Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Out Of Memory

Yes. Absolutely. Ryan, from PMDG got into my computer at one point, and turned off a bunch of MegaScenery Earth and any photoscenery that I wasn't using for a flight. I immediately gained 1 Gig of VAS.

My suggestion is to first get the "Scenery Config Editor" http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/V1.0/ and "Process Explorer" http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

With these tools you can instantly turn off or on scenery before starting FSX (also use it to activate scenery with FSX off) and monitor FSX's VAS while it is running to see what else you need to do to manage resources.

Sweet. I will try that as soon as I load up FS again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I have battled this a bit with ConcordeX when flying between EGLL and KJFK. If you fly only in windowed mode it helps a lot. If like me you don't like this mode then download the program that removes the windows border. I will post link here when I find it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52676345/Windowed_Borderless_Gaming/WindowedBorderlessGaming_1.1.1.2.zip

Here you go.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Scott, why do you keep misunderstanding every single post? With "should" I don't simply mean: PMDG creates the 777 and it should by default simply have the same VAS usage as the NGX. No I mean, PMDG creates the 777 and SHOULD tweak it so that its VAS usage will become on par with the NGX more or less, even if that means we'll lose detail.

Of course, you can play with sliders. But I'm living in 2013, I have sorta gotten tired or constantly playing with settings. When I bought the 777 from PMDG, I expected them to have tweaked the VAS usage so it's on par with the NGX, simple. I'd rather have slightly lower detail in my cockpit and the same detail in my scenery as I had before, than I have to keep playing with sliders all the time.

This is a very interesting, detailed and educational thread, thank you everyone who's patiently discussing!

Re: the 777 vs. 737NGX: we can't know what contributes to the way memory is being consumed. There are a LOT more settings, far more sophisticated modeling of, for instance, the electrical systems, a bunch of improvements in detail. And a massively greater number of config settings in the FMC, which can persist per livery (I consider that a wow; means I have a wide variety of 777 variants before we even get to PMDG's other planned 777 variants on the way).

So it's fundamentally apples to oranges.

It's new! Optimizations, memory issues, fixes, all in the cards I'm sure! Don't forget these cycles with every major release.

But the fundamental thing is: YES if you use FSX..... you are constantly adjusting settings.

What worked tonight for my Aerosoft Twin Otter X flying into a thunderstorm at dusk around Vancouver (that was amazing, btw; REX weather....), would NOT have worked with the 777 Air India in the same conditions.

I know a lot of what I'd have to change, and would have to learn more, since the plane is new to me.

If you don't like this about FSX..... go get GTA V on PS4, it's got real gang members doing VO, for the realism, and you won't have to tweak a thing on your magic console; it will just work.

It'll also be profoundly more mindless fun.

You have a choice! Stay and be patient and learn, or go gang-banging (virtually). No-one is forcing your hand either way.

I'm now going to put my sim back to bare basics and add this and that until I find the sweet spot, as many people have suggested in the past.

After not experiencing one OOM with any simulator time prior to the 777, then getting one on her maiden voyage was rather disappointing, and I get why people are saying "but my NGX works!".  That disappointment shortly went away after I played with the autogen slider, and changed my REX clouds to a slightly lower setting, and lowering the quality of FSDT's CYVR.  

I am happy now!  

You have to get process explorer and see what is hitting your FSX hardest, and compromise.  I think turning off all un-used scenery is stupid and shouldn't need to be done (at least on my system) so I don't do it.  

Every user is different, every PC is different, so the answer is not cut and dry.  

I'm actually very happy to hear that the NGX had a little VAS upgrade in a service pack.  Is this true?  If so, then relax gents!  A service pack might come out addressing this hot thread.  Who knows.  In the meantime just play with your sliders  :lol:

It is also possible that PMDG knew about this but still released the product to see how it would effect this community, and by the looks of it the problem is quite bad, so yes, something must definitely be done.

Your absolutly correct and they warned you about it from day one.

4660i.png

PMDG Gave you guys everything you wanted except for the weather & taxi cam.

"Could you change this, Could you change that"

"Little bleeding here. little bleeding there" and which prayers was answered.

in which i know needs resource in doing so.

Look into your Processes, Their could be many things that could be shutdown thats not needed during simming.

Rant from Neutral grounds from a FS9 Simmer.

The 777X used 300 more mb at FT Tampa compared to the Ngx. I've done three flights so far. Conservative settings; 1024, 4.5-5.5 lod, normal autogen, no cars, 40% ut2 traffic, orbx pnw, ftxg, utx. I flew the tutorial to FT Dubai, 8x auto cruise. Kpae to FT Tampa, 4x auto cruise. Kmem to Panc, no auto cruise. Absolutely no fps(a little low at Dubai) or oom issues. I really ca not fathom how everyone is having all these issues. Maybe you have a corrupt install and there's a memory leak or something. 300 more mb vas for the 777. If you were at 3.7 with the ngx, you're really asking too much from fsx

Ftxg default leaves orbx airports enabled in the scenery library. Disabling those when not in the area saved me 150 mb. Disabling the orbx dlls from running saved another 30mb. Its imperative you disable addon sceneries you're not using.

Sorry but thats a very ignorant statement. You just dont get it. Reread this whole entire thread. There is plenty of solutions. AGAIN. Its not PMDGs fault. Not the 777, not the NGX. Its YOU. If you dont believe me, run process explorer, run fsx, and load up to some place in the middle of nowhere with the 777. I guarantee you your VAS wont be much over 2gb. If your in the middle of nowhere with the 777 and you have high VAS, you have an issue with your setup. reread the thread again.  If you cant implement the solutions given, then FSX is not for you. plain and simple. Its not all on PMDG, FSDT or any developer. Balance and sensibility.  

Well put!!! People are not accepting the limitations of FSX. They want all the eye-candy, and unfairly blame the aircraft when the sim collapses from the strain (and buggy programming in the case of certain FSX features).

Eye-candy or stability. Pick ONE.

Best regards,

Robin.

If you were at 3.7 with the ngx, you're really asking too much from fsx

I'm thinking this is the issue.  Just drop a few sliders etc etc etc 

Cloud textures above 1024 are totally unnecessary and unacceptable for those who want to avoid these OOM conditions.

Alexis Mefano

I'm planning a flight from fsdt Vancouver to the mother of all orbx airports, Brisbane. I don't anticipate any problems. The length of the flight should not cause an oom. If it does, there's something wrong with your fsx/777 install and the way it manages memory. Fsx will remove memory it doesn't need. Maybe not as efficiently as it should. I really hope everyone who is having issues gets them fixed. The 777 is awesome The backlash on the 777 is unwarranted. The majority of us are not having any oom problems.

The backlash on the 777 is unwarranted. The majority of us are not having any oom problems.

Just remember most of us with OOM problems are not lashing out against the 777 itself.  Some are, but remember most are not.  

Just remember most of us with OOM problems are not lashing out against the 777 itself. Some are, but remember most are not.

Agreed. I don't blame the plane. I just want to know how to fix my sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

never get OOM and my FSX is pretty much loaded with sceneries and REX and other things.. BUT! im getting oft [1 from 10] "FSX Stopped working".. with UIAutomationCore.dll fix installed and registred. The "funny" thing is that i get it only when im on final.. Coincidence? (happening with 744,NGX and MD11 too)

Enough. We do not believe there is any inherent flaw in the 777 causing these issues. It uses marginally more VAS then the NGX did (800 vs. around 700). I literally just tested this again myself. We are not going to entertain further threads on this issue - follow the guidelines in the manual please.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com