bring out the SAAB, this waiting is killing me!!!!   :crazy:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Ah!   X-Aviation / LES, now we're talking!

Lately I use to say that I do not own X-Plane 10 or have it installed. Rather, I have a simulator for a Seneca a Baron58 and a Beechcraft A33, and a simulator for a MU-2 and a DC-3.

I start each of this simulators, which, by coincidence use X-Plane as a platform :-)

Some products make a sim worth the use, even if other problems can be rather dsitractive / destructive....

For some reason the Saab 340 wasn't released in a month... For some reason the dc-3 and the MU-2 are simply a charm to fly and look at, the same applying to the Carenados I own, thanks to the tallent of their designer as well.

Yes, for me, as I use to write, LES is on pair with PMDG just as much as A2A is with Carenado for X-Plane...

Honor mention for Peter too, but the limitations of the panel and systems modelling are forcing me not to include it in my list of preferred aircraft.

Very Honorable mention to Felis as well, although I still do not own any of his aircraft for X-Plane 10 64 bit, and that great IL2 still works only in the 32 bit I now never start...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Aren't they working on importing Openstreetmap data also?

They do: http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=38265&p=11

But FSX just isn't a sim for low-end systems. If you don't have a high end 4GHz+ overclocked CPU, or/and much much time to learn how to configure a fsx.cfg file, then you'll not get a good experience. And it's confirmed in the PDMG forum, in the most popular thread about FPS: "it's all about the config". Who made a long haul flight ?

I like it when it's all about flying. :wink:

I like it when it's all about flying.

Very true indeed and this is why I'm sticking with XP. No hassles what so ever, just PERFECT even with all of its imperfections.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Don't compare and just enjoy jcomm. I'm glad you've acquired the mighty T7. I too have several of PMDG's fantastic planes, unfortunately FSX just doesn't cut it for me. With my current pc specs, FSX just can't match XP performance/fluidity and I'm not about to spend $1200 on a new system when other games like Grid2 (which I'm really enjoying) show excellent performance with quite high eye-candy.

Come on X-Aviation, (Goran) bring out the SAAB, this waiting is killing me!!!! :crazy:

The problem for me is if I add Simheaven OSM into the mix take off say at Glasgow, I can feel XP struggling; not quite stutters but not silky smooth, and I don't max out my settings. In FSX on the other hand I can take off from UK2000 Glasgow airport with FTX Scotland, one notch off full autogen and THAT is as smooth as silk. Go figure!

The problem for me is if I add Simheaven OSM into the mix take off say at Glasgow, I can feel XP struggling; not quite stutters but not silky smooth

Its OSM+Autogen that brings my system down to its knees, OSM by it self works just fine.

In FSX on the other hand I can take off from UK2000 Glasgow airport with FTX Scotland, one notch off full autogen and THAT is as smooth as silk. Go figure!

I've seen FSX perform very well with high end o/c intel chips.

I'm planning on a system upgrade for next year, waiting for newer generation intel chips and more powerful GTX's. My reason is OSM+Autogen and HDR, with today's generation mobo/cpu/gpu's, these two options alone can bring most high-end systems down to their knees.

Hopefully by then we'll have more XP features. This is from Ben's blog:

"I also had some time to do some OpenGL modernization over the last two weeks before vacation.  This code does not directly improve X-Plane, but it sets us up to improve performance: once we have more modern code we can get access to newer GPU features"

and

"Now that we have a stable 64-bit build out, we’re writing code that looks to build the future of X-Plane, rather than just fixing its past.  So the quiet you hear now should hopefully turn into good features in the future."

Carlos

SimHeaven OSM is not a good example: they ask X-Plane to display buildings from a distance of 40 or 50 kilometers. They should change their LOD, it's an option in OSM2XP.

They should change their LOD, it's an option in OSM2XP

Wow, no wonder, thx for pointing it out Max.

I just bought the pmdg 777 and wow it's like buying a nice sharp suit, the feeling and everything is just right and works as advertised, zero frustration. And what's the meaning for me and my XP10 setup? Only that I maxed out my add on budget for the month. You see I like a lot both sims, with both I've found the near perfect match.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

Alexander Colka

Wait until XPlane 10.30 to come out, then you will see the FlightFactor 757 release, which I will get.  I use both and I simply found the PMDG 777 vastly superior to the Xplane WorldLiner 777, so that's where I spent my money.  For 5 bucks extra and I don't have to buy extra liveries (a silly cash grab on Xplane land) I get a closest thing as possible to the real thing.  I am also waiting for the IXEG 737-300 (?) as well.  PMDG plane for XPlane will take time but they will be there, giving xplane user base to grow up.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Do it Richard!  The sooner the better - you are wasting a lot of precious time in that remarkable aircraft. I am speachless when trying to find words to describe it.

Hear, Hear jcomm!  P3D is unfortunately gone from my HD.  I have been back to FSX for a while and now don't tweak it any more.  The only planes I fly there are PMDG NGX, MD-11, 777, A2A Cub, Marcel Felde DA-20 and RealAir Legacy and Turbine duke.  That's it.  These aircrafts use FSX to simulate the aircrafts, and the sim experience is what counts.  I fly the Carenado F33A, The ShadeTreeMicro bush package, the excellent Mu-12, the X-Aviavion Corvalis and the CRJ-200.  And a few other excellent freewares.  The bottom line, it's the aircraft system and simulation excellence that counts.  Not platform!

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020