Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

No longer seeing FPS increase with DX10

I was playing with DX10 last night in anticipation of the DX Fixer coming out, and noticed that I no longer see an FPS improvement with DX10.  In fact, I was sometimes seeing a 25% loss!  Before I was seeing some increase (can't remember how much) as well as some smoothness improvements.

The only two things that I can think of that I may have done since the last time I tried DX10 are:

1) tried this:  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58637-improving-fsx-via-windows/  That gave me a huge increase in FPS when using DX9.  Maybe using DX10 is somehow negating it...? 

2) I may have run my .cfg through the tweaking tool.  I just read through the DX10/ATI guide and can try a fresh .cfg with just the fixes recommended in there to see if that makes any difference, but I'm almost positive that I haven't changed my .cfg since my last experiments with DX10.

I have an HD6770M card and I think my CCC version is 12.x.  Because I use an HP latptop with switchable graphics, I can't really update my drivers.  But I should still have the same drivers that I had when DX10 gave me an FPS boost.  Using or not using RadeonPro made no difference last night - FPS was bad in DX10 with or without it.

Any other suggestions?  To be honest after applying that fix from ORBX and adding SweetFX, my DX9 FSX looks pretty freaking good, so unless there is something obvious to try with DX10, I'll probably just stick with DX9.

The ORBX tweak-page is new to me, and I wonder why a pagefile size of 25 GB would help. I recently turned off the pagefile because I was going to defrag my HDD, and forgot to turn it on again afterwards. FSX still works without OOM because I always free up RAM to 5 GB minimum before starting FSX (I use Alacrity to turn off unneeded services and programs) so without the pagefile and enough GB's free in RAM seems to work too. Normally I have my pagefile size at 8 GB and I will turn it on again now. Makes no difference as far as I can see.

I know Windows places non-urgent services and program in de pagefile so it's good to have it on, but as long as you have a minimum of 4 / 5 GB's free before FSX it shouldn't be a problem for all I know. I can't think of any reason why a huge pagefile might help. But then again, some things work differently than you might think, which is especially the case with Windows and FSX :P

I doubt settings at this level are having a different impact on DX9 vs DX10, but you could test this if you want.

An update on this:

I somehow missed before that this is a DX10 w/ A2A C172 issue.  I went back today and compared DX9/DX10 with the stock C172 and saw the improvements with DX10 that I had initially expected.  I jumped back into the A2A C172 and my FPS in the cockpit dropped from "locked at 30" to 18-22.  In external views it jumped back up to 30.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the cockpit shadows in the A2A C172, but I really don't know...  I'm not sure why the A2A cockpit shadows would have a bigger impact than the stock cockpit shadows.

Any thoughts?

No particular thoughts as to a reason for the frame rate issue, Mal, but I also have what I think is a major frame rate issue with this aircraft, and I'm puzzled as to why no-one else except you, has mentioned it, or experienced it.

One can run DX10 down into the high teens without stutters, but I'm concerned, because not everyone has 5 gig and a 780.  Flying around the PNW - I'm getting drops down those low figures in different areas, and no high numbers with any kind of "solid-ness" that all the other aircraft have. I can switch to any aircraft and immediately - back up to 29-30. 

This is puzzling, - not a show-stopper, but I'm sure A2A will say "No-one else has this problem"

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul

That is disappointing - I was looking forward to getting the new C172 and having those but if it doesn't perform well in DX10 I will probably give it a pass. :(

Regarding the VC shadows, if you disable "Aircraft casts shadows on itself" in the FSX settings does that have any effect on your framerate vs using the VC shadows?

Brent

I have been using and loving DX10 and SweetFx for almost a year now and a big Thank You to Paul, Steve and others at Avsim for the excellent guide and hard work!

I just took my A2A C172 up for a flight in bright sunlight to check the FPS question. I made turns, climbs and dives to really move the shadows to all the areas of the cockpit. Also did all the standard outside views. There was absolutely no change in the locked 30fps - just the usual 29.8 to 30.1. On my system, DX10 with the  A2A C172 has no effect on FPS. I hope this helps others that may be hesitant to try the C172 with DX10.

Lyn

Would you mind posting your Inspector settings and your fsx.cfg here, Lyn: I'm curious to see how we're differing. I've just dropped the BP back to "1" with the small RT, and it made a slight difference. I've loaded everything back to my normal, but she's way down compared to all of the other aircraft I have in the stable, bouncing anywhere from 15 right up to 30, with FSGRW on, PNW 3000' flying from Arlington  to Victoria.

Use the "More Reply Options" and save the file as"Lyn_fsx_cfg.txt" - that way it will attach to the post, instead of copy/pasting the whole thing over four or five screen!

Many Thanks,

pj

Paul

That is disappointing - I was looking forward to getting the new C172 and having those but if it doesn't perform well in DX10 I will probably give it a pass. :(

Regarding the VC shadows, if you disable "Aircraft casts shadows on itself" in the FSX settings does that have any effect on your framerate vs using the VC shadows?

Brent

Yes, but minimal. We get hung up on frame rates (thanks, DX9), and it's a human failing to follow the herd,: the thing is - DX10 allows for a wide band of frame numbers where it is barely possible to see any hesitations or stutters, - right down to 16 - 17 or so, and so it's probably best to turn it on once or twice to see just what it is, and then to turn the dxxxx thing off, period! 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I think the issue is his processor, according to his system specs, he's running an I7 but only at 2.0Ghz, he's bound to have problems with detailed aircraft whether he's using DX9 or DX10.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Would you mind posting your Inspector settings and your fsx.cfg here, Lyn: I'm curious to see how we're differing. I've just dropped the BP back to "1" with the small RT, and it made a slight difference. I've loaded everything back to my normal, but she's way down compared to all of the other aircraft I have in the stable, bouncing anywhere from 15 right up to 30, with FSGRW on, PNW 3000' flying from Arlington  to Victoria.

Use the "More Reply Options" and save the file as"Lyn_fsx_cfg.txt" - that way it will attach to the post, instead of copy/pasting the whole thing over four or five screen!

Many Thanks,

pj

Yes, but minimal. We get hung up on frame rates (thanks, DX9), and it's a human failing to follow the herd,: the thing is - DX10 allows for a wide band of frame numbers where it is barely possible to see any hesitations or stutters, - right down to 16 - 17 or so, and so it's probably best to turn it on once or twice to see just what it is, and then to turn the dxxxx thing off, period! 

The unfortunate thing for me is that it is not a smooth drop in fps.  It's very jerky and noticeable even without the FPS showing.

I think the issue is his processor, according to his system specs, he's running an I7 but only at 2.0Ghz, he's bound to have problems with detailed aircraft whether he's using DX9 or DX10.

While I agree my processor is a lot less powerful than what most use for FSX (and that may be the root cause of the issue here), I will just clarify that the processor is running "Boosted" to 2.9ghz when I'm using FSX.

Paul,

Here is the fsx.cfg but how do I attach the NI settings??

Lyn

Paul

So true and I haven't paid attention to frame rates when simming since HW caught up to FSX.  When I saw your post about frames dropping I unfortunately envisioned a stuttering mess....should have read your post more carefully.  I think I'll give the C172 a whirl!

While I agree my processor is a lot less powerful than what most use for FSX (and that may be the root cause of the issue here), I will just clarify that the processor is running "Boosted" to 2.9ghz when I'm using FSX.

Hey I feel your pain! I only have a 3Ghz C2D system myself, to make matters worse, it's running 32bit Vista. So not only do I have to deal with performance issues with complex aircraft, I have to be more conscious of VAS usage. Which is why I had to switch to DX10 with the PMDG 777. That solves my issue with address space with this aircraft, but on my system DX10 doesn't perform as well as DX9. Mainly due to the application controlled AA. On faster systems with more cores that's not an issue  and is actually faster then DX9, but on my system it's slower. Even so, I do find DX10 is smoother (Less stuttering) then DX9, so I can manage.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d