Sign in to follow this  
elmucki

The possibility of a 2D panel?

What I don't get is why PMDG keep allowing these threads to get pages long.....

Rob Prest

At least he didn't ask for weather radar too.

Give it time, my friend. As in Top Gun, the list [of silly gripes] is long but distinguished.

My understanding is that the FAA has mandated that with any simulator used to qualify for flight training- any gauges, instruments, switches, buttons etc shown on the display, must have a fixed location on the display. (ie panning/zooming not permitted)

That follows the logic of a real flight deck where everything on the panel is fixed- ALWAYS in the SAME spot, as expected by the pilot(s). And that is what you get with 2D presentation. 

Here is a 5 year old screenshot of the PMDG 747 in 2D with just about every popup available for that old lovely lady- INCLUDING the 1st officer instruments - AND triple 2D views LFwd,Fwd & RFwd - all synched into a single - 135º panorama, where you need no panning nor zooming.

Sadly this approach seems to be dead. Enough said.

january

(Turning left over English Bay, near Vancouver BC.)