Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Maybe PMDG's choice can solve a problem.

So we know the T7 won't work, but, that may not be so bad. Let me explain, Both FSX and P3D have a problem when too many large programs are used during flight, the "out of memory" issue. Why not enjoy all your add-ons, just not at the same time, and without adding and deleting scenery for each flight. For commercial flying, I will use FSX, PMDG's aircraft and a few add-on airports, without ORBX, photoscenery and other memory hogs. Most of the flight is spent in the cockpit anyway. Then for GA aircraft, like the new A2A C172, I'll use P3D and ORBX add-ons and similar products in an environment where we do look around quite a bit. I don't wish to do myriad tweaks on FSX just to stretch a few more megabytes of memory out of it, and with slower aircraft flying shorter routes in P3D, the OOM's shouldn't be an issue on that platform. We don't have 1 perfect sim, but we can effectively use all of the great products that have been developed for them. REX should be OK on both.

James McLees

The 777 works just fine.

What are you talking about?

He means in prepar3d

Are you saying that you have PMDG's 777 working in P3D? Another poster and a responder stated specifically that it did not work on their P3D install, cited a message about the inconvenience and crashed the program.

James McLees

Ooms are user error not the sim's.

OOM's are a limitation of the 32 bit program"s 4GB ceiling and have been written about exhaustively.

James McLees

I mean ooms are caused by the user loading everything ever made for fsx(exagerration of course) at maximum settings and blaming the PMDG 777. Or using a 32 bit OS so vas isn't really 4gb. Or maybe some other system inconsistency that mismanages memory usage. Something I don't know. But I don't get oom errors and am conservative with settings. This is a flight simulator, not a cloud or traffic simulator. If you want to crank up cloud, lod, autogen, or traffic, ie eye candy don't do it in highly realistic large vas footprint airliners. Compromise; life is full of it. Until we have a 64 bit dx11 sim this is our reality.

To the OP, I agree - why not have both and use each one for the proper add-ons?

Of course we will have to be careful with some installers already aware of both versions!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Compromise,yes! Use the right tool for the job. I'm glad you guys get it. Initially I tried to migrate to P3D exclusively and was guilty of wanting everything running @ max on one platform. Madness.

I will thoroughly enjoy the T7 on FSX where 95% of the time, I will be in the cockpit. I will also enjoy FTX Global, ORBX sceneries and airports, while using great GA aircraft in P3D.

James McLees

I got to say that I had a very emotional initial reaction!

How dare they! LM,PMDG,& Tom, hereafter known as "TBT" (The Big Three)...how dare they!

How dare PMDG purposely break P3d with the T7???

...simple... As Tom said, EULAS are sacrosanct.... And because they can...and perhaps legally, should(I can't f**king believe you said that Chas)

Welllll... I decided that there's no sense in beating my head against a brick Wall, "TBT", so I'll simply say yes, I understand there are EULA(s), and yes I understand why, and yes I understand that Tom Owns Avsim, and yes I've been kicked by him before because there is no freedom of speech here.

...sooo, do I leave(again), or work within the existing constraints and exhibit(for me) an extra-ordinary modicum of diplomacy?

For now, I'll choose the latter...cause the Avsim members and their support are too important to me.

That said, I will simply say that P3d is my FS OF CHOICE, but, until LM or PMDG changes their EULA, I WANT THE BEST... And that seems to mean:

1. I want the PMDG T3 and;

2. I need to re-install FSX to do that, and;

3. I want to run P3d when not flying PMDG's products.

Givens:

I have the NGX and about 160GB OF P3d/FSX ADDONS.

I also have the Estonia migration tool.

Should we start a new thead "Flying P3d & RETRO-fitting FSX to work with PMDG PRODUCTS"?

Mission: What common files/ procedures can we implement/share between FSX and P3d to minimize resources such as disk space,memory and cost, thus optimizing the FSX-PMDG/P3d-everything else, experience?

...thoughts?

Regards,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I defined different profiles in FSX ("GA profile", "airliner profile", ...), so I just switch profiles, not sims.

And (Tom's) AVSIM is pretty democratic, the "fine print" simply states you can't demand democracy (like in "freedom of speech") here.

I defined different profiles in FSX ("GA profile", "airliner profile", ...), so I just switch profiles, not sims.

Well excuuuuuuuusemeeeeee....arrow thru the head as well....I thought this was the prepar3d forum....

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Let me explain, Both FSX and P3D have a problem when too many large programs are used during flight, the "out of memory" issue.

Alright, so what's the difference of having 100 addons split to two sims against 100 addons in one sim activated as needed?

Buuuut.... if you suggest FSX for commercial and P3D for GA, you might be right, for the time being... we still don't know what V2 will bring.

V2-A new LM EULA Stating that;

In recognition for the contributions made to Prepar3d by the flight Sim community, both commercial and freeware, and;

Acknowledgement of the fact that the very act of using Prepar3d, inately involves a perpetual requirement for learning;

That it's very use causes increase in flying skills, instrument implementation education, flight, navigation and aerodynamic concepts, the embodyment of education and;

ALL users, casual to Virtual Airline captains and First Officers, are defacto perpetual students of aviation, therefore;

Lockheed Martin here-by decides that, by using Prepar3d, smile creating education and Entertainment are inextricably bound.

It is there-fore the encumbent upon Lockheed-Martin to extend its EULA to include its use for Edu-tainment purposes.

...I dreamt last night...